Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Why people listen to "classic" SIDs more ?
2023-02-19 21:08
Oswald

Why people listen to "classic" SIDs more ?

Vincenzo wrote:

Looks like there's no active musicians on the C64 since the early 2000's :) No offense, everyone has a different taste for music and can make a selection based on personal preference.

I don't expect answers and I don't want to start a war obviously, I'm just saying there's so much more in the "newest era" (which is already 20 years since 2000') of SID music than the old classics. Aren't you guys bored to listen to the same tunes over and over?

To be fair, this is a nice and diverse selection of tracks, I just wouldn't prefer a couple of them in my own playlist because of the above mentioned reason.

... 31 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-02-23 17:24
chatGPZ

How is SID music not real? :)
2023-02-24 13:00
Mr. SID

Quote: How is SID music not real? :)

It's not on Spotify or on the radio? *shrug*
2023-02-24 14:11
mankeli

I think it's just that you rummage around the HVSC and play songs there that you know. It's some kind of bias that if you just look for some background music, you are more likely to click the ones you know.

I was actually annoyed by this at some point, and wrote this (LXSid) for myself.
Now I can just click the "random" button until I have something that sounds interesting. Already collected quite a list of good tunes that I didn't even know existed before.

Been planning to write a browser version of this, with some kind of light user profiles. The dream is that the ratings ("quality" and "sadness", 2-D scale) could be correlated with other people's profiles, to find even more interesting SIDs. Because the HVSC is vast!
2023-03-29 14:19
Lord Crucifier

Discoverability is a problem. I just don't (want to) go through loose SID releases on CSDB, listening to them, skipping to the next...

That's why I like "podcasts" like Immortal C64 (http://www.akumadesigns.com/ic64/), and before that 8 Bit Mayhem (http://8bitmayhem.untergrund.net/). They string together an hour of SIDs, no talking. Makes for great background music while coding, and after a few listens I usually download the ones I really like for my own Greatest SIDs List™.

I wish there was more of that. "Best of this month's SID releases".

Checking out those Wacek compilations now!
2023-03-30 21:12
Viralbox

I mostly listen to old SID tunes that I find while browsing on DeepSID, and I found a lot of SID tunes that I really like and are by underrated artists. To name a few: Imaic, Scan, Anvil. I also really like Hein Holt's old tunes that are in MoN and 20CC's players. Also SMC's. :) So for me it's just my taste.
2023-04-12 15:49
Lord Crucifier

Stuff like lft's latest project Machine Yearning, is stuff I could listen to all day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74d_Ter3HcU

It hits that spot of SID bleeps (both SIDs even), technical challenges, and pleasantness to the ears. I dig it.
2023-04-14 05:07
Bansai

Quote: Stuff like lft's latest project Machine Yearning, is stuff I could listen to all day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74d_Ter3HcU

It hits that spot of SID bleeps (both SIDs even), technical challenges, and pleasantness to the ears. I dig it.

Dual SID is fun to play with for messing with old tunes. Some examples here as I won't have anything to release for a while:

https://gtkwave.sourceforge.net/stereoify.zip

Cave of Thoughts: disassembled FAME player, invert pulse width on right channel.
Thalion: disassembled variant FAME player from the Beyond tune, invert pulse width on right channel.
ZigZag: disassembled variant Crowther v3 player, invert pulse width on right channel.
Scumball: disassembled Ruddy (Tim Follin) player, invert pulse width on right channel, also delay right channel by two frames for echo effect.

At some point I'll release source for all the players I've been disassembling and commenting. If there's not an editor for FAME, I might work on one as I like that driver's capabilities a lot. Ruddy's player is quite interesting, too, in how it can escape to writing SID registers directly from note mode with single frame/invocation accuracy.
2023-04-14 18:07
TheRyk

Well-known-fact: Apart from oldskewl $d418-digis/samples/synth/younameit a 8580-SID-Chip hardly makes a total mess out of a tune made for 6581. Vice versa is a totally different story, especially when filters were used in a modern tune made for 8580, chances are, it will perform poorly on 6581 (muffled/muted voices or just noise), though there are ways to tweak a little on filter reg settings of the .SID file to minimize the damage. That's why old stuff (=6581) is almost always enjoyable on Stereo-Double-Mono-Mixed-6581/8580, whereas some (! not all, but a significant amount of) 8580 might cause ear-pain...

Not sure whether this really prevents anyone from listening to new stuff as well, though (which was the complaint(?)/thesis quoted in the starting post.)
2023-04-15 02:36
Bansai

Quote: Well-known-fact: Apart from oldskewl $d418-digis/samples/synth/younameit a 8580-SID-Chip hardly makes a total mess out of a tune made for 6581. Vice versa is a totally different story, especially when filters were used in a modern tune made for 8580, chances are, it will perform poorly on 6581 (muffled/muted voices or just noise), though there are ways to tweak a little on filter reg settings of the .SID file to minimize the damage. That's why old stuff (=6581) is almost always enjoyable on Stereo-Double-Mono-Mixed-6581/8580, whereas some (! not all, but a significant amount of) 8580 might cause ear-pain...

Not sure whether this really prevents anyone from listening to new stuff as well, though (which was the complaint(?)/thesis quoted in the starting post.)

As far as tweaking filter settings goes, I suppose I could look at the reSID source, but has anyone made filter frequency mapping tables that can make 6581 sound more 8580-like and vice-versa? I realize 6581 is a far noisier chip and every chip is different so this would be a gross approximation.

Most every player write I've seen to $D4XX regs are three byte instructions, so writes to $D415/6 could conceivable be jumper cabled in with a fixup jsr and intercepted so they could be remapped to give them a bit more of the other chip's filter characteristics.
2023-04-15 10:31
TheRyk

Quote:

has anyone made filter frequency mapping tables that can make 6581 sound more 8580-like and vice-versa?

Been there, tried that, never ended up with anything that would at least work in one direction for more than one tune (without the vice-versa). In the end I always ended up doing stuff manually and individually for each tune. The few coders I talked to about that said they made pretty much the same experience.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
encore
kbs/Pht/Lxt
thesuperfrog
iAN CooG/HVSC
iceout/Avatar/HF