Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Coding Habits
2021-10-24 04:56
ZIG

Coding Habits

Ok, so this is a super random question, but I would like to know how the 'high performance' demo coders approach coding nowadays - from a time management perspective.

What I am asking is, how do you balance work and democoding?

How much time would you spend coding in a week? Do you spend big chunks of time or just an hour here and there?

How effective would you be in a sitting? Like, how long does it take you to get into your code and what kind of results would you regularly get?

Finally, how much time would you spend 'experimenting' - say fooling around with an effect you are thinking doing one day of vs production of finished demos/intro etc in a given week/month etc?

Sorry to ask such weird questions, but I feel a bit stuck in making progress on coding right now with so many commitments and I just want to see if there are different ways, or maybe I am just sloooow. Good old ADHD at work. :(

Anyways, thx!
Zig/

... 29 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-10-27 16:51
chatGPZ

9 is a good age to start with 6502 :)
2021-10-27 17:23
Oswald

I dont know I heard guys saying they were doing asm around 10, but I remember struggling to gasp even the concepts of basic.
2021-10-27 17:30
chatGPZ

It all depends on the teacher!
2021-10-27 19:27
Trap

Back in the day I think most of us only had ourselves as teachers ... rich kids had a programmer's guide :D
2021-10-27 21:43
ZIG

In 1987 I got a programmers reference guide for $30 and it was the key to understand for sure. In Australia there were only a few dudes coding and I was lucky to find a couple guys that would explain basics to me so I could get started using assembler instead of monitor... But I only ever had one machine for years.

I think today it's harder to get into computers than back then because there is so much choice to not code - and they don't let you easily get under the lipstick UI. I think the best thing a teacher can do now is seed some ideas and give them tools. My son was curious about the c64 and we would watch demos together as a child and he started coding for gameboy. Now he is 19 and doing computer science at uni - but I feel like I failed him a little as he didn't get as much experience actually coding.

It's hard doing code review on kids assignment without just wanting to do it!
2021-10-27 21:45
ZIG

Quoting Trap
total burnout.

Also this explains a lot. I basically (stupidly) did this for work instead of demos...
2021-11-07 13:28
awsm

Very interesting thread, thank you for asking these questions.

Being married with children plus a demanding day job I rarely have enough energy in the evening and it surely doesn't help that both my wife and my son love watching movies. I feel I waste a lot of my potential and creativity by just sitting on the couch and watching youtube on my phone while the rest of the family watches some US comedy series I find utterly boring.

I have to motivate myself to sit in front of the computer after a long day in front of the very same computer. Deadlines actually help me a lot, I seem to need some pressure.

I have to agree with what Angel of Death said and add that once you're into it and released something you enjoy yourself, it is greatly rewarding and emotionally satisfying. I generate much more energy out of a good result than the amount I had to invest.
2021-11-07 20:58
Bitbreaker

I was coding a lot at work in the past, around 90% of the past demos and stuff were done there. Meanwhile i also did some coding while being on the train or in homeoffice. I tend to code in huge blocks, it is hard to stop if my brain is full of ideas to try out and i hate it, when getting disturbed and all the focus on coding is lost. It helps to write down future work and ideas to stop for now, but stll more ideas can pop up later and i need to note them down then.
I love to experiment, but also need to be convinced of an idea to start coding. There's ideas i never started, and i recognise that ideas get more and more scarce over the time. I definitely work in creative bursts, i then put in all time available, followed by outdoor-activities or time for children.
Sometimes coding is like a drug and i can't stop when i am in a flow.
2021-11-07 21:43
JackAsser

Quote: I was coding a lot at work in the past, around 90% of the past demos and stuff were done there. Meanwhile i also did some coding while being on the train or in homeoffice. I tend to code in huge blocks, it is hard to stop if my brain is full of ideas to try out and i hate it, when getting disturbed and all the focus on coding is lost. It helps to write down future work and ideas to stop for now, but stll more ideas can pop up later and i need to note them down then.
I love to experiment, but also need to be convinced of an idea to start coding. There's ideas i never started, and i recognise that ideas get more and more scarce over the time. I definitely work in creative bursts, i then put in all time available, followed by outdoor-activities or time for children.
Sometimes coding is like a drug and i can't stop when i am in a flow.

Exactly the same here
2021-11-08 13:36
Jammer

I'm nolife and I create stuff compulsively. That's definitely a bad habit :D
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Apollyon/ALD
Mike
iceout/Avatar/HF
Clayboy
zzarko