Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Hardware Problem
2006-10-07 21:08
ptoing

Hardware Problem

I think my SID chip died \D:/
Yesterday all was working well and then today I wanted to watch Royal Arte on the real thing since I have set up my RR-Net stuff properly a few days ago. Transferred it, loaded, run, no sound. Neither on the TV via antenna cable nor on the stereo via cinch cable.
The only logical conclusion for me is that my SID chip croaked somehow and now I wanted to know if there is a surefire way to tell. Is there som hardware diagnostic tool for the C64 by any chance.

This sucks ass :/

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-07-13 19:16
GT
Account closed

Quote: I don`t want to state the obvious, but just a reminder to everyone to be REALLY careful when it comes to old powersupplies for c64´s. Even PSU`s that seem fine can flake out and kill a c64 once it runs hot. The single most common reason when I burnt out a c64 in some way has been the powersupply! A c128 PSU is much better and don´t take out the computer if it decides to burn up.

I recommend a heavy duty PSU, or a converter so you can use a C128 PSU with the c64.

Also, read this: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/pstester.txt

You gotta read all the posts, dude. I have a modern one. But you are correct.
The older PSU's is exactly on the limit of the C-64's consumptions, that's why they get this brown burnt out colour. Of todays standards Commodore wouldn't been allowed to sell that crap. The PSU's for C-64C are ok, and those you mention. For the diskdrives I use a PC power, best you can use. Up the Bitches ! ;)
2009-07-13 19:32
taper

Actually, a PSU of the "new" type (c64c) might be slightly better than the old brown ones, BUT they are in no way safer than them if they in fact do fuck up. I`ve thrown away quite some c64c PSU´s that were totally bonanza.

I am not sure how good the PSU´s that came with REU´s were, though. If they were built like c128´s PSU´s they are safer, if not, see above. :)
2009-07-13 22:01
Steppe

That's what you get from your damn code optimizing, I always told you! Insert a NOP here and there and let the old lady take a breath now and then. My 64 suffered badly from running EoD, symptoms are like a stroke. Too many calculations, now the SIDs mono and the palette is reduced to 16 colours. Buggers.
2009-07-13 22:29
Devia

Taper: watz?!? you throws away b0rked pzus? you bad boy! cutz ze friggin schlongs off em and give tat shit to me! - ez gud four pissisuplajs yes!
..ze schlongs aj mean... nots teh shitz brickz
2009-07-13 23:12
null
Account closed

Quote: Actually, a PSU of the "new" type (c64c) might be slightly better than the old brown ones, BUT they are in no way safer than them if they in fact do fuck up. I`ve thrown away quite some c64c PSU´s that were totally bonanza.

I am not sure how good the PSU´s that came with REU´s were, though. If they were built like c128´s PSU´s they are safer, if not, see above. :)

I've heard that REU and C128 PSUs are the same, apart from the plug.. not sure about that though.

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2009-07-14 10:18
taper

Devia:No worries, I always save the plug before throwing ém away. :=)
2009-07-14 11:20
Mace

Quote:
I've heard that REU and C128 PSUs are the same, apart from the plug.. not sure about that though.
If I find time and I feel like it, I might open both of them to have a look.
Judging from the outside, you might be right.
They also look like Amiga PSUs, but those have a completely different weight. Haven't checked the voltages either, btw... might also be different.
2009-07-14 11:35
Devia

Amiga 500 PSUs come in both switchmode and oldfashioned big friggin' transformer based ones.. Dunno if that applies to C128 PSUs.
2009-07-15 07:41
Devia

oh btw.. better post my current state of mind here as I'm certain to forget once the LCP kicks in..
Geir: most probable cause for your "problems" is the 9V ac power caps.. they have probably given up.. Once heated up they could start functioning properly again, which could explain your symptoms. I don't think it's your rear fuckhole's fault.
I'll bring some spare parts to LCP and if Mogwai brings a scope, as he usually does, he can confirm my suspicions before fucking everything up.
2009-07-15 13:18
GT
Account closed

Quote: oh btw.. better post my current state of mind here as I'm certain to forget once the LCP kicks in..
Geir: most probable cause for your "problems" is the 9V ac power caps.. they have probably given up.. Once heated up they could start functioning properly again, which could explain your symptoms. I don't think it's your rear fuckhole's fault.
I'll bring some spare parts to LCP and if Mogwai brings a scope, as he usually does, he can confirm my suspicions before fucking everything up.

@Devia, but my RF gives black screen (ALL the time). The VIDEO OUT works. But you're probably right about the 9V ac power caps, could give a mailfunctioning RF? I Dunno. Bring along all the bitches and pieces you can get, and we'll see. Rock'n'roll. ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
McMeatLoaf
Guests online: 100
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)