Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Khaos Sphere Marc Bell bitmap - feedback pls
2018-05-12 23:05
JayAldred
Account closed

Khaos Sphere Marc Bell bitmap - feedback pls

Hey guys, I thought I would post here to show results from working on the pic. Looking for feedback pls. I am not really an artist, but wanted to try a bitmap. Hopefully I can get one of the games artists to work on this if they have time before release.

https://i.imgur.com/ddePGKZ.png
2018-05-13 00:26
Compyx

As others have mentioned, it looks very wired (converted from an existing picture).

The dithering needs a lot of work to make it look 'proper', and the face seems tacked on somehow.

Background looks really nice though with the interleaved colors instead of dithering.
2018-05-13 00:41
JayAldred
Account closed

Aye, I'm struggling with it, trying to get a uniform feel, the scanned face is kind of awkward. I have hand shaded all of the outfit, but tried to make it work with the face. This may well be a bit too ambitious for me!
2018-05-13 03:03
Deev

The reason the face looks dropped on is because it has less contrast and a different light source.

The light source on the face is coming from the front/left. On the suit, your light source is actually a little inconsistent.

As the face is the hardest bit to get right, you might want to stick with the face you have, then re-do the suit around it. Don't do any detail initially though, just sketch it out in chunks of colour, thinking about where the light is coming from the whole time. Even with a rough version, if you get the lighting right, the face and the suit will start fit together.
2018-05-13 12:31
Hend
Account closed

I have a suggestion.

Replace all the black on the armour with dark grey and then use black to put the shadows back in properly. That would get rid of all the black outlines (At the moment the face looks like a photo stuck on a cartoon). This would also allow you to make the light source consistent. Don't give up, come back to it with fresh eyes :)
2018-05-13 21:04
Digger

What's your wiring tools Jay?
2018-05-15 01:42
JayAldred
Account closed

Cheers guys, some solid advice here. Art class 101, thanks for the suggestions, roughing out the colours/lighting sounds like a great idea, I will give it a go! Tools used - composite created in Photoshop, exported as 320x200 PNG then imported to pixen.

Ok, had a quick play with it, removing some of the black outline, darkened (our view) right arm, light from shoulder, rifle etc..

Better or worse?

https://i.imgur.com/xXh4dUL.png
2018-05-15 08:51
Deev

The darker right shoulder is a step forward, as is the reduction in black outlines. I prefer the darker gun as well. You've added some black outlines with the face gadgets though! These would be affected by the same light source that's shining on the face. I like the lighter section in the background (top left), but is it supposed to be lit from the thing on his shoulder? I'd just keep it in the background. If it was lit from his shoulder, that's not really how it would look, and you've also introduced another light source that would be partially lighting your character! You need to continue to try and make the lighting consistent.

Like I say, I think it's easier to get all this right before adding detail.

I respect your attempt to make something original though (even if it was wired at the start :) ). It demonstrates why it's far more difficult to create an original composition. The people who pixel another person's artwork to the c64's colour/resolution have it so easy because they're not worrying about any of this.
2018-05-15 09:12
ChristopherJam

Definite improvement.

The suit and weapon look more menacing in the darker colours, too.
2018-05-15 18:34
JayAldred
Account closed

Cheers again, the face gadgets get pretty muddy without any kind of black outline, I am trying with the lighting - I dont really have any art background, so I am winging it really. I will keep trying a little each day and do some research into lighting.

Not sure about the shoulder light either, trying to do it a 'cheap way' but as you say its not really how it would look.

Anyways, here is a little gif showing original source and really shitty, earlier efforts!

https://i.imgur.com/KoGEwUd.gif

Static version of current image only.

https://i.imgur.com/RZE214z.png

New backdrop with lights changed.

https://i.imgur.com/KBL4MWA.png
2018-05-16 00:42
Deev

I've been winging it for years (or maybe my stuff is just lit badly :) ).

It's definitely got a lot better as you've worked on it. I think you have the right idea with just trying to tweak it over time.

It's better than a lot of game bitmaps from back in the day!

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
Airwolf/F4CG
YTM/Elysium
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
Guests online: 58