Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user jmi ! (Registered 2024-09-15) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > VICE - "warp mode" is sometimes super-slow..?
2024-07-27 16:33
Raistlin

VICE - "warp mode" is sometimes super-slow..?

I've noticed that entering Warp Mode on VICE, the results can vary quite a lot and wondered what might be happening. In particular, some of the dot-scroller parts in such as I Love the Cube 100% will run almost at 100% in Warp Mode .. where other parts will run at 800% or so.

I noticed that the code has a load of ANE instructions .. so maybe there's some problem with those?

Just thought I'd ask. I hope this is the correct forum category.

(I'm running the Windows build BTW, 3.7.1)

... 29 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-07-28 16:21
chatGPZ

I should have been more precise: in the past warpmode did disable some things which DO change the emulation (besides running faster of course) - on of them was that it disabled the SID alltogether (which produces problems with programs that require SID emulation, obviously). It does not do that anymore for a while. So yes, if you manually disable the SID, then warp will be faster. The same is true for a few other things, some of which may or may not be enabled by default.
2024-07-28 18:10
hedning

<Post edited by hedning on 28/7-2024 19:30>

Vice 2.4 <3 Best ever.
2024-07-28 18:11
Gordian

Quoting tlr
Quoting Gordian
Is it intended that uncheck "Enable sound playback" disables emulating SID entirely? I've noticed that random number generator based on $D41B doesn't work while sound is disabled.

Of course. The random number generator is part of the SID emulation. The same happens if you pull the SID from a c64.

Really?:)
I was asking about what the option does or should do. Because it may work as a mute or completely disabling SID emulation.
Now I can think it was intentional - maybe for faster warp, may for testing without SID.
2024-07-28 18:42
Raistlin

Quote: I should have been more precise: in the past warpmode did disable some things which DO change the emulation (besides running faster of course) - on of them was that it disabled the SID alltogether (which produces problems with programs that require SID emulation, obviously). It does not do that anymore for a while. So yes, if you manually disable the SID, then warp will be faster. The same is true for a few other things, some of which may or may not be enabled by default.

I'm running a lot of releases lately while updating things on C64GFX.. and have had a few releases where if I enable Warp Mode, the release will crash. Not using Warp Mode, it works fine. As my backlog's huge I've never really stopped to look into it further - sorry - but I'd say that there's -something- happening with Warp on Windows that is untoward.....

And that Warp Mode seems to gradually get slower on certain demo parts makes me think that there's something quite "nasty" happening.
2024-07-28 18:57
tlr

Quoting Raistlin
I'm running a lot of releases lately while updating things on C64GFX.. and have had a few releases where if I enable Warp Mode, the release will crash. Not using Warp Mode, it works fine. As my backlog's huge I've never really stopped to look into it further - sorry - but I'd say that there's -something- happening with Warp on Windows that is untoward.....

And that Warp Mode seems to gradually get slower on certain demo parts makes me think that there's something quite "nasty" happening.

Sounds really weird! I never saw anything like that when running regression tests in warp for quite long durations (Ubuntu Linux).

If you have suboptimal thermal solution, like a typical 13” laptop, it could in theory be CPU core throttling you are seeing.
2024-07-28 19:55
Jetboy

Quoting tlr
If you have suboptimal thermal solution, like a typical 13” laptop, it could in theory be CPU core throttling you are seeing.

That is not it. I'm sure. Those dot scrolls are really slowing down the emulation. I can normally run a few instances of vice and it runs fine in pararell, each at 100% speed.

I would expect if there is a lot of code running on the drive, and c64it might slow down, but not to a crawl.

@Raistlin if you find some more prods with similar behaviour, please list them here.
2024-07-28 21:24
algorithm

Tried the dot parts in vice (windows) 3.8 r45202 on zen3 (5800h) no thermal throttling. 80% speed even with warp set to off. No other demo part i have tried goes under 100% apart from this dot scroller part
2024-07-28 21:34
chatGPZ

What happens is that it writs a line to the log on each ANE ... in the settings, try setting "log to stdout" and see if that changes anything. (this was just recently fixed so maybe has a different effect in older VICE)

Quote:

It would help to know what releases those are, obviously :)
2024-07-28 21:43
algorithm

Quote: What happens is that it writs a line to the log on each ANE ... in the settings, try setting "log to stdout" and see if that changes anything. (this was just recently fixed so maybe has a different effect in older VICE)

Quote:

It would help to know what releases those are, obviously :)

That fixed it (setting std out)
2024-07-28 22:54
chatGPZ

That's crazy...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
REBEL 1/HF
bugjam
Ax!s/Onslaught - TND
Paladin/G★P
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Krill/Plush