Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #228399 : Big Droid
2023-01-19 19:48
RobertRamsay(PiXelburner)
Account closed

Release id #228399 : Big Droid

I wonder who decided to upload these images originally posted on my itch page... who created the RRFreelance handle I wonder? Come forth ye mysterious beast and confess ye actions or suffer in silence for I shall not make or post any more of my images so freely in future.

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-01-21 11:06
Account closed

I remember back in the day using a mirror to make my own face as an animated sprite on the C64, actually I used the action replay cart to edit one of the faces from a demoscene demo.. I forget the name of it.. Grafixmania or something. The results were hilarious and impressive, my sister thought I programmed the whole demo haha!
2023-01-21 11:08
Account closed

Quote: Hedning, if Robert doesn't want the images here, why re-add them against his will?

It's okay now. I'm exposed and rolling with the punches I guess! =D
2023-01-21 11:11
Account closed

Quote: First of all, thanks Robert for being open and honest about the creation of these images. There was never a question of you trying to hide anything, so kudos to you!

Here are my thoughts:

To have AI images and images found on the web as the base of your image (or indeed the whole image) does not belong in the same top ranking/category as those who do everything from scratch. And if an image is converted in one of the many art programs that's out there, then what's the point? An idiot can do that. It must be very frustrating for someone that spends 60-100 hours on an image to for instance be beaten in a graphics compo by someone that's been taking shortcuts. So yeah, for compos I think the art should be 100% original and I do hope parties and compos online request work stages for entries in the future.

But what if you want to do a portrait of a celebrity? Can’t you use a reference image? Some artists are better at composing an image compared to pixelling it from scratch. Are those guys not supposed to do C64 art? Of course they should, as long as sources are being provided.

I would love to hear what other active graphic artists think about all this. I'm sure there are many opinions and I'm sure we can keep the discussion civil.

On this note, should it be done by Joystick, Keyboard, Mouse or Tablet? Or is the input device the only thing that doesn't really matter here? In 1986 I never even heard of a mouse so... only used the Joystick or keyboard to make bitmaps. Saracen Paint was my tool of choice for some years.
2023-01-21 11:34
Morpheus

I say use modern art tools and whatever peripheral you prefer to pixel your image with. :)
2023-01-21 11:43
Account closed

Conclusion:

Main grounds (Traditional methods):
Pixel by pixel (using any input device) in any software that a creates C64 bitmap images (restricted or non-restricted).

Middle-ground (Modern Methods):
Conversions from your own base work, then refined for C64 use.
(for example a base sketch or scan, or your own 3D model work as a starting point).

Other means (No Method):
A.I generation, direct conversions, other shortcuts like ripping and editing existing stuff.
2023-01-21 12:30
Matt

C'est moi, guilty as charged.
Someone posted a link of your artwork on the Lemon64 forums.
I converted them to .prg and uploaded them here.
Voila, nothing more to it really.
2023-01-21 14:20
hedning

Quote: Hedning, if Robert doesn't want the images here, why re-add them against his will?

Because they were released, and stuff can't be unreleased (they are out there now, and downloaded more than 80 times before RR "deleted" them - they would be added later on anyways by that reason), and this is a database trying to be as complete it can be? C'mon.

If anything Matt should be the releaser, as he actually made the pics into executables and uploaded them here, not RR. :D
2023-01-22 05:26
chatGPZ

Quote:
If anything Matt should be the releaser, as he actually made the pics into executables

If that is the case, then indeed Matt is not only the releaser - but also the producer of the entire c64 release.
2023-01-22 11:56
TheRyk

... and thus, Matt is also the creator of the universe aka God!

scnr

thanks, Matt, anyway, without him most of us would have missed quite a bunch of very good pixel art
2023-01-22 18:40
4gentE

I totally understand Robert and his feelings about this all. The feeling of helplessness. On the other hand - what happened to you Robert is exactly what happens to someone out there each time you (or anyone else) use some abomination like Midjourney - you rip something somwhere, without the authors consent. You get the picture… On a side note - I came here not long ago in the first place because I detest code bloat, I detest consumerism, I detest capitalist centralized ‘free’ services and ‘social networks’, I detest NFTs and other things that burn our planet for no good reason. So, the idea of using big AI farms using megawatts of juice, using AI trained on images stolen from all of humanity without their consent for purpose of creation of pictures to be loaded on 40 year old home computer feels downright disturbing to me. Now we await ChatGPT written fx and demos. Yay. :(
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sir Garbaget../Acces..
la_mettrie
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Nuckhead/Backbone So..
MWR/Visdom
Kruthers