Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D
2020-02-15 17:47
jcompton

Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D

With a dramatically improved saver and a trainer, it is now much much easier to live long enough to stumble into the original game's bugs!

Notably:

- Certain potion effects (Potions of Protection +1/+2) modify the wrong area of memory and may not actually provide any benefit whatsoever.

- These potion-related memory trashes can affect playfield graphics like door labels and mountain backdrops.

- Too many potion effects will crash the game!

- Banks may exhibit erratic behavior at times.

- Upon transitioning from a building back to the game map, the game sometimes "forgets" whether you are outdoors or in an "enclosed area."

- The game mostly hides the mirroring of door labels, but forgets to do so in certain types of Enclosed Areas, so words like "SHOP" and "TAVERN" will appear reversed on the bottom of the door.

- In silent interiors there's a horrible buzzing sound when the SID should probably just be turned off.
2020-02-16 10:11
TheRyk

Uh... sounds like Bacchus can't leave this one alone for good yet but needs to work on a 101% version :)
2020-02-16 22:14
bugjam

What TheRyk said. Can't leave it half-baked now. :)
2020-02-16 23:48
hedning

If he does, a IFFL would be nice too. Seems like a perfect case. And I know he has N0sD0s. :)
2020-02-17 00:40
Smasher

hey Nostalgia: make N0SDOS public! it's about time... :)
2020-02-18 22:19
Bacchus

Quote: If he does, a IFFL would be nice too. Seems like a perfect case. And I know he has N0sD0s. :)

@hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? When was the last time GP released an IFFL to even put you in a position to complain about this on all our releases?

It's a fancy technology for squeezing a few block extra out of a release and some minor benefit on file search. But it makes the release a whole lot more complex and less compatible for a very non crucial benefit.

And IFFL plus save is also a mess. I refuse to save inside the IFFL. Stuff like highscore and progress shall be saved outside the main file. This is what N0SD0S has. ND is also TurboAssembler and has a lot of setup and requirements on how to populate the file to make it work.

And other implementations only support save of files where the file is byte by byte exactly the relevant size and it also needs to be preallocated. No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

So again; why this constant moaning over IFFL?

Pontus "Bacchus" Berg
* FairLight Council *
2020-02-18 22:57
hedning

Quote: @hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? When was the last time GP released an IFFL to even put you in a position to complain about this on all our releases?

It's a fancy technology for squeezing a few block extra out of a release and some minor benefit on file search. But it makes the release a whole lot more complex and less compatible for a very non crucial benefit.

And IFFL plus save is also a mess. I refuse to save inside the IFFL. Stuff like highscore and progress shall be saved outside the main file. This is what N0SD0S has. ND is also TurboAssembler and has a lot of setup and requirements on how to populate the file to make it work.

And other implementations only support save of files where the file is byte by byte exactly the relevant size and it also needs to be preallocated. No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

Pontus "Bacchus" Berg
* FairLight Council *

Oh, mr. *FairLight Council*, I just said this release seems like a perfect release to use IFFL. It would save blocks, and look sexier? Oh. Regarding GP, whatever that has to do with it, last times we used IFFL were the times we needed it, and had time to implement it, probably Aviator Arcade II +7D, Labyrinth of Crete &DS &Map. Perhaps somewhere else. Don't remember.

I don't moan. I just say this release could benefit from it, don't you think? I'm not saying anything else.

Stop being so butthurt, taking less than 10-votes as a personal violation. And: your high tail guide in the scroller and officially might trigger people. I only have an honest opinion. Take it or leave it.

I voted 10 by the way.
2020-02-18 23:11
Jazzcat

@hedning: nice that you voted 10, couldn't see as your votes are hidden. Cool!

Don't think IFFL is really the priority here with this release. The priority has been addressed by Fairlight, which is a working crack. Secondary to this would be to make a 101% version with bug fixes of the original in-game bugs. Adding IFFL to "look sexy" is not the same as "is sexy". :P

Good work Fairlight, thanks for your hard work!
2020-02-18 23:26
hedning

Quote: @hedning: nice that you voted 10, couldn't see as your votes are hidden. Cool!

Don't think IFFL is really the priority here with this release. The priority has been addressed by Fairlight, which is a working crack. Secondary to this would be to make a 101% version with bug fixes of the original in-game bugs. Adding IFFL to "look sexy" is not the same as "is sexy". :P

Good work Fairlight, thanks for your hard work!

<Post edited by hedning on 18/2-2020 23:40>

I didn't expect any other answer from you than that, as you seem to be the FLT fan #1, even listing FLT oldie cracks in your first release list as "honourable mentions" even if they are not first releases, while forgetting other more awesome ones; but you are right. This crack is perfectly working, and I do not complain. It's a 10. No question about it. Good work Bacchus! I just adressed stuff that could have been better. Is that wrong in any sense? It's not like this crack had to be rushed or anything.
2020-02-18 23:34
Jazzcat

If there is a fully working crack, for the first time, it is mentioned in the list. It may not get points but it is mentioned. If there is releases missing or if there is any mistakes, please message me and I will update it (I am usually pretty quick with the correction).
2020-02-18 23:39
hedning

Quote: If there is a fully working crack, for the first time, it is mentioned in the list. It may not get points but it is mentioned. If there is releases missing or if there is any mistakes, please message me and I will update it (I am usually pretty quick with the correction).

Good to know. Great to see you this active again by the way. We have missed you. :D
2020-02-18 23:45
Jazzcat

I have been inactive? Did not notice this. May be I should organise three demo parties this year? :)
2020-02-18 23:51
hedning

Quote: I have been inactive? Did not notice this. May be I should organise three demo parties this year? :)

Please do!
2020-02-18 23:53
Jazzcat

Oh and if anything is missing from The List, anyone: please drop a pm! Want to keep it as accurate as possible!

http://thelist.c64.org
2020-02-19 07:58
MagerValp

Quoting Bacchus
No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

No, it only supports overwriting already existing files. No file creation or allocation of new blocks.

And IFFL is more pain than gain. It makes supporting some drives much harder, and the scanning takes time and effort. Unless the game is so big that it won't fit on a disk without it, it doesn't add anything other than a pretty directory.

On to 101% instead!
2020-02-19 08:02
MagerValp

Oh and downvoters are just silly. According to them the last release of U4r is the worst :D

CSDb should just remove all anonymous votes.
2020-02-19 08:58
Count Zero

Remove all votes.
Deja vu.
2020-02-19 09:29
Danzig

Quote: Remove all votes.
Deja vu.

Or like in germoney nowdays: revert and repeat the voting until the result fits ;-) sry, couldn't resist :-D
2020-02-19 09:32
Danzig

Quote: Quoting Bacchus
No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

No, it only supports overwriting already existing files. No file creation or allocation of new blocks.

And IFFL is more pain than gain. It makes supporting some drives much harder, and the scanning takes time and effort. Unless the game is so big that it won't fit on a disk without it, it doesn't add anything other than a pretty directory.

On to 101% instead!

Na, scanning... overrated! we should stick with overloading iffl, that is easy to keep compatible with all the new tech and when it comes to saving: just add data at the end :-D

That spoken, I dive into a vulanco right away, kthxbye ;-)
2020-02-19 09:48
Raistlin

IMO this is a very nice release. It's outside the first release compo, of course, but that's great - the first release compo should encourage the scene, not consume it (ie. if it stops groups wanting to improve certain games, because there are no points for doing so, that's bad - those games shouldn't get points, of course, but some groups are ONLY interested in chasing points ... which might mean they discount the work needed for a release that sceners might genuinely be interested in).

It makes me wonder, actually.. if Bacchus had 101% fixed this game, added to it with (optional) improved graphics, and called it a "Remastered" version ... that would be a new release, right..? (though of course FLT couldn't get FR points for that either - as you can't crack your own game)

I have no idea on the merits of IFFL so will stay out of that one .. I think back in the 80s it was cool because you could have IFFL'ed games nicely interleaved on a multi-game disk without the DIR getting messy ... but if a game fills a whole disk, that's not relevant anyway - in which case it mostly just comes down to functionality.

On voting ... taking a "9" vote as being a downvote was wrong IMO. Writing about it on CSDB was catastrophic (if you care about scores) as it only leads to people who really don't care about cracks jumping in with even lower votes.

I voted a 10 too by the way. I believe Hedning wouldn't lie about that either - there are so many admins on CSDB, it wouldn't be good for him to lie about that.
2020-02-19 12:54
Frantic

Exactly. IFFL would be irrelevant in this case.
2020-02-19 13:06
MagerValp

Since all other cracks are broken, doesn't this count as a first release? Or is 35 years too slow? :D
2020-02-19 13:11
hedning

Quote: Since all other cracks are broken, doesn't this count as a first release? Or is 35 years too slow? :D

Yeah. Cracker groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit after a initial release. But in this case it was never cracked properly (or at all) afaik, so I would say this actually counts as a first release. There might be working cracks of this game out there somewhere, even if it's unlikely - who knows. Time will tell.
2020-02-19 13:16
TheRyk

Quote:
groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit

... for a 100% version earning 1stie statwanking points

For a 101% version any group (though I don't think anyone outside FLT will bother the trouble) has all the time in the world
2020-02-19 13:38
Raistlin

Are the points earned for releasing a 100% and later a 101% the same as just going straight to a 101%?
2020-02-19 13:56
Krill

Quoting Bacchus
@hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? [...]
And IFFL plus save is also a mess. [...]
Funny, there's this:
User Comment
Submitted by Bacchus on 14 August 2018
Kewl stuff. Not let's take it to the next level as per our discussion :)
over on Krill's Loader, Repository Version 164 referring to
Quoting Bacchus
My wishlist is;
* Option for file and IFFL [...]
<some detailed IFFL requirements>
(And no, i don't have any plans to add IFFL because yes, IFFL sucks, but actually only due to Commodore not having seen fit to have a KERNAL call for seek functionality.)
2020-02-19 15:37
jcompton

Quote: Yeah. Cracker groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit after a initial release. But in this case it was never cracked properly (or at all) afaik, so I would say this actually counts as a first release. There might be working cracks of this game out there somewhere, even if it's unlikely - who knows. Time will tell.

I've seen someone swear up and down that the MZP version is 100%, but:

1. With over one-third of a century to find it, the most anybody's ever come up with from that version is the boot side (so, just one of the original three, and there's absolutely no evidence to suggest anybody's ever taken on the project of one-siding this game before.)

2. What we *can* see of the MZP version shows clearly that it's been tampered with in a way that would make it much less than a reliable historical artifact.

3. AR fandom may not make major headlines today against a backdrop of Sonic movies and so forth, but it was pretty strong by 1990s Internet standards and the game still has a significant following in some corners today. It is unlikely that anybody who appreciates this game would deliberately hoard a good crack of it.

I'm not a cracker. I only know what the people who *declined* to take on this monumental task have remarked about it, and then my lens into the work that Bacchus did to actually beat it into submission.

And I'm saying it's very, very unlikely that we'd have all collectively forgotten the time somebody actually *did* overcome this challenge back in the day.
2020-02-19 15:52
sailor

IFFL would made sense on this release, first it would shortened it down a bit... and there are up to 10(?) dirpages it need to process when seeking a file. An IFFL would not had the seek times and the IFFLscan is done once... all depending of course how often it needs to load.

With n0sd0s, for example, you'd get support for a bunch of drives and REU and its notably fast.

Kernal support in this case doesnt seem to be a priority, its stated in the docs.. could had been IFFL aswell in regards of compatibility.

I like this release, I voted 10.

Keep up the good work Bacchus :)
2020-02-19 16:22
Krill

Quoting sailor
IFFL would made sense on this release, first it would shortened it down a bit... and there are up to 10(?) dirpages it need to process when seeking a file. An IFFL would not had the seek times and the IFFLscan is done once... all depending of course how often it needs to load.
Hmm, so directory caches haven't been invented yet in the cracking scene? :) (But yes, IFFL would make sense if ignoring compatibility issues.)
2020-02-19 22:35
Bacchus

There are like twenty people in the world with whom you can have a sensible discussion over IFFL - Sailor and MagerValp being two of them. It's interesting that their conclusions are different.

I did the following writeup that documents my view:

http://bergatrollet.se/blog/2020/02/the-obsolescence-of-iffl/

It's quite obvious you need to take a pick - compatibility or a slightly faster dir search. These are the two relevant aspects where IFFL is a factor that sacrifices compatibility to gain a faster disk search.

Also; there is no IFFL that supports save as I want it.

I would use IFFL if the additional blocks you could win, was determining if I could oneside it or not - in all other cases I could not be bothered.

What could change my mind? I guess gamer's guide reappearing would be the thing. But still, for this game I wouldn't do it even in that case, as I never expect anyone to crack it again. So the size will not be compared to anything else ever.
2020-02-19 23:01
Bacchus

Quote: IFFL would made sense on this release, first it would shortened it down a bit... and there are up to 10(?) dirpages it need to process when seeking a file. An IFFL would not had the seek times and the IFFLscan is done once... all depending of course how often it needs to load.

With n0sd0s, for example, you'd get support for a bunch of drives and REU and its notably fast.

Kernal support in this case doesnt seem to be a priority, its stated in the docs.. could had been IFFL aswell in regards of compatibility.

I like this release, I voted 10.

Keep up the good work Bacchus :)

Support for REU would be nice (we don't have that) and Kernal compatibility is implemented. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked on SD2IEC (which is confirmed to be working by a user - I gave up on it, and stopped testing it, but seems to have nailed it anyways).

Having said this, there are files that are always loaded together so I'm sure that it would be possible to reduce the number of files by the Version 1 of IFFL. That could possibly reduced at least 20 files. But please mind that I have populated the disk so that the most commonly accessed are amongst the first, so on the latter part of the disk you find the items loaded one or at most a few times during the span of the game, so the cases where such linking would make any sort of speed difference is really rare...
2020-02-20 03:23
Fungus

Lets get some things straight first since there is a lot of misinformation about stuff which has floated around for decades.

1) G*P did not invent IFFL, nor is a true IFFL with byte linking. V-MAX and Rapidlok used this technique YEARS before, and it is also truely byte linked. It is just taken from a commercial loading system. So lets not continue this useless sack riding of Snacky who didn't invent dick.

2) n0sd0s is compatible with almost any commercial drive, including CMD devices, ide64, and almost any 3rd party 1541 clone. We tested that exhaustively, so this argument is invalid.

3) If you don't like something or that n0sd0s doesn't do, and I know you have the source. Add it, which is what any capable cracker/coder will do. If this is beyond your skill, then ask one of us, I'm sure we can manage for you.

As for dir buffering, this doesn't make any sense when space is often limited, and there is no room for such things. You know that krill. Also please don't start an IFFL bashing thing, different loaders for different purposes. Demo loaders are mostly useless for cracks and you know it.

*Nostalgia Council*
2020-02-20 08:53
ChristopherJam

Firstly, mad props on the achievement - getting down to a single side is amazing work.

Secondly 9's not a downvote if it's what the original 9 voter genuinely rated the release as - and hey, this means whoever it was now has room to give a higher rating to a 101% version :) (note - I've not voted yet :P )

Anyone who doesn't like anon votes is free to ignore them - csdb already gives two scores :P

As for the whole IFFL thing - yeah, I can see compatibility arguments against it, and clearly the extra space wasn't needed. It also sounds like Bacchus has done a nice job of moving the most commonly used files to the front to minimise the dir scanning.

Interesting that there are some pairs of files that are always loaded at the same time though. Sounds like there's room in the toolkit for a loader/decruncher pair that can deal with fragmented memory. (fwiw, nucrunch can decrunch to multiple areas, but the source has to be contiguous, and besides the decruncher isn't all that small)

Again, excellent work on this release!
2020-02-20 08:57
Krill

Quoting Fungus
As for dir buffering, this doesn't make any sense when space is often limited, and there is no room for such things. You know that krill.
I was merely refuting the argument that loading by directory means seeking to the directory track for every loaded file. And whether you buffer (cache) a directory or an IFFL T/S/offset table doesn't make much of a difference, in size or otherwise. Of course you'd go for having the buffer in drive RAM first, and even having only 9 entries in the cache (which is just a ring buffer) makes for quite an improvement regarding minimising seeking to and fro the dir track.

Quoting Fungus
Also please don't start an IFFL bashing thing, different loaders for different purposes. Demo loaders are mostly useless for cracks and you know it.
I didn't intend to bash the very concept of random-access reading from a large file to save block allocation overhead. I simply stated its biggest downsize on this platform is that there never was standardised support for it, so compatibility is the big issue. I also admitted that it does have its uses. But i don't quite see how a "demo loader" would be much different from loaders used in games, in size or otherwise. "G.I. Joe" would like to have a word with you. :D
2020-02-20 09:34
Danzig

Quote: Quoting Fungus
As for dir buffering, this doesn't make any sense when space is often limited, and there is no room for such things. You know that krill.
I was merely refuting the argument that loading by directory means seeking to the directory track for every loaded file. And whether you buffer (cache) a directory or an IFFL T/S/offset table doesn't make much of a difference, in size or otherwise. Of course you'd go for having the buffer in drive RAM first, and even having only 9 entries in the cache (which is just a ring buffer) makes for quite an improvement regarding minimising seeking to and fro the dir track.

Quoting Fungus
Also please don't start an IFFL bashing thing, different loaders for different purposes. Demo loaders are mostly useless for cracks and you know it.
I didn't intend to bash the very concept of random-access reading from a large file to save block allocation overhead. I simply stated its biggest downsize on this platform is that there never was standardised support for it, so compatibility is the big issue. I also admitted that it does have its uses. But i don't quite see how a "demo loader" would be much different from loaders used in games, in size or otherwise. "G.I. Joe" would like to have a word with you. :D

I guess "demo loader" was ment in terms of "linear loading" from start to end instead of "randomly" loading depending fe. where the player decides to go.
2020-02-20 10:34
Krill

Quoting Danzig
I guess "demo loader" was ment in terms of "linear loading" from start to end instead of "randomly" loading depending fe. where the player decides to go.
Okay, but there are only two demo-centric systems that i'm aware of that don't support loading files in dynamic order (Spindle and Sparkle). Which i always felt to be too restrictive, as it doesn't allow for certain kinds of demo/effect.
2020-02-20 11:02
Danzig

Quote: Quoting Danzig
Okay, but there are only two demo-centric systems that i'm aware of that don't support loading files in dynamic order (Spindle and Sparkle). Which i always felt to be too restrictive, as it doesn't allow for certain kinds of demo/effect.

Are there any more especially "demo-centric"? ;-)

TBH I prefer compatibility over speed, nevertheless I haven't really waited for true drive for ages, just using WARP in VICE nowadays :-D

In my book it's absolutely legit ppl wanting to run multi-loader games/demos from the U1541*IEC*Whatever.

I always ever saw IFFL as a weapon crackers "invented" (yeah, scott, I know ;-) ) because swappers where too m*f dump and copied full-side-multi-file productions with filecopier or (even worse and happened more often) fuxxored the T/S-loader-products using VALIDATE just to copy some silly note on the disk. IFFL was considered swapper-friendly :-D
2020-02-20 11:37
Fungus

I look at it like people are buying inferior hardware (sd2iec) that will not work with 90% of software released for the c64, so that's on them if things don't work and we shouldn't automatically want to support something like that. I would prefer to encourage people to buy a proper drive emulator like pi1541.

By "demo loader" I meant that they are tailored specifically for demos, built for pure speed, and not for space constraints. They also tend to want to unpack after loading and that's often just impossible with a game due to there being no buffer space for that, although newer crunchers are being able to support in place unpacking, but sacrifice some ratio, which is paramount in a quality crack. Also demo loaders can be overly complex and you have to make multiple versions to support multiple drives, where something like n0sd0s is all in one and supports everything via detection and/or menu choice.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. If you cannot improve on a release from back in the day, then I see no point in doing a new version. That includes supporting actual real hardware with fast loading and IFFL for space saving. It also includes fixing bugs, making sure *everything* is present in the game including loading screens and music loaders. I have other pet peeves about some of the "improved" things released lately but that's a rant for another topic.
2020-02-20 11:56
Krill

Quoting Fungus
By "demo loader" I meant that they are tailored specifically for demos, built for pure speed, and not for space constraints.
Those would be Spindle and Sparkle, which are exceptions. Most loaders are general purpose. Oh, and the two aren't faster than, well, my general-purpose loader. :)

Quoting Fungus
They also tend to want to unpack after loading and that's often just impossible with a game due to there being no buffer space for that, although newer crunchers are being able to support in place unpacking, but sacrifice some ratio, which is paramount in a quality crack.
With Exomizer being the current reference in pack ratio, the files it generates can be (and are) depacked almost in-place, while loading. That is, three or so bytes are overwritten after the end of the unpacked area. If those cannot be buffered and restored, there are other options with slightly worse pack ratios. That is pretty much independent from the loader, though.

Quoting Fungus
Also demo loaders can be overly complex and you have to make multiple versions to support multiple drives, where something like n0sd0s is all in one and supports everything via detection and/or menu choice.
You seem to be comparing bad implementations of "demo loaders" with a good implementation of a "game loader", not conceptual differences, of which there aren't many. Detecting the drive and uploading one or the other piece of custom code to it isn't restricted to "game loaders". :)
2020-02-20 12:29
hedning

Quoting Fungus
I look at it like people are buying inferior hardware (sd2iec) that will not work with 90% of software released for the c64, so that's on them if things don't work and we shouldn't automatically want to support something like that. I would prefer to encourage people to buy a proper drive emulator like pi1541.

This! Exactly.
2020-02-20 15:26
jcompton

If anybody's interested in a player's perspective on this, I'm absolutely as pleased as a Tail of the Dog dinner of pork ribs and sasperilla that we lucked into SD2IEC compatibility in the final day of tweaks and testing.

Yum.
2020-02-21 15:01
Fungus

As I said, if you want to limit yourself like that, that's your choice. Most of us aren't going to go out of our way to support that hardware and degrade the quality of our work to do so.
2020-02-24 17:06
Bacchus

Key is still - what are the pros and cons of IFFL?

Pro is faster Dir search (and I agree with Krill that the scan table is basically a dir cache). The extra blocks gained is a TOTALLY minor advantage. Was more back when Gamer's Guide was relevant. Much less now. When there is competition I will reconsider, but it's not like I expect there to be a competing version out any time soon.

Con is still less compatibility. SD2IEC migtht be "inferior" but it's a widespread piece of hardware our there and I think there is aclear advantage for a number of users that it works for this unit.

I don't think it's important to support SD2IEC, but it still think it's MORE important to support it than to gain a few extra blocks in savings.

And this entire first release thing has turned into something we are really not intereseted in participating in. As you need to format it in 6ZIp format and upload it to BBSes (notoriously unstable, busy and with fill disks) so that there had to be a scheme for telling if a valid upload is done by a weirdly complex system of counted BBSes and fallback ones.

And releasing a crap version you look up competition. The valid is not the first working one - it's the first one ragardless the state, and then you have a year to fix it. But it's not like it's open season after the year.

For me first working and a provable time stamp is first. Crap blocking and this silly BBS charade is plain wrong.
/Bacchus
2020-02-24 18:22
Fix

@Bacchus

IFFL CON: compatibility ?

If you ask me it depends on what drives you support in your loader.

For me IFFL is a matter of taste and choice of the cracker.
I like to use IFFL if there are many files, else a normal fastloader is working fine. Since scanning takes some time with IFFL.
2020-02-24 21:09
Krill

Quoting Bacchus
Pro [of IFFL] is faster Dir search (and I agree with Krill that the scan table is basically a dir cache).
Shouldn't buffering a directory be faster than scanning a large file, as the directory is on a single track?

Quoting Fix
Since scanning takes some time with IFFL.
Seems like on-the-fly scanning hasn't been invented yet? =)
2020-02-24 21:20
Burglar

Quote:
Seems like on-the-fly scanning hasn't been invented yet? =)
well, the iffl I used in return of heracles actually doesn't need to scan, but I guess my loader is the only one that has that feature ;)

anyways, I like iffl, despite its obvious drawbacks.
2020-02-25 10:49
Bacchus

This entire discussion starts by Hedning requesting IFFL - a feature GP themselves haven't implemented. I don't have any IFFL that supports Exomizer 3 and save as I want it (dynamic files).

@fix Yes - for example SD2IEC.

@krill Well the disk should be file copyable and if you do that, the track and sector cannot be assumed. It needs to be scanned to generate the table. The FLT IFFL scan and build a table that is track&/sector/offset totally dynamically. IFFLs such as N0SD0S need to be linked with a dedicated linker and add the offset table in the beginning of the file. Scanning is not a big thing - you fire away the scanner before you launch the intro and don't allow exit before the scanner is done, so the time it takes is not really wasted anyways.

@burglar How do you do it if you don't scan?

/Bacchus
2020-02-25 12:35
MagerValp

Quoting Bacchus
@krill Well the disk should be file copyable and if you do that, the track and sector cannot be assumed. It needs to be scanned to generate the table.

What Krill suggests is making the game files copyable, but not packing multiple files into one like IFFL. That way you only have to read and cache track 18 to get the T/S of every file, you don't have to scan the sector links like with IFFL.

But really, dir cache vs IFFL scan makes little practical difference for the player, it happens once at startup and if you do it right like you say you mask it with the intro. Both give you faster file access when the game runs, which depending on the game can be a noticable improvement.

Personally I wouldn't bother with IFFL again unless it was critical to fitting the game on one disk side, like with U4, but to each their own.
2020-02-25 13:22
Krill

Quoting MagerValp
Quoting Bacchus
@krill Well the disk should be file copyable and if you do that, the track and sector cannot be assumed. It needs to be scanned to generate the table.
What Krill suggests is making the game files copyable, but not packing multiple files into one like IFFL. That way you only have to read and cache track 18 to get the T/S of every file, you don't have to scan the sector links like with IFFL.
I was stating this:

Loading by directory: Read and buffer directory once, then never go to dir track during the game.
Loading by IFFL: Scanning the entire file before running the game takes longer than just buffering the directory.

But then you don't need to scan everything before running the game, or mask the time required by refusing to exit the intro until scanning is done.

You scan to the required file on demand, building the track/sector/offset table piece-wise, which is what Burglar did (if i got him right).
Assuming the files are linked in a somewhat reasonable order (such that in general, stuff to be loaded later in the game would appear later in the IFFL file), there would be little overhead for dynamic scanning during gameplay.

(And of course IFFL must be file-copyable and fixed T/S cannot be assumed.)

Edit: Oh, and thinking about it, even with fully-random file access in some hypothetical malicious game, the loader could partially scan through the IFFL file whenever nothing is to be loaded, i.e, when the drive would be idle normally, until everything is scanned.
2020-02-25 16:10
Fix

@fix Yes - for example SD2IEC.

I know of several IFFL loaders that support SD2IEC.
Not 2-bit fastload, but it supports it.

Also I know there is support for save too.
2020-02-25 16:13
Krill

Quoting Fix
How would they seek backwards within the IFFL file (via KERNAL calls, presumably)? Simply close it, open it again, then read and discard bytes until at the desired position?
2020-02-25 16:44
Fix

Quote: Quoting Fix
How would they seek backwards within the IFFL file (via KERNAL calls, presumably)? Simply close it, open it again, then read and discard bytes until at the desired position?

There is no seek command, we had another solution.
It's 2 years ago I touched that code.

If I remember right there is another command you can use with SD2IEC to solve that problem.
2020-02-25 16:56
Krill

Ah, there is a command to set the position within an open file.
Didn't know that. :)
The syntax to position within any regular file is as follows:

OPENlf,dv,15:PRINT#lf,"P"+CHR$(ch)+CHR$(lo)
[+CHR$(mlo)[+CHR$(mhi)[+CHR$(hi)]]]:CLOSElf
Where:

Variable	Description
lf		the logical file number for the command channel
dv		the current device number of the sd2iec
ch		the channel of an open file in which to move the position *
lo		the (0th) low byte of a 32–bit position
mlo		the (1st) mid–low byte of a 32-bit position (optional, defaults to 0)
mhi		the (2nd) mid–high byte of a 32-bit position (optional, defaults to 0)
hi		the (3rd) high byte of a 32-bit position (optional, defaults to 0)
That somewhat mitigates the compatibility argument.
2020-02-25 17:58
Burglar

Quote:
@burglar How do you do it if you don't scan?
Quote:
You scan to the required file on demand, building the track/sector/offset table piece-wise, which is what Burglar did (if i got him right).
heh, sadly no, that would be smart :)
nah, I took the quick&dirty route, I just cache scan result on track 18 sector 18. this allowed for a quick recover after saveing a game, I actually just "rescan".
in other mods of my iffl, I reserve first sector for highscore and use a safe 1bit irq friendly save routine. don't wanna hassle with BAM ;P
2020-02-25 21:01
MagerValp

Quoting Krill
fully-random file access in some hypothetical malicious game

That's really just your average rpg or adventure game :)
2020-02-26 00:48
Krill

Quoting MagerValp
Quoting Krill
fully-random file access in some hypothetical malicious game

That's really just your average rpg or adventure game :)
And here i was thinking that the average RPG/adventure game would be based on some kind of decision tree and also limit the amount of disk juggling by not going full random. :)
2020-02-26 07:26
sailor

Just like Krill mentions, there is support for SEEK in sd2iec. I use it in JaffyDOS V1.3 Kernal for SD2IEC for the mkd64/71/81 commands.

..and with that said, I did a quick'n'dirty convert of an old release into "sd2iec iffl" and it runs ok (no surprise).. well, it did not run on someone elses sd2iec but thats probably another discussion regarding firmware, hardware, dirty code, something.

A few considerations, you are stuck with kernal loading which depends on zeropages and vectors which you need to (re)store. IRQ will be lacking and having the loader up high in memory will be a problem. It will have its limitations.. and another loader to test with the game.

However, since you are in kernal you can choose to have the savefile handled inside IFFL or separate file by standard load/save calls... and then you need a savefile export/import to the native IFFL.. and.. and.....

Interesting discussion though :)

Edit: There was discussion about implementing native n0sd0s-iffl loadersupport into sd2iec when some strange pirate-game was released.. A few flavours of n0sd0s exists, so it'd need to emulate multiple drive-side code.. not sure if there is space for more loaders in sd2iec.
2020-02-26 08:10
Krill

Quoting sailor
IRQ will be lacking
Ah, with minor re-implementation of some KERNAL calls, you can play a standard SID tune glitchlessly during KERNAL load or save. =) The protocol on the bus is still the same. (Most likely not an option for cracks, of course.)
2020-02-26 09:11
Bacchus

@burglar We swap out scan tables to a sector on disk before saving on Herakles. So if the disk is write protected ours wouldn't run I guess. I assumed your version would be the same.

Also the general logic in normal IFFL (not ULoad - that's an exception) is that the drive holds the loader and scan tables. With the SD2IEC seek, you must port the scan table back to the computer.

I think the part where Krill gets it a bit wrong is that you rarely have any memory to play with. Squeezing in loader, depacker and the buffers they both need is normally quite a challenge. Adding a cache (scantable of just a cached scan result) is not really feasible.

/Bacchus
2020-02-26 09:57
Raistlin

Crack Competition 2020:-

Alternate Reality - The City

Just putting this out there... it might stop all the arguing ;-p
2020-02-26 09:59
Raistlin

And now I understand the Heracles references I keep reading ;-) ... interesting to see that the winner of the compo has never cracked anything since (maybe Bigfoot just likes the compos?).

C64 Cracking Competition 2015

Also nice to see MagerValp's loader in that winning entry :-)
2020-02-26 10:21
Bacchus

@rastlin

Bigfoots entry was super impressive. Taking all the texts and making a dictionary, replacing the words in the actual texts with references to the dictionary. This is literally a cross file sequence crunch, which proved super efficient.

And it's also interesting to see that the "inferior" SD2IEC support "SEEK".

/Bacchus
2020-02-26 11:33
Krill

Quoting Bacchus
With the SD2IEC seek, you must port the scan table back to the computer.
The loader would seek to fixed static offsets within the IFFL file, so what you would do is call the loader with 6-bit file index (non-SD2IEC case) and 18-bit seek position (SD2IEC case) in A, X, Y - hardcoded into the game.

Quoting Bacchus
I think the part where Krill gets it a bit wrong is that you rarely have any memory to play with. Squeezing in loader, depacker and the buffers they both need is normally quite a challenge. Adding a cache (scantable of just a cached scan result) is not really feasible.
A reasonably fast (IRQ optional) loader takes about $80 bytes after installation. ChristopherJam's tinycrunch (pack-ratio quite reasonable) adds another $80-ish bytes.
No extra buffers are required (depacking is fully in-place), so that's a page on the C-64 side.

On the drive-side, when throwing out things like directory parsing and buffering, interleave detection and out-of-order/speculative loading (but still keeping full on-the-fly block reading+GCR-decoding+checksumming, trackstep and transfer routines), my loader's current 1541 drive-code side leaves about $0300 bytes free to use.
That's 256 IFFL track/sector/offset entries (scanned on install).

How little space on the C-64 side or how many IFFL files are we talking about?
2020-02-26 13:10
Bacchus

There is never a fixed amount of memory available. Basically, the less memory you have available, the more functionality you must be ready sacrifice.

You want limieted use of zeropage, small files, reasonably fast loader, compatibility with a variety of drives, REU support, compatible save and so on. The more the merrier, but if all won't fit you start scaling down the requirements.

I have come to enjoy Cadaver + Exomizer 3. It's a super robust combination and all the times it failed on me, it was as *I* had done something wrong.

I can link files to so that they become subfiles (the first generation of IFFL), I can just turn off the fastloader flag and then all of kernal is available - including save. It's fast, it's compatible and the files on disk pack really well.

So all in all the benefits outperform any option I have seen. The only key drawback is that, for EVERY release, Hedning feel an unstoppable urge to ask why I don't do IFFL as I "have N0SD0S". :-P

/Bacchus
2020-02-26 13:21
Krill

Okay, so which part about available memory did i "get a bit wrong", then?
2020-02-26 13:44
Bacchus

Memory available for directory caching. It becomes relevant only after you have a number of pages of files, and by that time the memory needed just isn't available.

/Bacchus
2020-02-26 13:50
Krill

Quoting Bacchus
Memory available for directory caching. It becomes relevant only after you have a number of pages of files, and by that time the memory needed just isn't available.

/Bacchus
The directory is buffered in the drive, of course. Then a file entry takes:

- 2 bytes if loading by index
- 3 bytes if loading with a 1-char filename
- 4 bytes if loading with a full filename (stored as a 2-byte hash value).

So a directory buffer may take less memory than an IFFL T/S/O table, the same, or more, depending on what your requirements for the filenames are.

Edit: Oh, and it's still just a cache. There may always be more files on the disk than the cache can hold. Going to the dir track once in a while (but by far not for every loaded file) is okay, i guess.
2020-02-26 14:32
Frantic

Quote:
The only key drawback is that, for EVERY release, Hedning feel an unstoppable urge to ask why I don't do IFFL as I "have N0SD0S". :-P

I find this very funny in all sorts of ways. :D
2020-02-26 15:52
jcompton

Quote: Crack Competition 2020:-

Alternate Reality - The City

Just putting this out there... it might stop all the arguing ;-p

If I get a vote, I'm calling for Wasteland 101%.

Single volume. Integrate the paragraphs.
2020-02-26 17:33
hedning

Quote: Quote:
The only key drawback is that, for EVERY release, Hedning feel an unstoppable urge to ask why I don't do IFFL as I "have N0SD0S". :-P

I find this very funny in all sorts of ways. :D

Because Bacchus never answers I have to keep asking. :D He just rambles about how bad BBS’s are and so on.
2020-02-26 17:47
Bacchus

@hedning So now you can stop asking. I have said the same before and can repeat it but in my view IFFL is obsoleted - and BBS and first release only is a key part of the reason. I would use it in a competition, but if first is the only thing that counts - then really no.

Again;

And;
If not even your group is doing it, then you are in no position to ask it from someone else. (Supplying and have someone else do the cracking doesn't count).

/Bacchus

PS: And this BBS thing is just plain shit. Lame boring shit.
2020-02-26 19:56
hedning

Quote: @hedning So now you can stop asking. I have said the same before and can repeat it but in my view IFFL is obsoleted - and BBS and first release only is a key part of the reason. I would use it in a competition, but if first is the only thing that counts - then really no.

Again;

And;
If not even your group is doing it, then you are in no position to ask it from someone else. (Supplying and have someone else do the cracking doesn't count).

/Bacchus

PS: And this BBS thing is just plain shit. Lame boring shit.

Well. We would probably use it more if we had NosDos, but we do not, unfortunately. NosDos is really awesome, and I know that as we worked with Triad a few times, as you know. Pristine stuff, that would, in my opinion, have been sweet in this release we are discussing, but even better in the Tink cracks... I really mean it. :) It would have made so much sense.

And just like we love doing stuff on the obsolete C64, we in GP try to embrace the whole C64 scene, including the BBS scene. Why let them out? They are as much part of this scene as the demo scene and cracking scene.

I'll stop asking now. Thanks for your link. And hey, the release still have my 10! <3
2020-02-26 22:29
Fungus

Adding Exo 3 (or any other uncruncher) to n0sd0s is a trivial 5 minute job due to the modular approach we took.

If SD2IEC supports SEEK, the offset table can just be used directly with some math, and no scanning needs to occur at all, also simple to add and could add some kernel driver to n0sd0s for that easily enough, the handshake is not that complex, it would never work with IRQ without some modifications and it would only support things such as music and no rasters/sprites which isn't a real IRQ loader anyways.

As for dealing with BAM, neither do I want to mess with that, but there is surely also a solution.

If you want to make a challenge, maybe I take you up on it if I can keep from being bored of C64 long enough and crack this game which I don't even like... I think I'd rather work on games I do like tbh.

Also this blog post you keep making is opinion, and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
2020-02-26 23:56
Krill

Quoting Fungus
If SD2IEC supports SEEK, the offset table can just be used directly with some math
No math required at all, the offsets are just that, offsets into the IFFL file, which can be used directly.

Quoting Fungus
it would never work with IRQ without some modifications and it would only support things such as music and no rasters/sprites which isn't a real IRQ loader anyways.
True, it's not real IRQ loading, but sprites (and things like open borders or rasters) are possible with the original serial protocol (AND a slow device like a vanilla 1541 with original ROM on the bus), within certain limits (like masking the sprites and timing-critical code sections with interrupt handlers, which need to have quite a bit of slack of about $20 rasterlines).
Most of KERNAL's serial bus calls can be used as well, but you're well-advised to reimplement the EOI stuff and do some $dd00 polling at strategic places before SEI. =)
2020-02-27 10:31
cadaver

Since SD2IEC's ELOAD protocol already works so that you open the file normally, then initiate ELOAD with a fake M/W + M/E, after which you receive the file bytes via a 2bit timed transfer, it stands to reason it should allow also seeking before the ELOAD init. That way you could have as good sprite and IRQ support as in a usual 2bit fastloader.

In general I see IFFL as too much hassle still. You'd need one more special path for IDE64 if you want to support that too.
2020-02-27 11:08
Krill

Quoting cadaver
In general I see IFFL as too much hassle still. You'd need one more special path for IDE64 if you want to support that too.
Seems that IDE64 supports seek as well, and with the same command and syntax:
15.1.1 Position
Seeking is supported in both relative and regular files. 
[...]
Format:
"P"+CHR$(hchannel #i)+CHR$(hposition bits 0–7 #i)+
CHR$(hposition bits 8–15 #i)+CHR$(hposition bits 16–23 #i)+
CHR$(hposition bits 24–31 #i)
(There is no mention of the higher bytes defaulting to 0 if not specified, but one could simply send them along always to maintain compatibility with both IDE64 and SD2IEC.)
2020-02-27 12:30
Fungus

IDE64 is already supported in n0sd0s for more than a decade.

SD2IEC support has already been prototyped and works fine afaik. ;)

I don't see it as any more complex than any other loader. Krill's loader is way more complex imo to implement or understand the code with the ifdef hell it has. ;)

The tools to build the iffl are cmd line based and automated, it's no more difficult than copying files to a D64 with x1541. It's actually very easy and simple to implement, just pass a file number to load and if it's load or save.

I view this "too complex" thing as just nonsense tbh.

Also the thing with "scanning" taking some inordinate amount of time is also nonsense, the scanner takes less than 5 seconds for a 680 block file on a 1541, on CMD devices etc it's even faster. If it's slow, you're doing it wrong.
2020-02-27 12:39
Krill

Quoting Fungus
I don't see it as any more complex than any other loader. Krill's loader is way more complex imo to implement or understand the code with the ifdef hell it has. ;)
make prg INSTALL=1000 RESIDENT=0200 ZP=02
then you would link/incbin install-c64.prg and loader-c64.prg and JSR to the calls listed in loadersymbols-c64.inc. Pretty easy.

No need to "understand" the actual implementation (as in: the code) including all the conditional assembly, that's my job. :)
2020-02-27 13:52
Krill

Quoting Fungus
I view this "too complex" thing as just nonsense tbh.

Also the thing with "scanning" taking some inordinate amount of time is also nonsense, the scanner takes less than 5 seconds for a 680 block file on a 1541, on CMD devices etc it's even faster. If it's slow, you're doing it wrong.
Please quote anyone here saying IFFL was "too complex" or that scanning would take way too long. I believe the assertions were quite different.
2020-03-06 18:38
sailor

FWIW a sd2iec(and ide64) iffl release, Into Hinterland World +4

I did some tests, and since it will be of no use on my HD only, perhaps some SD2IEC users will be happy over it..

Proof of concept, but as mentioned before, no surprise it works, only downside is probably to revert to kernal calls and everything that comes with it. Native support would be better......
2020-03-06 22:39
Fix

Why not supporting all the other drives too?
1541, 1571 and 1581...

Like a .D64 on a SD2iec/IDE64 with IFFL support?
2020-03-07 04:03
Fungus

I think it was just more to prove that its possible to do without much effort, and also file saving outside the iffl. So kudos sailor.

I foresee sd2iec support being added to n0sd0s in the future when GRG is free to do so. However it will have the drawbacks of being slow as balls even with jiffy/jaffy and no real IRQ-loading/saving support. Native support would indeed be great.
2020-03-07 08:23
sailor

@fix. The loader was late to the party, we released the game with support for most of the drives (n0sd0s) some time ago.

This version uses the same iffl-file as the previous release, thus adding even more compatibility.

In a normal case, it'd be one release with all the loaders in one..
2020-03-07 08:57
Krill

Quoting Fungus
I foresee sd2iec support being added to n0sd0s in the future when GRG is free to do so. However it will have the drawbacks of being slow as balls even with jiffy/jaffy and no real IRQ-loading/saving support. Native support would indeed be great.
Why slow and no IRQ? SD2IEC's native ELOAD protocol provides both fast and interruptible transfers, as cadaver has pointed out, at least in the drive->computer direction.
2020-03-07 10:39
Fix

SD2IEC/IDE64 IFFL support has been around for over ~2 years with support for 15x1 drives + save inside IFFL.

You will get automatic support for IDE64 since it use same code as SD2IEC.

Saving outside IFFL is also quite easy if you have enough free memory.

The challenge is have support for 15x1 drives with save outside IFFL due to limited memory in drive and at the same time have that function with SD2IEC/IDE64.

@Sailor: Good work if you managed to add this at an party!!!
2020-03-07 15:06
Bacchus

My contribution to the discussion:

Alternate Reality - The City +11D

/Bacchus
2020-03-07 17:13
Fungus

Quote: SD2IEC/IDE64 IFFL support has been around for over ~2 years with support for 15x1 drives + save inside IFFL.

Saving outside IFFL is also quite easy if you have enough free memory.

The challenge is have support for 15x1 drives with save outside IFFL due to limited memory in drive and at the same time have that function with SD2IEC/IDE64.

@Sailor: Good work if you managed to add this at an party!!!

We've had IDE64 support for getting on 2 decades. Save outside IFFL has been a thing since I used Zagon's IFFL, this is not a challenge. As I said, sailor's work was just a proof of concept.
2020-03-07 17:14
Fungus

Quote: My contribution to the discussion:

Alternate Reality - The City +11D

/Bacchus

A buggy broken crack is your contribution? OK. Weird Flex.
2020-03-07 21:49
Bacchus

@fungus It's a fully working crack of a game that has some bugs. What's your problem?

/Bacchus
2020-03-07 22:00
Fungus

Fix the bugs, you know what they are? I mean no disrespect here, but you keep seeking validation on a crack that's half done.

The IFFL version with REU support is nice, appreciate the effort there.

Again, fix the bugs.
2020-03-07 22:25
Jazzcat

The release is counted, crack has not introduced anything negative. 101% version (and so on, 102% etc) can be considered if further "in-game" bugs are addressed (that were introduced by the game producer). Well done Fairlight.
2020-03-07 22:36
Bacchus

Thanks David - that's my opinion exactly.

Cracking the game itself was a six month effort. If the scene requirement would be that you needed to recode the original to the point that all and any potential in-game error in the original was also fixed then that is well beyond reasonable.

And a five vote for a fully working crack of one of the platforms most difficult games is meanly cheap.

If that was the requirement then I further understand that people merely link their intro to GitHub projects in process.

/Bacchus
2020-03-08 01:26
Burglar

Quote:
And a five vote for a fully working crack of one of the platforms most difficult games is meanly cheap.
better just ignore the trolls, mate :)

anyhow, nice job with the reu version and also nice job by sailor to improve nosdos with sd2iec iffl support.

still, I think sd2iec sucks ass, loadercoders have to jump through hoops to support it and even then, fast 2bitatn irq support is missing anyhow.
To me, all this emu hardware needs to support 1541 functionality at the bare minimum.
2020-03-08 01:52
Fungus

Fully working means bug free, and it's not 101% at all. I guess you are still stuck in old times. Remember and Nostalgia raised the bar, our releases speak for themselves. It's not 1988. It doesn't require recoding the game to achieve this.

You asked for feedback and you got some. I don't know why you can't accept it, what is the point. Whatever, I am done with this.
2020-03-08 03:50
Bacchus

Enjoy your bar. I enjoy other bars... You also seem to be the only one who think the common bar is where you say it is. IFFL for 10 blocks shorter and recoding of parts of the game. That's not the game I'm in.

In general its been said that it takes 100 crackers to crack a game. 1 to do it and 99 to say that they could do it better. Having lead the way it will be easier for others now that the mountain top was reachable but you are welcome to be #2. Heard you already started. See you in a few months...

/Bacchus
2020-04-21 19:37
sailor

Quoting Fix

SD2IEC/IDE64 IFFL support has been around for over ~2 years with support for 15x1 drives + save inside IFFL.

Sorry, No.
2020-04-21 19:46
chatGPZ

just accept already that IFFL is dead
2020-04-22 22:53
hedning

Quote: just accept already that IFFL is dead

I heard the scene is dead too.
2020-04-22 22:56
Smasher

Quote: I heard the scene is dead too.

as dead as James Brown
2020-04-22 23:06
chatGPZ

died about the same time too :)
2020-04-23 12:55
Adam

Quoting ZeSmasher
as dead as James Brown

lies. he's not dead at all
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Luca/FIRE
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Krill/Plush
csabanw
Andy/AEG
Black/Angels