Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Comment editing disabled
2013-12-13 22:23
Didi

Comment editing disabled

What's the reason for disabling this, please?

... 141 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-12-15 21:34
jailbird

Disabling commenting more than once on the product page will lead to people trashing the forum every single time when they'll feel obligated to react on someone's criticism/remark. Doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

The product page itself is quite badly designed from the UI/UX perspective. What it would actually need is a bit of rearranging.

What could be solved fast to avoid visual cluttering: show only the last few comments, with a link to view all of them - just like with the posts on the forum.

To deal with spam and shitty/unrelated comments: let the users rate comments +/-, and hide those below the threshold (let's say -5), with an option to unhide them. Too many negative votes (let's say -10) would lead to permanent deletion of the comment (with the superwising of the admins).

But it's probably too much work anyway.
2013-12-15 21:40
chatGPZ

we really dont need to make it another reddit clusterfuck, do we?
2013-12-15 22:43
Oswald

I really envy the guys whose biggest problem is shitty comments on csdb product pages, I mean cmon, they are part of life. I would hate to browse around in an anti-utopy csdb where all comments are nice and non shitty, non spammy. urgh.
2013-12-15 22:43
robozz

Quoting Moloch
I know a few have discussed this before and I've always wondered why is there both comments and forum threads. Delete the ability to post comments on the entries. Move all discussion to one place - the forums.
Not such a good idea. That would mean that after clicking on a entry, you'd have to click again to read the comments?
2013-12-15 23:01
Cruzer

I generally don't like the idea of disabling features to avoid abuse. The ultimate consequence of this would be to disable CSDB all together. Then there would be NO problems left.
2013-12-15 23:13
bepp

Rate comments? Seriously? That's a dangerous weapon in the hands of a^HtheWizard ;)
2013-12-15 23:20
chatGPZ

Quote:
I generally don't like the idea of disabling features to avoid abuse.

the problem is that no other alternative exists that is realistically doable without needing more moderator resources - which we do not have.
Quote:
Rate comments? Seriously? That's a dangerous weapon in the hands of a^HtheWizard ;)

in the context of csdb that idea feels very stupid indeed. people cant behave with the regular voting (which apparently they even find very important) - why would they behave with rating each other comments?
2013-12-16 01:57
jailbird

Yay, here comes the usual Groepaz doesn't likes it = fuck you, you're stupid.

What usually misses Groepaz, is that the voting system on CSDb works way more than fine. The problem isn't in its technical side but the anonymous aspect of it, which obviously has a negative effect on a lot of people here. The malevolent behavior you mention Groepaz, is also a product of this very detail.

But even beside the anonymity, okay/good releases have varying votes, and they always hold above the threshold. Whilst very low votes are always linked to shitty/spammy releases. Show me one single solid release where there are more than five obviously ill-considered low marks and no other votes, so it has an overall very bad, undeserved score. One such release, and I'll excuse myself immediately.

This kind of a comment system was already tested and works quite fine on zillions of sites around the internet, low and high scales as well. Not that it will be ever implemented here, so whatever.

The only reason why I initially brought up disabling/deleting comments was that I often run into discussions on product pages where a trigger happy person deleted their old comments or edited non-related gibberish into them, so dialogues got unintelligible. Not that it was such a big deal anyway, just a tad annoying.

So do the fuck you want, I'm outta this thread.
2013-12-16 02:04
chatGPZ

Quote:
the voting system on CSDb works way more than fine.

coffee. everywhere /o\
2013-12-16 06:13
Jammer

I opt either for only one editable comment per entry or +1/-1 for comments (disabled visibility after appropriate amount of negatives). Cannot see a better solution.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
deetsay
Comos/Ang/[o]/n0s
Mason/Unicess
Malmix/Fatzone
serato/Finnish Gold
Paladin/G★P