Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Werner ! (Registered 2024-05-30) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Make deleting screenshots impossible
2021-12-20 08:33
Fred

Make deleting screenshots impossible

I noticed that once in a while screenshots are deleted from entries by a moderator without replacing them. I think this is bad.

It's bad because:

- It's not clear why it is deleted. Seems like the moderator might think the colors are bad, the size is wrong or whatever the reason is

- You see for some entries that the uploader is trying to upload the screenshot again and again and the moderator is deleting it again and again without communication. We should motivate people to help improving CSDb and not annoying them.

- Having no screenshot is worse than having a not-so-good screenshot

Please make it impossible to delete screenshots on CSDb. Only allow replacing screenshots.
With this the moderator can inform the user to replace it and tell what is wrong with the current screenshot or replace it himself.
2021-12-20 08:42
spider-j

What Fred said.

I uploaded the Transmission64 screenshot to my release there and it was deleted again and again – first I thought it was some kind of error, so I uploaded again and again.

Didn't even notice that the screenshots the Transmission64 crew took were not in a "proper" CSDb format (I guess taken from real machine). I don't see much difference to the one that wasn't deleted anymore.

Eventually I realized what could be wrong. But was also a bit confused why the one deleting it not bothered to leave a message or take the time to make a screenshot themselves.
2021-12-20 11:55
TheRyk

Quoting Fred

- Having no screenshot is worse than having a not-so-good screenshot

That used to be my view, too.
Mods position is different, however.
And even I changed my mind.
Quoting spider-j
I don't see much difference to the one that wasn't deleted anymore.

Every pixel counts :) And yeah, using the ones from party Voting Engines ain't a good idea.

Mods only deleting but not replacing and not even informing users is due to educational reasons. Mods are not the cleaning ladies of the community.

If you notice a release's screenshot has removed by a mod, it includes the message: "You did sth wrong and have to redo it again properly."

Seriously, use a current VICE (in a perfect world with pepto pallette) and follow
How to make a proper CSDB screenshot in VICE?
If a screenshot disappears, it probably failed to match 384x272 in normal border mode (or - less frequent lately IINM - used terribly oversaturated ZX Spectrum neon or totally self-invented color palette). If this is too hard to do for anyone, they should think of retiring from CSDb or ask a friend with an account for help.
2021-12-20 12:55
Krill

Quoting TheRyk
Mods only deleting but not replacing and not even informing users is due to educational reasons.
[...]
If you notice a release's screenshot has removed by a mod, it includes the message: "You did sth wrong and have to redo it again properly."
This seems a bit contradictory.

A cycle of notification-less deletion and re-submission seems unnecessary and doesn't educate anyone until the user may or may not eventually notice their error.
2021-12-20 13:29
Jammer

What Krill said...
2021-12-20 14:14
chatGPZ

requiring the mod to give a reason for basically anything sounds like a sane thing indeed....

...until you are in the position of the mod.
2021-12-20 18:07
TheRyk

gpz: nails it!
2021-12-20 19:22
Fred

If you don't bother giving a reason for deleting it then better do nothing. Just don't delete valuable content.

If you care about the screenshot (as TheRyk said: every pixel counts), then care about fixing it.

We all should help making release entries better but let's not delete things without replacing them because nobody is notified about it. I hope you get the point.
2021-12-20 19:46
chatGPZ

Just add a standard message that always says "screenshot does not match the rules <link here>". Problem solved.
2021-12-20 21:18
Moloch

In the past notifications were sent ... and lots of times guess what? The same screenshot would be uploaded again.

No, deleting the screenshot will continue. What is needed for a screenshot is clearly shown on the upload page and if you can't follow that -> time to stop adding entries.
2021-12-20 22:12
Copyfault

Deleting a screendump and "hoping for the best" does not sound *that* clever, no matter how "harsh" you want it to work, sorry!

So, I tend to...
Quoting Groepaz
Just add a standard message that always says "screenshot does not match the rules <link here>". Problem solved.
...praise this proposal from Groepaz. Just let some logic send an automated message as this is (in most cases) the little *ping* the uploader of the incorrect screendump needs.

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
trident
Avalanche/Atlantis
WVL/Xenon
Aomeba/Artline Desig..
Acidchild/Padua