Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > mutant-x
2004-03-07 20:37
Pol Pot
Account closed

mutant-x

read a while ago online that mutant-x/ed was a fed. anyone have any info on this?

the original mutant-x was not ed. ed was originally "mr. cbm" and put out a modified phreaker version of eagleterm (6.1 i believe it was) back in the day in Ohio. i would guess 1985 or 1986. i was back there in college and put up HIC for the first time in 1984. ed ran another local bbs, i can't recall the name at the moment. at any rate, the original mutant-x was a very cool, very elite-for-his-time pirate/trader from Texas around the same time Silicon Pirate was rocking things on HIC as well. we got along great and he pointed me to "the swap shop" and "the great britain III" both great pirate boards in texas. after i moved back to california and put up the BBS he was a regular caller.

later, in the 90's, after i had lost touch, ed came around as "mutant-x". he was calling me all the time trying to find out about carding/phreaking etc., and was pretty shocked when i remembered that he was not the original mutant-x but had stolen that nickname figuring nobody would remember him as "mr. cbm". he rubbed me the wrong way, and then later i read that he had been busted and was working for the feds.

where the original, ultra-cool, mutant-x went, i have no idea.

2004-03-08 15:37
Six

Ohio? Which AC?
2004-03-10 00:12
Pol Pot
Account closed

he was near Dayton so i figure it must have been 513.

i dug this out, from a few years back (2002):

THE FOLLOWING HAS APPEARED ON SEVERAL WELL KNOWN HACK/PHREAK BBS's

Be on the Look out for: Mutant-X!

He is a narc working for the Columbus Police Department. He busted
a guy by the handle of Scotty by acting like his friend and then
reporting back to the police.

If he is on your bbs, please be careful, he is not trustworthy.
His real name is Ed and he lives in Grove City, OH, but works for the
Columbus police.

He is busting people for the System 75 PBX hacking.

His previous handle is Iceman.

This is all the info we have available.

2004-03-10 03:34
Six

Hmm... It sounds like an amalgam of two notorious 513 characters. Ice Man was Mike Maryo, who started out as everyone's friend in the scene, but eventually became the most hated person in the 513 (Cincy) scene. He narked out a bunch of people locally, and eventually couldn't show his face under any handle on any Commodore system in town. The last I heard of him in the Commodore scene, he'd left town to go to school in Dayton. Perhaps it's the same guy. I can only imagine that wherever that guy went, he would have found trouble.

The other guy was Ed Fromeyer, who called himself "Wally Bignut" and was associated with Phil from USSPE. He and Phil pretty much made a practice of harassing people in the local scene. They had access to some warez, (I think they actually paid to call LD) and used them to try to pit people against one another. They also wound up not being able to show themselves in the local scene, and disappeared. I don't think Ed (or Phil) ever narked anyone out. They were more just troublemakers than narks.

Anyway, you're from the Dayton scene? Do you remember a guy called "The Apprentice"? He was one of the 3 founding members of DLoC, but Pro-Hack and I lost track of him years ago, and would love to contact him again.

S.o.D.
2004-03-10 09:19
Radar
Account closed

I remember that I was in touch with Mutant-X (who called himself Ed) in like 92 or so, but that's realy about it. Didn't he supply CCs?
2004-03-14 18:07
Pol Pot
Account closed

exactly Hartmut.

i ran Holiday Inn Cambodia BBS in cedarville from 1984-1986 and was friends with many people in the dayton scene including the Bandit Jr. but that was back in the 1200 bps days so i dont know anything much about the scene after that. my buddy in Xenia ran what, Xenet BBS? i forget the name now.

ed, as i say, was a local sysop who took the name of a cool pirate from texas.

2004-03-15 09:43
Radar
Account closed

Quote: exactly Hartmut.

i ran Holiday Inn Cambodia BBS in cedarville from 1984-1986 and was friends with many people in the dayton scene including the Bandit Jr. but that was back in the 1200 bps days so i dont know anything much about the scene after that. my buddy in Xenia ran what, Xenet BBS? i forget the name now.

ed, as i say, was a local sysop who took the name of a cool pirate from texas.

I always thought that he was the real 'old' mutant-x. I remember that he knew you, but for some reasons I stopped contact with Ed after a while, as he was more talking about things instead of just doing it.

But also I remember that he was a person where a lot of people stood away from and took care of not getting into his business for some reasons...
2004-03-16 07:46
Jazzcat

I remember Mutant-X for being a ragger, used to chat with him quite frequently. 6147something was his number. His name was Ed too. So he turned into a narc?

2004-03-16 09:36
Radar
Account closed

Quote: I remember Mutant-X for being a ragger, used to chat with him quite frequently. 6147something was his number. His name was Ed too. So he turned into a narc?

Yeah, that's the Ed I remember, too
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
macx
Matt
Xidex/7-Inch
dstar/Fairlight
Didi/Laxity
Guests online: 132