Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user jmi ! (Registered 2024-09-15) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > C64 Charts
2024-07-27 16:06
angelo

C64 Charts

Hey, so I'm trying to simplify categories for my research a little bit to be able to at least try to draw a line between demoscene and crackerscene. Obviously I didn't watch all the 1414 productions classified as C64 Charts. That'd be a little too much at this point. I watched few of them, and to my best knowledge, stand-alone productions with charts would be more of a crackerscene thing.

So the question would be: Does anyone know, if there are C64 Charts prods that include any demoscene charts. Or C64 Charts that'd be half-way there, i.e. included charts for cracks, cracktros and demos - something that could be considered demoscenish.

Thanks in advance :)
2024-07-27 16:18
Scrap

Disk magazines might be a good resource for charts of all kind... I would recommend (TOTALY unbiased) Propaganda... ;-)
2024-07-27 16:28
angelo

That's actually an interesting point. My intuition would be that "C64 Charts" productions would pre-date mags, but based on data from csdb the earliest C64 Diskmag is from 1985, and the earliest C64 Charts is from 1986 -- of course, that does not count (because how could it) productions without an assigned release date.

Anyway. Absolutely, if I were looking for contents of charts, mags might be a better choice. I am currently trying to figure out tho to which category I can assign C64 Charts - crackerscene, both/mixed or demoscene -- that is, if there were C64 Charts productions that included charts for more demoscenish categories :)
2024-07-27 16:28
Krill

Quoting Scrap
Disk magazines might be a good resource for charts of all kind... I would recommend (TOTALY unbiased) Propaganda... ;-)
What are the earliest diskmags?
2024-07-27 16:34
Scrap

The earliest one I remember (surely not the first one), again totally unbiased: Sex'n'Crime. In the early days, printed (photocopied) magazines like "Pirates" were popular. Maybe there are some sources with scanned versions of them somewhere in the web?
2024-07-27 16:38
Mixer

Having lived those times, don't people usually get buried under stones and rot before archeologists and historians start digging? In my opinion these classification attempts are artificial and anachronistic. Kids did lists of things they liked, nothing more to that. Besides if this is an attempt of being scientific, then the data should be your guide, not preset definitions.
2024-07-27 16:58
angelo

Quoting Mixer
don't people usually get buried under stones and rot before archeologists and historians start digging?.

That's a very interesting discussion, we also had with UNESCO btw. In a technology sense, those times are long buried under the stone. The kids born in 95 (who are already turning 30 and many times are already parents themselves) are as far from C64 as we are from oil lamps.

Quoting Mixer
Besides if this is an attempt of being scientific, then the data should be your guide, not preset definitions.

So what data would you have in mind, when you say that? How would it be organized, what metadata it might have to be able to tell whether something was more crackscene or demoscene, without presets? Asking out of genuine curiosity.
2024-07-27 17:01
Krill

Quoting Mixer
the data should be your guide, not preset definitions.
Some early examples of coder/graphician(sic:D)/musician charts vs. cracker/pal-ntsc-fixer/importer charts would constitute data, no?
2024-07-27 17:04
angelo

Quoting Krill
Some early examples of coder/graphician(sic:D)/musician charts vs. cracker/pal-ntsc-fixer/importer charts would constitute data, no?

a completely sidetracking question, but how hard would that potentially be to extract plaintext and get one's hands on the charts from d64 file? Many compression schemes out there for C64? Might they be encoded somehow, like encrypted?
2024-07-27 17:09
Krill

Quoting angelo
how hard would that potentially be to extract plaintext and get one's hands on the charts from d64 file? Many compression schemes out there for C64? Might they be encoded somehow, like encrypted?
Encodings should not deviate much across different issues of the same "publication".

But isn't the question about categories mostly, not so much actual numbers? (Which were very likely skewed and biased in all kinds of ways.) Pretty sure the categories themselves were established rather quickly, though.
2024-07-27 17:20
angelo

Quoting Krill
But isn't the question about categories mostly, not so much actual numbers? (Which were very likely skewed and biased in all kinds of ways.) Pretty sure the categories themselves were established rather quickly, though.

Well, I was kind of thinking of a different analysis -- even just for kicks -- to see across the years what people appeared on charts, and what groups, and which categories, and maybe even do a simple popularity summary :)

It could support the primary case, if I would be able to tell per-C64 chart basis to which category to assign it to. But then again, if the earliest C64 Chart is from 1986 which is pretty late in terms of pre-scene, and its only 1414 points from a set of 800k maybe, just maybe, removing them if they're too debatable is something that wont bias the outcome that much.

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
bugjam
Krill/Plush
JEZ
Airwolf/F4CG
Paladin/G★P