Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Transfering
2003-03-09 12:17
Intensity
Account closed

Transfering

Hello people.

Nowadays I have purchased a XE1541-cable from Sta. Now I have some problems in transfering and getting the whole thing running.

I have Windows XP running here. The Floppy and the PC are connected via the cable. The Floppy LED reacts on the switching-on of the PC.

Furthermore I already have downloaded SC 082 Beta. But this software seems to run properly only in DOS, so I put the start-disc of XP in the PC and restarted the computer. But in DOS mode I can't reach C: ! What can I do here? Is there Software running under Win XP? How to get into MS DOS like ancient versions of Windows?

Sorry for the questions, but STA did not response to my emails, his site is down, too.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Arman
2003-03-09 13:53
Shake

There is a patch to make it work under XP, you might try it (it's on their site), but didn't work for me.

To make your c: reachable under DOS, you can make a FAT partition of your remaining diskspace, use that one for transfering.

If you want to get rid of all the trouble, go back to win98 or adopt a dedicated tranfer system. Hope someone can provide a better XP/XE1541 solution because it sucks yes
2003-03-10 01:23
Steppe

Yep, that XP patch for making the drive accessible under XP didn't work for me either. Besides it's said to be very unstable _if_ it works.
You better get yourself a Win98 or old DOS 6.x bootdisk and transfer your stuff the oldschool way. ;-)
Be sure to have a FAT partition, 'cause a Win98 or DOS bootdisk can't read the XP native NTFS filesystem.
2003-03-10 09:26
Shadow
Account closed

Yeah, this is a bit annoying. I have a win98/winxp dual boot, but it's a bit cumbersome to have to reboot everytime I want to transfer something, and then I always forget putting the disk-images on my FAT-partition and have to reboot again! :/

I wonder why noone has developed a transfer program for windows? Is it really that hard to get the timings correct under a multitasking system?
2003-03-10 10:29
Slator

maybe you have an amiga, then I just can give you the hint to check out DTU (disc-transfer-utility)by Graham, you need an other cable but it is the best way to make d64 files from whole discsides.
2003-03-10 10:39
Puterman
Account closed

Someone (can't remember who) is porting cbm4linux to Windows, but that's been in the works for a year or so now, so don't hold your breath.
2003-03-10 11:00
hollowman

Quote: Yep, that XP patch for making the drive accessible under XP didn't work for me either. Besides it's said to be very unstable _if_ it works.
You better get yourself a Win98 or old DOS 6.x bootdisk and transfer your stuff the oldschool way. ;-)
Be sure to have a FAT partition, 'cause a Win98 or DOS bootdisk can't read the XP native NTFS filesystem.

unless you put ntfsdos on your bootdisk
2003-07-11 07:47
Intensity
Account closed

Hey people,

I have downloaded a Windows 98 - Bootdisc and want to do a FAT Partition on my Windows XP System to run a XE1541-cable properly.

But I have NO clue how to do a FAT Parition.

Are there ppl who can explain me how to do it? German people prefered, as I might not understand the whole thing in English.

Thanks you very much.

.: Arman :.
2003-07-11 08:03
Steppe

Got Partition Magic? With that it's pretty simple. I'm not sure there's a system utility in Windows XP that resizes a NTFS partition to make room for a new FAT partition.
2003-07-11 23:19
Arcane

You need to install an extra program (included with SC 0.82) in XP. You can find the extras files for WinXP or WinNT in "SC_WINNT.ZIP".
They included 2 programs, "Userport" and "giveio". You can try both if one doesn't work.
I am using "Userport" at the moment and there is a "README.TXT" with all the installation instructions.
A good thing about running SC 0.82 under winxp is, transfering goes much faster. Doing a diskcopy in dos takes about 11 min. Well, in winxp only 1 or 2 mins.

Greets,
2003-07-11 23:33
Steppe

Sorry, but that's downright BS...
If your transfer is slow under DOS then you have picked the wrong settings. Using SC 0.83 under WinXP or DOS does definitely not make a noticable speed difference.
But I agree with you on the aspect that it's really worth giving a shot trying to get SC to run under WinXP. With enough time to fiddle around in the BIOS to find the right LPT mode you should eventually get it to work, Intensity. Drop me a mail if you need help, I can assist you in German.
2003-08-18 20:19
Intensity
Account closed

Thanks people for your help. Also thanks to Shake/Role who helped me out a little bit.

For those people with WIN XP who haven't fixed the transfering-method with their computer :

I have downloaded a Windows 98 bootdisc generator from www.bootdisc.com, installed the prog, took a disc and created a Windows 98 bootdisc.

Then I have taken the bought the tool "Parition Magic 8.0" (Tip: you can also download it with Kazaa ;), and created a Fat32-Parition with only 50 MB. I have copied SC082 on this partition.

Next step was to put the W98 bootdisc in the floppy and to run the PC. After some time I was in DOS, but I could access only the FAT32-Parition with Star Commander on it, so you should copy the datas you want to transfer from PC to c64 onto the new Partition.

Connect the xfer-cable with the Floppy 1541 and the parallel port of the PC, start SC, set the right settings in the options-menu and start to transfer.

There is just one annoying this, which is the less speed or the transfering process.

Arman
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Worrior1/W1 Producti..
Alakran_64
Xidex/7-Inch
KLR/NoName
Icecube/Light
Magic/Nah-Kolor