Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > JCH, q & a
2003-11-28 22:31
Kenho
Account closed

JCH, q & a

As i posted in the Sidcompo3 thread at c64.sk i wanted to transfer the JCH discussion to this messageboard. I hope people which are newbies (like me) in JCH post questions here and i really hope that some of the more advanced users reply to the questions. Hopefully this thread can lead to a JCH faq for Dane to put in his new (soon to come) pack of newplayer.

It would be nice if someone can explain certain things about the program in a more simple way than the "manual" that comes with it. For example, the tables in the program. How to make a simple sound, a simple drum etc. These examples can later on be used as examples in a tutorial. Examples is often the best way to learn. Now i´m off to unpack Danes tunes and steal all his instuments :-) LOL

Bye!

... 30 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-12-02 02:33
Six

I'm still waiting for a new converter to arrive for my PAL C64 before I can compose proper tunes with JCH. (Bah - 10,000 plagues on the video/hz gap!) In the meantime I suppose I'm stuck playing with it in NTSC.

Does anyone have any suggestions for common sounds to be produced? How about guitar and banjo sounds? I assumed there would be one instrument mimicing the strings being plucked, and another mimicing them being strummed... I'm not sure how to construct them in JCH though. Anyone care to give me some pointers? Also, in the compo tunes, I noticed some really nice low and smooth bass lines, but I can never get my instruments not to sound like "plunk plunk"?!?
2003-12-03 19:17
Akira

Six: Yer gonna have a field day composing in NTSC and later passing it onto PAL :P Happened to me on the sidcompo 3, I had to convert the tune to something somewhat acceptable on PAL, otherwise most people would have heard absolute bollocks.

I recommend you to wait a bit more perhaps, if you do decide to do your thing on a PAL C64. For now I am stuck on NTSC because my SX64 is NTSC and I'm not gonna haul a C64+1541+monitor to live sets.

Oh the plunk thing at the beginning of all instruments
... I'd like to hear some tiips for minimizing it. I think it's a cybertracker caveat or some NTSC thing probably. Will try CT today in my pal 128.
2003-12-03 19:54
Six

Honestly, I can use the tracker the way things are, it just bugs me not to see the right colors. (Still waiting on my converter from Scancom)

I think I'll give it some time this evening trying to make some nice instruments, so if anyone has any tips for working with JCH, I'd certainly appreciate them.

Otherwise, like Kenho, I suppose I'm stuck depacking other composers tunes and biting instruments.

(off to ineptly make plonk plonk blatt noises)
2003-12-03 21:15
Dane
Account closed

There's nothing wrong with looking at what others have done in order to figure out how to do it yourself. I'm hoping to have docs for you soon, but til then I suggest you keep examining whatever you come across.
2003-12-04 01:17
dalezy

akira, been there. i've dragged 2 c64s and 2 screens for a liveset. i learned from that experience. =)
2003-12-04 06:38
Akira

Quote: akira, been there. i've dragged 2 c64s and 2 screens for a liveset. i learned from that experience. =)

I salute you dalezy. I'm spoiled now, ever since i got my notebook. My audio set is not called the "pocket audio set" for nothing :D. Ok, you can't stick an SX64 in a pocket, but you get the gist (iBook + GB + SX64).
2003-12-05 08:05
Kenho
Account closed

hello again!

I have now produced some sounds and stuff but i need to know the commands in the "super slide table" (x command). I think it is described in the text for player version 18 or something but i have not got this text.

Another thing. When you are finished with a "track" like 8001 can you ... "shrink" it again so you only see the 8001 in the pattern table and not the notes?
2003-12-05 08:52
Dane
Account closed

There's no way to shrink it - you just keep scrolling down - or use f5 to scroll from track to track.
About those sxx-commands...

s00-1f - Slide up
s20-3f - Slide down
s40-5f - Change arpeggiotable pointer
s60-6f - Vibrato (like 32, 33)
s90 - Set new SR-value
se0 - speed
sf0 - volume

I might be wrong about speed/volume but heck, I never use them! :) Anyway, this table will be prette much redefined once that darn pack is ready for release. Hope it helps, though.
2003-12-05 10:16
Kenho
Account closed

Thanks Dane!

The reason for "shrinking" is that i think you would have a better overview of the song that way. i.e you should have an option to actually show the notes or just pattern number.

so when you have tracked all your patterns you can show them in shrinked mode (sequencer mode :-) ??) .

Just a thought.

2003-12-05 10:46
Twoflower

To not have an overview of a track-table is not a feature that could be included in a player, but something you'd have to mod the editor to achieve. Shouldn't be too hard to do, since the track-table would be yet another pop-up window and I figure it have to be placed somewhere in the player memory. I really miss this in the editor aswell, and it'd be nice with a highlighted scroll along or sth in it. .-) Something for you and Iopop to have a look on, eh, Dane? :-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Chico/Civitas
Mason/Unicess
wbochar
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Kakka/Extend, Damone..