Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Hardware Problem
2006-10-07 21:08
ptoing

Hardware Problem

I think my SID chip died \D:/
Yesterday all was working well and then today I wanted to watch Royal Arte on the real thing since I have set up my RR-Net stuff properly a few days ago. Transferred it, loaded, run, no sound. Neither on the TV via antenna cable nor on the stereo via cinch cable.
The only logical conclusion for me is that my SID chip croaked somehow and now I wanted to know if there is a surefire way to tell. Is there som hardware diagnostic tool for the C64 by any chance.

This sucks ass :/

... 27 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-10-08 19:02
ptoing

well the sid is already taken out of the socket. When i felt it yesterday while running a tune the thing was hot. And with hot I mean egg-frying-hot, it burned my finger. SO I am pretty sure this SID is off to it's ancestors.
2006-10-09 12:57
Thunder.Bird

It's kind of normal that a SID runs hot. I eat each day one fried egg to use the temperature. Mahlzeit!
2009-07-13 07:45
GT
Account closed

My C-64 is dying (old bin and 6581 chip). Anyone know why it has ground hum on a cold-start for about 10 minutes, then it fades away ? The power supply is of the new type, and it works fine on the C-64C (slimline) without the need of a warm-up. Changing SID-chips hasn't fixed it either. Display and everything seems ok.
I have to add: The problem started after I bought the MMC Replay. Does that cartridge consume some extra voltages ?
2009-07-13 08:26
Steppe

Did you remove the internal shielding? Make sure it's attached properly.
Did you connect the 64 via RF cable to a TV or through the monitor port? Can you check if the ground hum is there on both outputs? Are the TV/monitor and the PSU of the 64 connected to the same wall socket? Have you tried turning the plugs around 180 degrees in the wall socket?
I'm not an electronics expert, just what came to mind to narrow down the problem.
2009-07-13 08:42
GT
Account closed

Quote: Did you remove the internal shielding? Make sure it's attached properly.
Did you connect the 64 via RF cable to a TV or through the monitor port? Can you check if the ground hum is there on both outputs? Are the TV/monitor and the PSU of the 64 connected to the same wall socket? Have you tried turning the plugs around 180 degrees in the wall socket?
I'm not an electronics expert, just what came to mind to narrow down the problem.

Ohhh.. Is that internal shielding crucial ? Cos I think I removed it sometime. Can't remember when. But I kept the shielding somewhere. I just read somewhere that the internal shielding would overheat the machine, and it was a bad solution from Commodore. Untrue? Nothing wrong with the wall sockets by the way, as another machine works ok with the same setup, cables etc... I use a homemade Audio/Video cable by the way. No TV, I use a projector using S-Video connection. I've wired a Jack-plug for the Audio to my Mackie VLZ-mixer. My other machines works ok with this cable though.
2009-07-13 09:09
ready.

Quote:
hrm, you may not have done bad things, but I have. that said, I go through an average of one sid every 18 months. Arg.

that's a lot!! I haven't fryed any SID of years and only when doing bad things like shorting the output to ground or messing with ext in unproperly.

And I use my C64 every day.

Are you using any SID protection?
2009-07-13 09:15
GT
Account closed

Ahhhh. That didn't help much. Please read my previous posts. Anyone ?
Please people, don't reply to older posts, as I need help with this matter.
2009-07-13 09:28
Devia

Geir, bring your bitch to LCP and people like Mogwai, Lotus or even me can take a look at it.
The humming can be there for a shitload of reasons, but with a moderate dose of beer then listening, looking, talking and even petting can help shed some light on the reason ;-)
2009-07-13 12:11
GT
Account closed

Black screen from RF. I've checked inside the lid and found some components touching eachother, after separating them still there's black screen and that humming noise. Where's the video signal coming from, since it works on the video out port ?
By the way, I don't think I've fried one single SID chip. They all still work.
2009-07-13 12:44
GT
Account closed

Quote: Geir, bring your bitch to LCP and people like Mogwai, Lotus or even me can take a look at it.
The humming can be there for a shitload of reasons, but with a moderate dose of beer then listening, looking, talking and even petting can help shed some light on the reason ;-)

Ok, I'll bring my bitch to Long Cocks Party then. Better fix it, or I'll stick my bitch up your ass, motha fucka. Hmmm.. ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Syntax Error Soft
Viti/Hokuto Force
Guests online: 144
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)