Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 Emulator Bugs
2007-06-24 03:16
chatGPZ

C64 Emulator Bugs

after stumbling about a bunch of VICE bugs myself in the last couple of days i have decided to compile a list with issues current emulators have. the goals for this are

- make people aware that emulators are by far not perfect (yet?)
- make it easier for emulator authors to improve the emulators, by showing problematic programs and possibly provide simple testcases
- allow c64 coders to implement emulator detection if desired

so well, check this: http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt

help welcomed :)

... 240 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-06-24 16:36
Fungus

Simply delay the video update to be in sync with the audio...

radiantx : I certainly don't want to sit here for hours and hours and hours tweaking the palette to make it look right, this is NOT my job!

missing thing in the emulation, is CRT phosphor emulation also.

2007-06-24 16:43
Hein

From a graphic-artist's point of view, i'd say the vice anex pepto palet is fine.

furthermore, if there are things missing, why not create them yourself???
2007-06-24 17:00
chatGPZ

as for the palette i have to agree with hein - enable the pal emulation and then tweak it to your taste. this is pretty much the same as adjusting the image with the knobs at your monitor - and its NOT the job of the guy who sells you the monitor to tweak it to your liking :=)

however, stick to the topic please =) and read the damned textfile i linked to before posting stuff that is already in there =P
2007-06-24 20:10
assiduous
Account closed

Groepaz, this is a brilliant idea - I aimed to put together a similar list a long time ago, I just haven't come across that many examples of inaccuracies to justify it.

However, I reckon that it's not necessarily a step in right direction to focus strictly on VICE. New versions are very sparse nowadays, and they primarily include new features rather than fixes to the core emulation. It just seems that it's versatility that is the main goal for VICE, not perfect accuracy in all instances. I reported a couple of bugs to the developers, but none of them have been fixed. I sent a mail to the devel-list with a bug report, and they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge it. Well, if they don't care, why should I. It is not my intention to blame anyone, I grasp the fact that every-day occupations don't always allow to spend hours on a C64 emulator. However, I'm afraid that with no new people contributing to the development of this emulator, the list will just be getting longer and longer.

The only emulator seeing a rapid progress these days is Hoxs64, and I think the time and effort would better be spent looking for flaws in this one. It has its downsides, namely no support for MOS6581 and NTSC, but it does an excellent job at emulating 8580 equipped PAL machines. Most importantly though, seeing as the emerging bugs actually get fixed, the list wouldn't go in vain.

@Fungus: In VICE, go to Settings/Video settings/VICII Palette, select "External Palette" and choose "vice" from the list - it is the one calculated by Pepto, which is also used in Hoxs64.
2007-06-24 20:35
chatGPZ

Quote:
However, I reckon that it's not necessarily a step in right direction to focus strictly on VICE.

that list is NOT ment to only focus on vice. its just that

a) my main desktop is a linux box, so i am using vice most of the time
b) vice seems to have the most bugs :) many of the problematic programs in the list work fine in ccs for example

so yes, ANY emulator bugs/problems are subject to be described in this list (that is, stick to CCS, VICE and HOXS ... i dont think any other emus can compete yet)

as for vice team not acknowledging bugs - yes indeed. many have had that experience. this is one of the reasons for compiling that list - i believe that providing (a lot of) examples of malfunctioning programs, including some guesses on whats the cause, could indeed motivate either current vice developers or whoever else to fix some of them. *ignoring* them certainly does _not_ help anyone :=)

so if you can tell further problems that aren't in the list yet, go ahead :)
2007-06-24 20:46
iAN CooG

Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior: during game does not display in PAL. Works in NTSC mode. It's one of the bugs I noticed in Hoxs64 too, and David fixed it promply few days after, like every bug reports I sent him from version 1.0.4.16 :)
Quoting from Hoxs64 history:
3) Adjustment to the VIC display enable bit. The game Elven Warrior now displays.
2007-06-24 21:02
chatGPZ

Quote:
Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior

please name the exact version/release, preferably with a csdb link
2007-06-24 21:24
MagerValp

- [vice] Ultima IV Gold Ultima IV Gold

"The IFFL scanner sometimes hangs when you flip 1541 disks in VICE"

Please note that I have not done extensive testing on real hardware. I've never experienced a hang on real hardware, but while I have tested in VICE hundreds of times, I've only tested on real 1541s a dozen or so times. However, I've never managed to reproduce the bug while I have breakpoints set in VICE, which is mysterious...
2007-06-24 21:43
iAN CooG

Quote: Quote:
Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior

please name the exact version/release, preferably with a csdb link

Elven Warrior + by Doughnut Cracking Service
Elven Warrior +2
Elven Warrior +6 by Ikari, Talent
Elven Warrior +6D

Any will do, even the original tape
http://tapes.c64.no/tapes/ElvenWarrior.zip
2007-06-25 10:26
assiduous
Account closed

The entries to be removed:

- [vice] Zamzara/RSI Zamzara +CH

A: It shows the same behaviour on a real thing, so it's not a bug in the emulator.

- [vice] Lifeboat/Dover Dodge Lifeboat
"crashes on both VICE/CCS after pressing the key..."

A: Corrupt, it doesn't work on a real C64 either.

- [vice] Violator +4/X-Ray Violator +4
"Not working in VICE, No option now to test it on real c64"

A: The same behaviour on a real thing.

- [vice] Skate Crazy/Shining 8 Skate Crazy
second part crashes in vice, works in ccs

A: It's already fixed, works in VICE v1.21.

To be corrected:

- [vice] Comic Art 9/Mayhem Comic Art 09
Main file crashes in Vice 1.19/1.20, works in CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.7

A: As a matter of fact, it's CCS64 that's inaccurate in this case - the collection crashes on a real C64 in the same way as in VICE and Hoxs64.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 25 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
icon/The Silents, Sp..
iAN CooG/HVSC
cba
Knight Rider/TREX
Guests online: 57
Top Demos