Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Info > Up/downvoting solution
2003-03-15 21:41
kLr
Administrator

Up/downvoting solution

Hey all,

For some time now there has been discussion about making the votes in CSDb public to avoid up/downvoting. Here's what we think:
We don't feel that making all votes public is necessary. And we like the anonymity of the way it works now. So, our solution is to implement a system that makes only extreme abnormal votes public. This will spot the up/downvoters without sacrificing the anonymity of the normal voter. In our opinion this is the best solution for everybody, except the up/downvoters.
Feedback is welcome.

/ CSDb admins

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-03-16 17:51
Graham
Account closed

like i said in the past i think a median based filter would solve this issue entirely.
2003-03-17 02:16
Matt

downvoting is a problem which a lot of decent c64 websites have to deal with.
I really hope this solution will do the trick. but it seems fine to me.
2003-03-18 08:42
Dwangi

See grahams comment.... a median based filter would solve this problem and will probably be easier to make than spotting "extreme??" votes.

2003-03-18 23:14
CreaMD

Make it open! What are you afraid of? Anonymity in internet is the worst thing. There are thousands people misusing it everywhere.. forums are attacked from time to time, charts are spoiled. Those people only make mess. To prevent such things it's best to make voting transparent. You gave them chance to remove their votes. Announce it at c64.sk if you want give them 2 weeks and make the votes transparent then. If anyone is afraid of being affected by that he can erase his votes if he wants. Also I sometimes wonder about nicks of people who join the database.

It should be possible to get list of the registered people and at least for administrator to be able to check if the user is not having multiple accounts. In such case the user should be banned.

Also. It shouldn't be allowed to register from public e-mail services like hotmail and so on.

Sorry for the long rant...

Roman
2003-03-19 20:28
QuasaR

guyz, I thought we're grown up now... Is this really such a BIG problem? Seems that we know already who's best (otherwise nobody would claim that giving Jereon Tel a 1 is a deathsin...) so why bother with this stupid "up/downvoting" instead of doing some demo and/or boozing... And, as Graham or some other smart person stated, when enough ppl would vote, the "up/downvotes" will become a fart in the wind...
2003-03-19 22:21
Nightlord

is there any way to encourage ppl to voting more... i agree with the fact that main problem is lack of votes more than up/downvoting...

i noticed that when i put water demo on the net. i received 10 or so reactions on pouet.net in the first day. then a number of private messages from csdb. however i only got 3 votes for the demo. it means out of 15 - 20 people who reacted to me only 3 went to the pages and voted. this might be a sign that maybe csdb's voting pages are a bit too "out of the way"

another point is i think csdb is mostly used for it's forums and not for it's scener or release database (i think that is a pity for such a huge and well designed database). sceners don't seem to check for new releases here like they do with pouet. one thing that could improve this is to have a latest releases list on the main page and possibly linked from c64.sk as well. this way the entire "see the latest releases react and vote" cycle can happen inside csdb. i have made this suggestion in feedback forum but did not get any reaction yet...

...too much text error!!! :P
bilgem
2003-03-19 23:20
CreaMD

don't worry it's currently in implementation status (latest releases list is already working on CSDB side, it's now on me to add it to c64.sk) and I've got one fokin' great idea!!!! gotta talk with perff about it.

roman
2003-03-19 23:28
CreaMD

Yooohooo.. I've found out that it's possible to realise my idea without changing the current latest release feed... great!!! you can expect one neat CSDB*C64.sk cross feature soon!
2003-03-20 06:25
Nightlord

ok!... i think i am missing something very obvious..:) after spending another 20 minutes around csdb i am still unable to find a way to get a list of latest releases sorted with their release dates (not addition dates like the one on main page). the releases shown in latest additions part give me stuff (like the evolution demo) released in 96.

the closest i can get is to make an advanced search and get the releases that were released in a certain date range. and that returns results in alphabetical order.

oops maybe i am going a bit off topic here... sorry:)
2003-03-20 07:20
Perff
Administrator

Lets stay off-topic then. :)
When CreaMD says that it already works here on CSDb it only means that there exists a page (a csv-file) where you can get the latest releases out as raw text.
We will also display theese informations somewhere on CSDb soon with links and all for direct use of CSDb surfers. Be patient. :)

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Kickback
Guests online: 132
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)