Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Need for SID plugin for FF, IE, Chrome
2012-11-19 22:34
CreaMD

Need for SID plugin for FF, IE, Chrome

There was some old npsid.dll for that, but I suppose it's outdated/not supported anymore.

I think a new one should be made, for today's browsers.

Yes you can register the sidplay/w to open SID files directly, but something that would play it in browser (similar way as mp3 are played) would be cool.

Is there anyone that would be willing and able to make it?

I think we could set-up a donation account for that which could generate enough money to pay the programmers time for initial release, maybe even steady support.

2012-11-19 23:05
Rough
Account closed

I support that! Very much needed for my homepage.
2012-11-20 06:44
Fred

You can use JSidplay2 to run in a browser via an applet (Java needs to be installed). The following needs to be done:

- For the Applet version embed these HTML tags to your web-site and sign all jars
or grant them proper access rights.

- Hidden Applet (without UI) playing a SID:

<APPLET name="jsidplay" code="c64jukebox.SIDPlay" archive="c64jukebox.jar" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0 MAYSCRIPT >
</APPLET>
<A href="javascript:document.jsidplay.playSID('http://www.example.org/example.sid', 1)">Click to play example.sid (Song 1)</A>

Another way to play SIDs in the browser is to make use of the flash based player Tiny'R'Sid which is recently updated to play RSID files.
2012-11-20 11:07
CreaMD

Tiny'R'Sid is the closest to what I asked for. Will check it. Thanx

update: very convenient usage, but accuracy of emulation is a worse than in sidplay2/w. Probably because compromise for the sake of speed of the emulation. And I can't find the link to d/l the player etc. Weird. Aha!! It's only few weeks old. Cool find!
2013-01-07 11:16
Joe/Modern Arts
Account closed

Quote: Tiny'R'Sid is the closest to what I asked for. Will check it. Thanx

update: very convenient usage, but accuracy of emulation is a worse than in sidplay2/w. Probably because compromise for the sake of speed of the emulation. And I can't find the link to d/l the player etc. Weird. Aha!! It's only few weeks old. Cool find!

You guessed correctly: I made the design decision to trade in execution speed for a somewhat less accurate emulation. However there are also some effetcs inherent to the underlying TinySid logic - which tries to keep the executable small by sacrificing some accuracy. Still I am quite happy with the result :-)

The Main.swf can be easily downloaded/saved by pointing your browser directly to the respective URL. (see sample pages on my web page: http://www.wothke.ch/tinyrsid/ )
2013-07-16 11:32
CreaMD

Downloaded and checked the first release. It sounds better that I expected. I just tried with 2 tunes so far. One of them was mine. ;-) Anyway. Thumbs up. Cool cross-browser sidplayer plugin that can be counted with.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1
doctorfargo/Binary L..
Didi/Laxity
psenough
Guests online: 70
Top Demos