Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Coinoperator ! (Registered 2024-06-17) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo wars?
2003-01-21 21:46
Dr. Jay
Account closed

Demo wars?

I'm interested if anyone has ever "sequenced" demos that are responses to each other, so that others can view them in order and appreciate the challenge of "one-upping" each other. A few examples I can think of:

1. The vertical raster bars - Demonus Interruptus, which refers to a few demos prior, and followed by Interruptus Retriggerus.

2. The shadow casting. In the Plush +h2k demo there is a scene with H2k having a sun and a moon casting interleaved shadows. I just saw a demo the other day (forgot the name) that had the same with just a sun ... obviously the Plush was a "one-up" for that routine.

It would be interesting to line up such demos and watch the evolution over time.

Also, has anyone done/attempted a timeline of when breakthrough effects starting appearing? i.e. first raster routine, first FLD, first FLI, first sprite stretch (I stumbled on this in '88 purely by accident but was a horrible coder and couldn't duplicate it -- I knew the switching on the x-size but was lost on the need to preserve the bad line -- curious when this was "invented" by someone who knew what they were doing), etc.

Look forward to the replies!

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-02-11 10:07
chatGPZ

The Mr.Cursor demo was "Babylon III" ... however, i _think_ he did it before in another (rather ugly/unpolished) demo aswell.... mmmmh

i dont think he was first though.... he probably was the first to _understand_ this effect, but thats another story :o)
2003-02-11 12:17
Graham
Account closed

@groepaz: afaik "babylon 3" only had a simple 4 color logo scroller over rasterbars, no VSP... "double density" had vsp.
2003-07-30 08:48
Goblin

Well, first realtime filled vector was in Brutal III/Light

:)
2003-07-30 09:02
TDJ

Quote: Well, first realtime filled vector was in Brutal III/Light

:)

I remember seeing that one: only some filled cubes, no music, bugging like hell ..
2003-07-30 15:23
Cruzer

Just discovered this thread. Here's some follow ups to some of the different posts above...

The group that Bones were addressing with the multiplexer record in The Larch 3 was Upfront. I think these two groups had quite a rivalry on a number of different routines.

Light was first with filled vector on the c64, but Mitch/Visual Reality was first to port the Amiga's blitter-based flood filling technique to the c64 (Visuality, summer 1992.) This lead to quite a quantum leap in improvement of the speed.

I think the first all-border scroll was from Happy New Year/Starion (released for new year 1987/88.)

Upper/lower border sprites were first made by Sodan in 1985, for the intro to his game "Crackers Revenge", according to himself on his website http://www.sodan.dk atleast. He also claims to have made the first megademo (a demo with more than one part I think that means) together with Magician42. This was the Amiga demo Tech Tech from 1987, where the tech tech effect also was invented.

Hey, someone should make a site dedicated to the origins of different routines, aswell as records. Would be quite inspiring for coders I think.
2003-07-30 15:46
trident

> Hey, someone should make a site dedicated to the origins of
> different routines, aswell as records. Would be quite
> inspiring for coders I think.

Agreed! Screenshots and short descriptions of how the routines work would be cool to have too.

I guess a Wiki would be a good way to implement this kind of site. A Wiki basically is a web site where each page can be edited by anyone and since the changes are viewable by anyone, it is easy to keep an eye out for crap being entered. Wikis have been found to work for other kind of information, such as the Wikipedia: http://www.wikipedia.org/

Perhaps something like that could be set up here at the CSDb?
2003-07-30 20:36
Cruzer

> Perhaps something like that could be set up here at
> the CSDb?

That would be a good idea, so all info about the demos are gathered at one place. Hope someone from the staff reads this.

Btw, I almost forgot the "zoomer war" of the early 90's. It all started with the quite slow text zoomer in the intro for The Larch 3/Bones, released at the Trilogy/Upfront/Dominators Xmas Party 1989 in Randers/Denmark. Next year at the Dexion Xmas Party 1990 in Odense/Denmark, Upfront and Light had some improved zoomers in their competing demos. Upfront's were the biggest (fullscreen w/o borders, like Bones' version) and Light's were not as high, but in sideborders.

So this ofcourse lead to some disputes about which one were kewlest, and Upfront added to the confuzion by not releasing their demo (a bad habit they had started a year earlier with "Too Drunk To Fuck") so since some ppl had a hard time remembering this effect from the compo, there even started circulating rumours that it was in sideborders or even all borders.

In the spring 1991 Slammer made a zoomer the size of Upfronts, but this time in sideborders, for his demo Stroke One/Demotion.

At the same time Glasnost, who was the coder behind Light's zoomer, had now started his new group Camelot and was working on an all-border zoomer for "The Unnamed Demo". He told about this to Ricky/Bonzai who promised to keep his mouth shut and not steal the idea, but he did, and released an all-border zoomer which could only zoom one letter at a time.

When The Unnamed Demo/Camelot came out in the summer 1991, Glasnost was pretty pissed at Ricky, which made him bash him quite a bit in the note for the demo. Anyway, Glasnost's zoomer was much kewler (16 letters at a time) so the war had a happy ending with Camelot as winners. :)
2003-07-30 21:18
CreaMD

Unreleased? Seems like someone should start something like Games That weren't -> "Demos that weren't" project ;-)
2003-07-31 02:43
Stryyker

Maybe add Met Crest first? It wouldn't take much to look through old diskmags for announced demos that never happened.
2003-07-31 06:49
CreaMD

It's different ... Demos shown and unreleased and demos announced and forgotten.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
megasoftargentina
Acidchild/Padua
ccr/TNSP
The Human Co../Maste..
Smasher/F4CG
TheEnemy/TREX/THD