Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > C64 Charts
2024-07-27 16:06
angelo

C64 Charts

Hey, so I'm trying to simplify categories for my research a little bit to be able to at least try to draw a line between demoscene and crackerscene. Obviously I didn't watch all the 1414 productions classified as C64 Charts. That'd be a little too much at this point. I watched few of them, and to my best knowledge, stand-alone productions with charts would be more of a crackerscene thing.

So the question would be: Does anyone know, if there are C64 Charts prods that include any demoscene charts. Or C64 Charts that'd be half-way there, i.e. included charts for cracks, cracktros and demos - something that could be considered demoscenish.

Thanks in advance :)

... 8 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-07-27 17:09
Krill

Quoting angelo
how hard would that potentially be to extract plaintext and get one's hands on the charts from d64 file? Many compression schemes out there for C64? Might they be encoded somehow, like encrypted?
Encodings should not deviate much across different issues of the same "publication".

But isn't the question about categories mostly, not so much actual numbers? (Which were very likely skewed and biased in all kinds of ways.) Pretty sure the categories themselves were established rather quickly, though.
2024-07-27 17:20
angelo

Quoting Krill
But isn't the question about categories mostly, not so much actual numbers? (Which were very likely skewed and biased in all kinds of ways.) Pretty sure the categories themselves were established rather quickly, though.

Well, I was kind of thinking of a different analysis -- even just for kicks -- to see across the years what people appeared on charts, and what groups, and which categories, and maybe even do a simple popularity summary :)

It could support the primary case, if I would be able to tell per-C64 chart basis to which category to assign it to. But then again, if the earliest C64 Chart is from 1986 which is pretty late in terms of pre-scene, and its only 1414 points from a set of 800k maybe, just maybe, removing them if they're too debatable is something that wont bias the outcome that much.
2024-07-27 17:26
Mixer

[/quote]So what data would you have in mind, when you say that? How would it be organized, what metadata it might have to be able to tell whether something was more crackscene or demoscene, without presets? Asking out of genuine curiosity.[/quote]

I can see that you're collecting data. I think that you're correct that the place to look is in the productions that people did. All www collections and commentary came later. In my opinion the terms crack scene and demo scene did not exist mid 80's and emerged much later.
2024-07-27 17:39
angelo

Quoting Krill
Pretty sure the categories themselves were established rather quickly, though.

interestingly enough, reading through the threads you gave me I found this thesis:

Quoting hedning
With the Amiga and Atari ST everything obviously had to be autistically sorted into horrible terms like dentro, cracktro, trackmo whatever. :D

This might be actually a lower-hanging fruit, looking at different charts to see how each platform formed categories. Even if done manually, without an over-engineered OCRin AI :)
2024-07-27 17:46
Krill

Quoting angelo
Well, I was kind of thinking of a different analysis -- even just for kicks -- to see across the years what people appeared on charts, and what groups, and which categories, and maybe even do a simple popularity summary :)
Ah, finding the presence or absence of some "discipline overlap" within groups or the scene would certainly be a finding. =)

Quoting angelo
Quoting hedning
With the Amiga and Atari ST everything obviously had to be autistically sorted into horrible terms like dentro, cracktro, trackmo whatever. :D
This might be actually a lower-hanging fruit, looking at different charts to see how each platform formed categories. Even if done manually, without an over-engineered OCRin AI :)
Oh, you're about categories of productions? This might give some insight, but keep in mind that the 16-bit platforms appeared after any kind of "scene" was a thing.
Also "best demo" and whatnot (as opposed to ranking individuals) wasn't a thing in the mags, iirc, but only came later with automated statistics on database-backed websites.
2024-07-27 18:05
Jetboy

Quoting Krill
Also "best demo" and whatnot (as opposed to ranking individuals) wasn't a thing in the mags, iirc, but only came later with automated statistics on database-backed websites.

There were charts in scene mags, when swapping we were sending votesheets that were then used to compile those charts, buts due to limited distribution, and low number of entries those charts were not very reliable.
2024-07-27 20:36
bugjam

The "charts" releases I know are purely personal charts of swappers, independent of legal vs illegal scene.
2024-07-27 23:09
ws

Also, enjoy including and cross-referencing socalled "rankings" in your research :-) Ranking (no idea what logic they are based on, but there are quite a few of those)
2024-07-28 13:13
angelo

Quoting bugjam
The "charts" releases I know are purely personal charts of swappers, independent of legal vs illegal scene.

That's very insightful and valuable. Thank you.
2024-07-28 13:14
angelo

Quoting ws
Also, enjoy including and cross-referencing socalled "rankings" in your research :-) Ranking (no idea what logic they are based on, but there are quite a few of those)

interesting. especially it's tagged as regular demo, so it'd be easy to miss that one.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bexxx
Knight Rider/TREX
Scooby/G★P/Light
Zorch
Guests online: 99
Top Demos