Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Adding screenshots not part of stats?
2021-12-23 21:57
Mace

Adding screenshots not part of stats?

It came to my attention, after adding a shitload of screenshots, that this doesn't count as submitting.
Why's that?
What *is* part of the stats when it comes to submitting?
2021-12-24 00:27
Count Zero

Which stats are you looking at exactly? submitters, uploaders?

Dont expect an answer too soon as that info is in the code and likely Perff is as unmotivated as me to phrase some sql into words.
2021-12-24 13:31
Mace

I was looking at submitters and I wasn't expecting Perff to answer this year ;-)
2021-12-24 14:45
chatGPZ

*afaik* "submitting" equals "creating an entry" in this context
2021-12-24 21:21
Mace

Then how does this differ from uploading?
2021-12-26 20:31
TheRyk

legit question (what's difference to uploading if mere edits ain't counted) which I asked myself a couple of times when browsing https://csdb.dk/stats/stat.php for pure boredom

never could figure it out but also never found it interesting enough to ask anyone

As CZ sez, Perff might remember or take peek
2021-12-26 20:49
hedning

Adding screenshots should be mandatory when creating an entry anyway. At least in the best of worlds.
2021-12-26 22:35
bugjam

For submissions, creating an entry for sceners, groups etc couns as well. On the other hand, you might upload a release to an already existing entry without /with broken download.
2023-03-02 10:17
Visage

For pleasuring everybody here on CSDB, here’s my view on this topic. :)

First the story, briefly: on our latest release, the entry was unlocked and the screenshot disappeared without any notification or warning. Three times we tried to replace it, then we couldn't because now we are locked out.
Rest In Peace HIC

As I realised now, this is a fairly common approach here on CSDB: admins/moderators silently deleting screenshots what they believe that are “not correct”.

It took a while (and some brainstorming with LTH guys) until I started to understand the reason of deletion. Most probably because I made the screenshots in VICE full border mode. Curse on me, I know.

Since I am usually coding some stuff, the only acceptable view is the full border mode in VICE - simply because this view represents ALL pixels that C64 can send out as a video signal. The normal mode crops this to a “theoretical” size which is “similar” to what a CRT could display… in the last century…

I tried to look up the referring site rules, and found two references:

General rules contains: https://csdb.dk/help.php?section=rules
6. You are encouraged to upload a screenshot aswell. Screenshots should be pixel exact without filters (in Vice use the built in ALT+C command). After adding it, check again if you didnt forget to upload the file. Entries with screenshots but no file make poor kitten cry. :(

During the screenshot upload process, there are the additional rules:

There are a few simple rules to follow when uploading release screenshots to CSDb:
1 The image must be in GIF or PNG format.
2 The image size should be 384x272 including the border. (No scaling, or filters like CRT-emulation, please))
3 The filesize must be max 512000 bytes.

Maybe my English skill are not perfect, but “The image size should be 384x272 including the border.” does not mean that the screenshot MUST BE EXACTLY this size. So in my opinion, the full border view VICE screenshots (408 × 293) with the default palette and without any filters, are still matching these rules, as of today. Please, point me to the reference doc, if I’m wrong.

Here are some takeaways for the admins/moderators:

- Read the rules on the Rules page and try to MATCH your actions against your own rules,
- If these rules are outdated then UPDATE them, so all the lamers (like me) can understand them correctly,
- In case you are deleting an “incorrect” screenshot (or make any modification on the entry) for the first time for some newbie (like me), drop a single message WHY you delete it (I promise I can learn it),
- In case of strict rules (like the screenshot), you may consider implementing a VALIDATION on the site, so the user can be warned during the upload process,
- In cases when you receive a personal email or a direct message from the users (like me), ANSWER it.
- Lastly, please NEVER LOCK away the entries from the the team who created and uploaded that production to your site.

No offence, the aboves represent my personal opinion with the intention of improving the moderation process here on CSDB.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Sande/Hokuto Force
Matt
Guests online: 66
Top Demos