Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Why wont it let me LOAD....
2018-07-19 22:38
Nova

Why wont it let me LOAD....

Screw it,
If i had solved my problem you would all have had to
watch 36 fucking parts of Retroholica by genesis project at X2012 so i guess there is a higher purpose to not letting me irq load with on the fly decompression...

I thought i saw the light when i discovered the
Plushsqueezer V2 and integrated that loader in several
of my unfinished demos but it keeps fucking up some of my stable interupts, not all and i cant see a pattern and i have kind of given up.

I am not a multi platform programer, i love oldschool coding on the 6502 but if you ask me to compile something in a linux environment or some weird C++ cross platform compiling there is just no way, and since life still gets in the way i will most likely give up because there are more fun things to do then failing at compiling a loader with on the fly decompression for a 35 year old fucking computer !!

I managed to compile Dreamload with just the "normal" unpacked irq loading and it worked great but diskspace will soon be an issue..

Could someone please come up with a guide for compiling
both the Krill and Dreamload loaders with decompression and flip disk options in a Windows 7 64bit enviroment..

Sincerly yours:
Nova.

... 58 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-07-21 16:40
ChristopherJam

Haha maybe.

Programming is not a linear progression of skills that everyone learns in the same order. I'm a hell of a lot better at writing signal processing code than people who could run rings around me at setting up development environments.
2018-07-21 17:46
Oswald

Quote: so oswald is a windows noob?

this topic is not about me get a life dude.
2018-07-21 20:10
chatGPZ

your posts tell a different story - deal with it
2018-07-21 21:25
Raistlin

Quote: your posts tell a different story - deal with it

To put in my own two cents here... I, too, am a Linux noob. Simply, i’ve never needed it. Even when compiling code for PlayStation 3, I would do that in a Windows environment using Visual Studio.

It’s not through laziness, I just don’t need Linux. For game development, Windows is where it’s at, whether using MSVC, GCC or other.
2018-07-21 21:44
chatGPZ

but ITS NOT ABOUT LINUX AT ALL
2018-07-22 03:25
Martin Piper

If you want to learn C++ then Microsoft Windows Developer Studio is the way to go. It has the best compilers, debugger and documentation. It is by far the best free IDE.

If you want to learn Java then IntelliJ. It is much better than Eclipse and is also free.

Being cross-platform allows me to engineer much better ideas, much quicker, than I could on a C64. Complex compression needs complex code, lots of debugging and lots of memory.
2018-07-22 04:24
Compyx

Quoting Martin Piper
If you want to learn C++ then Microsoft Windows Developer Studio is the way to go. It has the best compilers, debugger and documentation. It is by far the best free IDE.

If you want to learn Java then IntelliJ. It is much better than Eclipse and is also free.

Well, that's complete bollocks. You don't learn a language by using some "awesome" IDE. that's exactly the opposite of getting to know a language properly. Especially when using IDE's from MS, Oracle and the like, they all have their specific "extensions" to the language proper.

Quoting Martin Piper
Being cross-platform allows me to engineer much better ideas, much quicker, than I could on a C64. Complex compression needs complex code, lots of debugging and lots of memory.

Uh, what?
2018-07-22 08:28
oziphantom

Quoting Golara
Krill's loader has couple of dependencies, but he listed them all together with links to where download it from. Here's a quick guide of compiling this loader.

1. Download the source code, extract it somewhere.
2. Go to Loader / Docs / Prerequisites.txt
This file lists all the programs you need and the environment paths you need to set. To check if you have the required program already just type it's name into the terminal. If you see "command not found" then you have to install it:

2.a first try sudo apt-get install NAME_OF_PROGRAM. It will download compiled program and install it for you if it's in the repository (for standard stuff like c compiler, make etc.)

If the command above fails, go to the link in the Prerequisites.txt for a given program (for example exomizer http://hem.bredband.net/magli143/exo/, download source from there and compile it (recursive :P )

General stuff on compiling.
If you see a file called Makefile then all you have to do is to type make in the terminal and the compilation will begin. Read the error messages (if any). You might get simple
exomizer : no command found meaning you don't have exo installed...

Installing compiled programs:
most makefiles will have a rule for "install", so you just type sudo make install. If it says no rule for install, then you have to copy the compiled file yourself to some path you can access from terminal. Instead of making your PATH longer and longer with every program, you can copy your compiled program to some standard path like ~/.local/bin

Setting environment variables:
easy thing. The command is called export. For example
export CC65_INC="~/some/path/you/want"

if you want to add something to already set variable (for example PATH) you do this:
export PATH = "$PATH:/another/path:/maybe/yet/another/one"

setting environment variables this way will be only remembered in the terminal window you typed it. If you want to set these for good then you have to save them to a file that is run every time you open a new terminal window. It's called .bashrc and it's in your home folder (files starting with dot are hidden, so you need to enable show hidden files in your file browser, in terminal it doesn't matter, just nano/vim/ed/whatever_turns_you_on ~/.bashrc

This is true...If you are using a Debian based version?/variant/strain and that version has bash installed as its shell, and it uses the debian package manager. Of which it needs then be noted that Ubuntu and Lubuntu are branches from Debian and I think one of the Mint's is but the other isn't? or maybe they just change the window manager, or one of the window managers is a cross blend that kind of uses both. Its hard to find answers in the holy wars. Or it uses the other package manager. These things are not really spelt out and every single "version" seems to be something this one person made for themselves 10 years ago...
2018-07-22 08:33
oziphantom

Quoting ChristopherJam
Eh, I remember having issues with that when I was a linux n00b.

Like, editing it in my .login instead of my .cshrc and wondering why it didn't take effect even in new shells, fucking up the syntax, accidentally overwriting instead of prepending, appending instead of prepending and wondering why my addition was getting shadowed.

TBH I probably fucked it up in DOS a few times too back in the day.

I still don't think I have been able to permanently change mine on my linux vms. Probably because of all of the above. I also assume all the people that do the "well I just make a script that opens a window and sets them for me" are also people who have failed and just gave up...

I've installed software that has an installer and it still fails, I have to dig through the folder structure and find the right elf and then run it with sudo from the command line...
2018-07-22 09:39
Krill

Quoting Golara
Krill's loader has couple of dependencies [...]
export CC65_INC="~/some/path/you/want"
Just a side-note: Most of the dependencies, including cc65's C-64 run-time library, were only really needed if you built the whole package, including both the statically-linked relocateable object files and the dynamically-linked incarnation of the loader library.

What most people want and do, however, is just something like a simple "make prg ZP=02 INSTALL=1000 RESIDENT=0200", and out come install.prg, loader.prg and loadersymbols.inc, ready to be .incbin'd and .included by their favourite assembler, whatever it may be.

That said, i've recently removed a lot (all?) of the over-engineered cruft nobody really ever needed, like the facility to link the loader dynamically (which was initially thought as a simple means for any user to update the loader of an existing production without the creators having to rebuild it, by simply overwriting the loader library with a more recent build, or even an entirely different loader sharing the same API/ABI).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 130
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)