Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > New life for your underloved datassette unit :D
2021-10-21 02:22
Zibri
Account closed

New life for your underloved datassette unit :D

The first phase of testing just ended.
(Still in the packaging and refining phase)

But I wish to share with you all my latest accomplishment.

You might want to check this out:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979434916417540
and this:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979005117644800

The fastest example (11 kilobit/sec) has the same (or better) error rlsilience as "turbo250" but it is 3 times faster.

The slowest one (8 kilobit/sec) has the same error resilience as the standard commodore slow "save", but it is 100 times faster and twice as fast as turbo250.

;)

Notes:

1) faster speeds are possible if the tape is written with a professional equipment or hi-fi with a stabilized speed and virtually no wobbling.

2) if the tape is emulated (tapuino or similar projects) the speed can go up to 34 kilobit/sec.

3) even with datassette, higher speeds are possible but the highly depend on the status of the tape, the datassette speed and azimuth.

... 327 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-10-30 01:42
Neo-Rio
Account closed

Would love to see how this stacks up against Gyrospeed.
GyroSpeedWin

Maybe if we could get statmat to shoehorn Zibri's code into Gyrospeedwin, I could test out writing some large TAPs to C90 tapes to see how Zibri's loader holds up on a huge mixtape.
2021-10-30 04:15
ws

semi-related:
did anyone yet write a tool that digitizes audio from datasette? (like a datasette-based sampler, any links greatly appreciated)

and: is there already a datasette audio synthesizer that generates audio on a tape that then afterwards can actually be played on a normal cassette player? think "c64-bassdrum-generator-->audio to datasette"

just some friday-night-ratskrone export thoughts.
2021-10-30 10:53
tlr

Quote: semi-related:
did anyone yet write a tool that digitizes audio from datasette? (like a datasette-based sampler, any links greatly appreciated)

and: is there already a datasette audio synthesizer that generates audio on a tape that then afterwards can actually be played on a normal cassette player? think "c64-bassdrum-generator-->audio to datasette"

just some friday-night-ratskrone export thoughts.

I think there was a release doing this a few years ago, not sure.

I did a small hack trying this in my youth, as I assume many others did. It's going to be rather limited as the input is single edge detection only and the output is a one bit on or off.
2021-10-30 14:09
chatGPZ

there have been various such programs (its trivial to do) - the quality is simply terrible :)
2021-10-30 14:15
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: there have been various such programs (its trivial to do) - the quality is simply terrible :)

hahahah. only you are trivial and terrible.
and there was no such program as mine.
Go back to your lair and fix all the mess you did in vice.
Facts will speak for themselves when it will be finished and ready. And there will be instructions also to properly setup a datassette that even a "genius" like you can understand.

P.S.
My results are being checked by professional engineers and not "experts" like you. Nobody will care of your opinion and my results can be proven scientifically and practically.
Every wrong result will be due to a wrong settings of the datassete, but even in that case there will be slightly slower versions which will work on any datassete with a higher error tolerance than any other turbo.

In other words: using the "same" error tolerance of other programs, my turbo is 3 times faster on average. Using a better error tolerance is about 2 times faster and using a WIDER error tolerance is still 30% faster than the fastest turbo ever done.

Period.
If you think it is impossible I invite you to make a public bet.
I can cover asd much as you want to put in the bet.
Or just quit and shut up.
2021-10-30 14:18
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: there have been various such programs (its trivial to do) - the quality is simply terrible :)

about "it'ìs trivial to do":

sure, as you usualyy do, copying other people programs, it can be trivial. Code one from scratch and show me how trivial it is then we will compare the results.
But the judges will be engineers not your friends/clan :P

Wanna compete? Do it. Or STFU.
2021-10-30 14:21
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting ws
semi-related:

Yes and no. I coded one to test out my new turbo program, but the datassette does not know what amplitude is and only understands "rising edges" of waveforms, so you will get a sampler at 1 BIT which will sound exactly like the "impossible mission" opening speech :D
2021-10-30 14:33
chatGPZ

trivial programs that do this were all over the mags in the 80s. quick search also finds Fantasys 1Bit Tape Sampler or Tape Sampler 80% (there are surely more)
2021-10-30 14:35
Frantic

@Zibri: You do realize that Groepaz was talking about the "digitize audio from casette" issue, rather than your turbo, right?
2021-10-30 14:41
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: @Zibri: You do realize that Groepaz was talking about the "digitize audio from casette" issue, rather than your turbo, right?

OOps :D
For once I didn't. (since he didn't quote the message and was off-topic)
I thought he was referring the last message IN TOPIC.
Anyway, sorry if I misunderstood this time.
But the bets are open anyways.
:D
Previous - 1 | ... | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | 34 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Honesty/Covenant/Ons..
Hoild/Ultimate Newco..
Steffan/BOOM!
zscs
Hairdog/BOOM!^Dream
Mike