Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #147008 : Ring on a String +
2016-04-04 13:06
Didi

Release id #147008 : Ring on a String +

Quoting User Comment
Submitted by hedning on 4 April 2016
Didi: Problem with your argument with Monster Buster is that Onslaught won that race with this equally untrained release (they were first on the majority of boards): Monster Buster - then they uploaded a new trained version later on.

Well, from my memory the trained version of Monster Buster was uploaded to the boards as well to prevent anyone to grab the points through the quality rule (a fact which is not documented by any post), and secure the firstie.
With the argument of being uploaded to the majority of boards you could have got any of our this years RGCD releases, because The Hidden was offline that night. Just wait until it is back and upload to all 3 and get away with it. That's why it is not the way I handle it. Majority is being first on 2 of 3 within 24h. And who was first can be seen in the directory listing on the board.

Well, for me it's the quality rule which fits this release and justifies giving the points to Excess here. Different mag editors have always had different ways to handle releases.

... 42 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2016-04-05 10:52
sailor

Quoting Fungus
GG was also awarding "best" release to ones that had a bunch of stuff ripped out of them.

hmmmno? :)
If you actually left something out you got a negative comment. The ones with intro vs without were two separate categories of the same game.
2016-04-05 10:57
Fungus

Not to mention that a lot of the things being released now were released by those "lamer labels" in the past, because of the type of material it was. It really didn't have anything to do with mocking or making fun of first release groups usually, but it certainly was used that way a few times when those groups released full price games out of spite.

If the groups which remain active are going to feel insulted by that, I think maybe you should take a more open look at the history. That is why some people tend not to take it very seriously. I don't think you can blame them (us) for it either.

This is exactly the type of reason that groups like Cyberpunx, Nostalgia, Remember, Lurid+Tricycle etc started to do older games using modern techniques. Sometimes that type of competition could be fun too and not revolve around 1sties and points... seems only Hokuto Force tries to compete on these terms, which is an admirable goal too. However apples and oranges again.

Maybe everyone should just chill out and not take things so serious anymore, and just have fun and a good time like you all seem to profess you want to. With competition there will be drama and differences of opinion always no matter the scene, so make a choice.
2016-04-05 11:00
Shine

"Maybe everyone should just chill out and not take things so serious anymore, and just have fun and a good time like you all seem to profess you want to."

This should be the most important rule!
2016-04-05 11:04
Fungus

Quote: Not to mention that a lot of the things being released now were released by those "lamer labels" in the past, because of the type of material it was. It really didn't have anything to do with mocking or making fun of first release groups usually, but it certainly was used that way a few times when those groups released full price games out of spite.

If the groups which remain active are going to feel insulted by that, I think maybe you should take a more open look at the history. That is why some people tend not to take it very seriously. I don't think you can blame them (us) for it either.

This is exactly the type of reason that groups like Cyberpunx, Nostalgia, Remember, Lurid+Tricycle etc started to do older games using modern techniques. Sometimes that type of competition could be fun too and not revolve around 1sties and points... seems only Hokuto Force tries to compete on these terms, which is an admirable goal too. However apples and oranges again.

Maybe everyone should just chill out and not take things so serious anymore, and just have fun and a good time like you all seem to profess you want to. With competition there will be drama and differences of opinion always no matter the scene, so make a choice.

Hmm I remember checking the lists and noticed that load pics and game intros were removed from some releases. Maybe I misunderstood that there were more than one category or how the rankings were done.
2016-04-05 11:24
chatGPZ

the one big problem with GG was that it encouraged making the smallest version - which indeed often resulted in a bunch of ripped to death versions competing. thank god this nonsense is over :)
2016-04-05 11:43
Smasher

"the shorter the better" - yes, real life is completely different :)
2016-04-05 12:07
Didi

It's not only the size that matters. :D
2016-04-05 12:30
hedning

Now when I've had my snus and coffee: The discussion above is only important when there are 10+ releases at the same time, and everyone is rushing for firsties (with the exception of this year where there was no real rush). All other years when it was RGCD time practically all active groups made some effort to at least put in a trainer or two before releasing their version, so it's not a problem really. And then after some days someone (often Didi) will put out a ntsc fixed mail release. So: I am not worried. This whole discussion is about if it's necessary or not with trainers in Ring on a String.

When it comes to the state of the first release scene of today, people tend to say that we release stuff today that was impossible to release back in the days. Yes, of course. It's not 1989 anymore with floods of commercial products, and the first release scene takes some pride in researching and preserving unknown games of the past (of course we won't release whatever we find though) - some of these games were unthinkable to release 1992, of course. For example the extremely simple but completely unknown commercial cartridge game Megapede +DG, but then we make a good package out of it before release.
2016-04-05 12:32
chatGPZ

Quote:
we won't release whatever we find

good one!
2016-04-05 14:27
hedning

Quote: Quote:
we won't release whatever we find

good one!

Thanx.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
FEFA/Level 64
sailor/Triad
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
theK/ATL
Manex/Anubis
Guests online: 107