Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > JCH, q & a
2003-11-28 22:31
Kenho
Account closed

JCH, q & a

As i posted in the Sidcompo3 thread at c64.sk i wanted to transfer the JCH discussion to this messageboard. I hope people which are newbies (like me) in JCH post questions here and i really hope that some of the more advanced users reply to the questions. Hopefully this thread can lead to a JCH faq for Dane to put in his new (soon to come) pack of newplayer.

It would be nice if someone can explain certain things about the program in a more simple way than the "manual" that comes with it. For example, the tables in the program. How to make a simple sound, a simple drum etc. These examples can later on be used as examples in a tutorial. Examples is often the best way to learn. Now i´m off to unpack Danes tunes and steal all his instuments :-) LOL

Bye!

... 30 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-12-18 10:49
dalezy

i was talking about singlespeed tunes .. well, i already thought of it as a hardware problem, but then again i've heard other tunes with a really smooth attack, so i'm kinda stuck there. (then again i think those tunes were done directly in the monitor, where the author had total control about what he's doing =)
2003-12-18 11:01
dalezy

(i suck at explaining things :)
><

with 'reacts too quick' i meant that i.e. an instrument with an attack setting of lets say 6 has a real short attack duration until it reaches it's normal decay or release point. and on top of that it overrides the actual DR-settings and plays on full volume for a few miliseconds, until it goes back to its intended volume.

i hope that was a bit more of an in-depth explanation =)
2003-12-18 11:26
Stryyker

Some if the ADSR settings can only be made to have effect after a the gate bits goes from 0 to 1. Some other things is they can be heard staight away if decreasing (I think sustain) but not if you increase the sustain. It's something like that. I can't remember where all this is though.

some other issues can be associated with hard-reset effect. Takes a while for the SID to clean the ADSR outut and you can get cracks, or a sound that suddenly plays wrong volume and stuff.

ADD: Dane, Jeff and so forth would know more about this, along with Glenn and many more.
2003-12-18 13:04
Hate Bush

Dalezy: that's a normal behaviour. Attack time could be described as time needed to achieve full volume point. If you want to avoid it, there's a trick: before the volume reaches its highest point during attack phase, clear the gatebit. It works beautifully, provided there's a nonzero release value (I'd recommend 9 or A for short sounds or F for continuous, long ones). Or so I think.
2003-12-29 11:51
Wisdom

Just for the record; if I ever get time for it, I will release my own JCH packer/depacker utilities with their source codes someday. These were coded from scratch when I had no packer or depacker (just a plain Ed v2.53) back in 1993/1994.

Apparently, my packer is able to pack those tunes that cannot be packed correctly by JCH's own packer. It already helped a few fellows in their releases. So, in case you stumble across such a situation, drop me a mail and I'll send you the packer.

The depacker also behaves like a converter, in which you can convert, for example, a 14.g0 tune to 20.g4 or vice versa. (Song data only, of course. You have to manually correct the table/sound data.)

The reason for not releasing them now is just the cosmetic changes they need, because they were designed for my own use, thus having not-so-fancy user-interfaces.

By the way, hellos to Dane, Stryyker and Twoflower. It's been a while, huh? :-)
2004-02-06 14:07
G-Fellow
Account closed

Hi all ! 8)

I use the Newplayer v3.04, the last release from JCH 20.G4 I think.

When u finished with the programming, can you put a full demo sound table in? ( from 00-1f ) Is easier for those guys who want to make fast a demo Tune. Ok you can rip some sounds from older vibrants tunes, but in the Newplayer v3.04 can´t you load soundtables in....

Greets, G-Fellow/Civitas
2004-07-16 23:02
Intensity
Account closed

Hey ppl,

Anyone has those JCH-Stuff from Dane? I need worktunes of double-speed-musics and a multi-speed-player of JCH. Have never created multi-speed-tunes, thus I'd need some quick hints about this feature. BTW, docs are welcome, I use JCH only since recently. Three wishes in one, but third time is a charm. ;)

Thanks in advance for every help.

Send those files to arman_behdad@no.spam.web.de please.

BTW, already posted Dane about it, but he seems to be in vacances.
2004-07-17 16:08
Soren

ah yeah... ripping sounds... the road to success! sigh...
:-)
2004-07-17 16:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

The complete source code for JCH editor is released years ago, why dont you just fix it to your needs ?

This editor can use a good workover, or use SDI instead, built on the same tracker-system, but it's much easier to use, and has far better player.
2004-08-18 14:32
Metal
Account closed

SDI easy to use? I must be getting old.. ;) Btw. Syndrom actually did a 20.g5 for the JCH Newplayers, but I cant remember what he did with it. The unpacker-util by Syndrom was not on the "official" Newplayer-release disk by JCH. But I'm pretty sure Syndrom did get permission from JCH to release it..
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DJ Gruby/TRiAD
Didi/Laxity
Guests online: 126
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)