Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Comment editing disabled
2013-12-13 22:23
Didi

Comment editing disabled

What's the reason for disabling this, please?

... 141 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-12-19 10:19
Oswald

Quote: Quoting The Shadow
A way to both disable comment editing and to compromise is to give a time limit on comment editing. For instance to allow comments to be edited only during a one hour period after posting.

I agree, as i wrote about (necessary) comment editing.
It MUST be a possibility to edit the very last comment at least or within a short time after posting.

indeed,

Right away I've managed to leave ugly typos & couldnt refine some of my thoughts because of the new policy...
2013-12-19 11:08
Conrad

Also recently (which I did many times before as well) made a comment on a release that resembles a repeated explanation someone else posted in "Trivia" or "Production Notes" YEARS beforehand.

So now I can't get rid of that ignorance due to the disabled "delete" button? Wonderful...
2013-12-19 13:04
Oswald

and while we're at it, why not hide the button instead of teasing the user ? so we're having two buttons that only tells us they're not working? :) (edit/delete)
2013-12-19 14:07
Fred

Please enable edit/delete option. It is very annoying that you can't edit your comments now. Also delete is useful in certain cases.

How many times did CSDb had to restore comments in the past because some troll deleted everything?

If you want to make deleting comments harder, just ask confirmation via e-mail.

Also, comments should not be deleted in the database but just be hidden when deleted. Same counts for updating. That makes it much easier to restore them if necessary. Perhaps this is already the case, I've no idea.

And since we all are responsible for the content of the site, perhaps an idea to add a "report abuse" button to every page to notify the administrators?

It would also help if people are blocked sooner when they spam all kind of threads and post useless comments.

So again, please enable the options and you make a lot of people happy again!
2013-12-19 21:36
chatGPZ

Quote:

how much time per day are you planning on dealing with those emails?

i can only repeat: the answer to whatever solution which does NOT reduce the amount/time of maintainance required is: no

Quote:
It would also help if people are blocked sooner when they spam all kind of threads and post useless comments.

are you willing to take the shit when it happens? if the answer is yes i am passing the moderator hat NOW
2013-12-19 21:48
Count Zero

Yawn ... the more interesting question in this context is anyhow: why is the edit-button rendered and a text message behind it?

Would be much more fun to have the edit-button on _ALL_ posts, let people edit stuff and reply "You are not the nazi mod we would like you to be" on submit.

Sceneshite is about fun after all...
2013-12-20 09:46
Fred

Quote: Quote:

how much time per day are you planning on dealing with those emails?

i can only repeat: the answer to whatever solution which does NOT reduce the amount/time of maintainance required is: no

Quote:

are you willing to take the shit when it happens? if the answer is yes i am passing the moderator hat NOW

Groepaz, you've understand me wrong. The e-mail confirmation should go to the user and not to the administrator for confirmation. So the user should do multiple steps to delete his comment. In this case you can't do a bulk deletion easily.

I've respect for the amount of work all administrators and all other users are putting in CSDb but should we make CSDb more user unfriendly to reduce the amount of time of maintenance? The success of a site is also about how easy and fast you can put in and change information. You should not limit that. I think comments are important and I don't like that comments have errors or that are incorrect. Having a comment stating that the previous comment is wrong I really don't like.
At least make editing/deleting of comments available again for trusted users.
2013-12-20 10:30
jailbird

- Double-check your comment/review and count to ten before submitting. For avoiding spelling errors, use an English spell checker (every modern browser has it).
- Use the Production Notes area (NOT the User Comment section) for production notes, and complement them with a follow up note if there are changes/updates/whatever.

That's it.

Alternatively, allow editing the same way as it's on the forum (last post).

The forum never had an option for editing/deleting old posts, and it never really bothered anyone.
2013-12-20 10:49
Romppainen
Account closed

Quoting The Shadow
A way to both disable comment editing and to compromise is to give a time limit on comment editing. For instance to allow comments to be edited only during a one hour period after posting.

+1
2013-12-20 11:20
algorithm

Is that not what the preview button is for (To check that everything is ok before posting?)

Then its just a case of responding back in the thread if an error has been made.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bOOZElEE
ilesj/Artline Designs
kbs/Pht/Lxt
cobbpg
wil
FABS/HF