Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Who did the music for Milk Race?
2010-12-28 16:51
Morpheus

Who did the music for Milk Race?

Talking about David Whittaker, is it 100 percent sure he did the music for Milk Race? This has been so obvious through out the years until I got talking to Tony Williams.

Here's our conversation:

Me: Milk Race -> I'm pretty sure David Whittaker made this music. Where did you find the information?

Tony: Unless they didn't use what I wrote, which is of course possible, I have a strong memory of using a piece I'd already written for my own amusement, when Milk Race came along needing something composing. I even remember the tune !!

Me: Please listen to the Milk Race tunes:
http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soasc/soasc_mp3/MUSICIANS/W/Whit..
http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soasc/soasc_mp3/MUSICIANS/W/Whit..

These are the only two tunes used apart from sound effects.

Tony: Well, neither of those is the piece I remember, so maybe they didn't use mine ...... although the short jingle sounds like a derivative of the main melody!

(New mail)

Hmmm ..... it seems that music for all version of Milk Race are credited to David Whittaker.

I know for certain I did the Spectrum version, and the following page (among others) says otherwise :-

http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/game_info.php?id_ele=MTQ0OTA=

Given that the following video from the Atari 800 version shows a title page with my name on it, and the tune sounds the same as one of the SID mp3s, I'd say the credits are incorrect. That's not going to change anything, if you see how many sites have it credited to David .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNbZgx6iiQ

Well, I don't really have the time to go into it further. It *was* over 20 years ago.

Me: Did you by any chance have Whittakers' music driver? Because it's his driver that's been used in the game.

Tony: That could explain it. We worked in the same building for a year or so. David was working for outside developers, while I did music for in-house games at Icon Design. We swapped drivers - my Spectrum one for his C64 one if I remember correctly.

I don't know how to get hold of David any more and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't remember either.

Any ideas?
2011-01-05 09:32
Morpheus

Anyone? Zyron? You ripped a lot of DW tunes. What do you think?
2011-01-05 11:07
iAN CooG

"Tony: Well, neither of those is the piece I remember, so maybe they didn't use mine "
this should clear any question I think. The C64 version IS by Whittaker, while the atari game was incorrectly credited to Tony.
All I know is that Whittaker has validated his tunes himself, I should ask the other HVSC member if they have the mails with him.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Bob/Censor Design
iAN CooG/HVSC
Acidchild/Padua
Ghost/Quantum
Case/Padua
Valsary/BD/ESM