Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user nurd ! (Registered 2024-06-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.
2024-02-01 19:49
acrouzet

Sounds pretty good to me. The primary use case for the document I can see is as a sort of primer for those getting into C64 graphics and the scene at large. The only thing I really question is the wording of the definition of creativity used in the doc. It's very hard to gauge what crosses the line between inspiration and copying, and this distinction may vary wildly from person to person. I personally believe that artists shouldn't be too afraid of being accused of copying, and the wording here may give people the wrong idea, if that makes sense.
2024-02-01 23:18
Burglar

this sounds much much better, well done!
2024-02-01 23:34
El Jefe

In my understanding the crucial message was there from the very beginning in v1 of the doc. It is great to see though, that the document has been updated and embraces all the constructive input that has been posted in the previous thread.

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-02 10:31
Electric

Quote: Sounds pretty good to me. The primary use case for the document I can see is as a sort of primer for those getting into C64 graphics and the scene at large. The only thing I really question is the wording of the definition of creativity used in the doc. It's very hard to gauge what crosses the line between inspiration and copying, and this distinction may vary wildly from person to person. I personally believe that artists shouldn't be too afraid of being accused of copying, and the wording here may give people the wrong idea, if that makes sense.

The doc aims to recommend being creative, which in general is a good thing for the scene - to make something new and unique instead of making representations as C64 pixels. This is generally what art teaching is mostly about. It's a good healthy thing for the person making art too, to find his/her own way of doing and along it own identity as an artist.

In other words 'doing it all by yourself' is a way to learn while 'outsourcing it all' leads to learning less.

If we take a look at the current state of art, illustration and the visual world around us, we can of course see that wider and wider portion of it is getting involved by AI and heavy use of references. Refs are nothing new of course and those can be used either in creative ways or by simply copying. ‘Being incluenced’ is another thing – none of us is free from influences and even though we would not use ‘something’ intentionally our subconscious will do the work. However, I want to point out that the norms of today don’t really change the meaning of ‘creativity’. Shortly on the etymology of the word:

creatus - “to bring into being"
creare - “to make, bring forth, produce, procreate, beget, cause"

The doc is now written towards something that we (who wrote it) see benefitting the scene. Being creative is important part in this. I think it’s also very visible thing with whole C64 demoscene tradition - while some parts of it have more technical approach the main driving force behind the scene has always been in creating something new (or at least make it bit better than the rest).

In general about the new version: we read and discussed all the talk around the 1st version. The text is mostly all rewritten and tries to consider the critical points made on the earlier version that was titled as ‘a proposal’ on purpose.

As Sander wrote, we will adjust the new version too basing on the discussion here. So, let us know if something sounds weird, bad or anything else.
2024-02-02 14:48
chatGPZ

The sad figure in me is missing some more elaborate statement regarding gfx in demos (contrary to gfx compos), so it can be correlated better to the recent outcries. This way it leaves the sad figure baffled, wondering what all the fuzz was about - because it's basically what we already implemented in gfx compos decades ago.
2024-02-02 18:27
Krill

Quoting chatGPZ
The sad figure in me is missing some more elaborate statement regarding gfx in demos (contrary to gfx compos), so it can be correlated better to the recent outcries.
Demos and UNESCO (hah) und museums and such are mentioned, this seems to imply... something.

"HUMANMADEPIXELS"! :)

"Being creative? We believe it is Using your own mind, We feel it is not Outsourcing to AI."

Meanwhile, waiting for more great stuff like https://demozoo.org/productions/336619/ https://youtu.be/1PYzXyoasmc?t=426 - pretty creative guy, that. I believe he is human.
2024-02-02 18:39
chatGPZ

Museum is so 2003
2024-02-02 18:43
Krill

"Use of AI and conversion tools is commonly frowned upon."

Not so sure about the latter. Seeing the high frequency of some top-ranked artists churning out high-quality pieces, i'd be surprised (and doubtful) if there wasn't conversion involved at some point in the process. Not the final stages (manual brush-up), though.
2024-02-02 19:17
ws

Just a word on the whole conversion thing. Conversions must be possible. Or else all the code and many of the music will be next to be frowned upon in compos, because crossdevelopment. I don't see why, if i made something in Photoshop, converted it and corrected any details, why that it not human/handmade.
(So basically, what krill said)
2024-02-02 20:03
Deev

Quote: "Use of AI and conversion tools is commonly frowned upon."

Not so sure about the latter. Seeing the high frequency of some top-ranked artists churning out high-quality pieces, i'd be surprised (and doubtful) if there wasn't conversion involved at some point in the process. Not the final stages (manual brush-up), though.

This is why there's a request for transparency. Because clearly some top-ranked artists are regularly taking shortcuts and yet everything is being judged the same. It doesn't feel like a level playing field.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
manganoid/Hokuto Force
A3/AFL
Mason/Unicess
Genius/Xenon