Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is a "crack"?
2012-03-03 17:18
Didi

What is a "crack"?

In the release On the Farm III +8FD there started a discussion about what is a "crack". In CSDb rules a crack is defined as an unauthorized modification. In other scenes this would be called a "hack" or a "mod".

I hardly remember any games since 1994 which really needed to remove a protection, so most "crackers" started to use different clauses to declare their work, e.g. "raped" or something like this. But there also should be made a difference between linking an intro or training a game and other improvements like highscore-savers, bugfixes, improved packing and loading routines, etc. Crack might not be the correct name for it but what else to call it?

... 42 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-03-07 17:36
TheRyk

@Graham: In one of the other 700 or so discussions on the same issue, some even claimed, tape files with auto-run were protected, which made them assume, pure freezin' and saving the RAM from $0800 to $FFFF was already removing a copy protection and, hence, cracking...

@Achim: We just ain't livin' in the 80s anymore - though most of us wish we were. Back then, cracking was in the first place removing protections. If there was always much "merit" for that, is a different story, since almost everyone with a suitable cartridge and some minimum knowledge could reset-crack a onefiler, but only few could really crack some multi-disk games.
2012-03-07 21:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
We just ain't livin' in the 80s anymore - though most of us wish we were. Back then, cracking was in the first place removing protections.

back in 1984, the bulk of "cracking" involved typing "load" and then "save" :)
2012-03-08 02:09
TWW

Imagine a dog with it's snoute up another dog's ass. Then imagine some other dogs standing near by watching and one of them say:

"Poor lad... Hooked on crack..."
2012-03-08 11:33
Skate

Quote: Hey Skate, I'm afraid you missed something. The category 'crack' will never be changed, because it's part of the c64 tradition. That of course makes the c64 scene a die-hard scene, but that's the way it is.

Also you are missing a point. I'm not the authority here. I'm the one who is "asking" to elite crackers about this protection subject which Didi brought forward.

As far as I understand, Didi suggests not to call crack some of the new so called cracked games because they are not really cracked since they don't have any protection. So, i asked about the old games. Are they all really protected? Noone is trying to change the crack category. But if we're going to call some of the new cracks something else, we should change some of the old cracks' product category as well. Here is my point. I'm not the one who is able to identify if a crack is really deserved to be called a crack etc. I'm just corious on this subject.
2012-03-08 15:55
Rough
Account closed

@TheRyk: Actually I do not only claim auto-start on tape is a copy protection, it definately is. Kept people from entering SAVE"NAME",8,1 after loading. Additionally disabling [Run/Stop]+[Restore] helps even more.
Also when defining cracking as the removement of a copy protection then freezing IS cracking. In a lame and dirty manner without the need of skills, but definately the frozen (or freezed if you take it as proper verb) files were copy.- and playable.

Quote:
i know exactly what was considered "fake group" back in the days.

@Groepaz: When you know, why do you ask? It figures! Brainbombs were unlike TWG never intended to make fun of others or release crapshit only. Why someone gets the idea that Brainbombs would be a fake-group is beyond any logic. Because the member status was secret? So Elite were fake too.
And I've got a secret to tell... Troep and Hitmen have a "bunch of similarities" too. Doh!

@Graham: To add to your discussion with TheRyk, "According to the programmer of V-Max, it's a fastloader and not a protection scheme." - of course a single utility does not necessarily represent one branch only. If a fastload tool keeps someone from copying the disk it's installed on as side effect, it's a protection too. Intended or not doesn't matter.
2012-03-08 18:26
Graham
Account closed

Quoting Rough

@Graham: To add to your discussion with TheRyk, "According to the programmer of V-Max, it's a fastloader and not a protection scheme." - of course a single utility does not necessarily represent one branch only. If a fastload tool keeps someone from copying the disk it's installed on as side effect, it's a protection too. Intended or not doesn't matter.

Ofcourse, that's what I tried to say with that. It is a protection even though the programmer himself never considered it as one.
2012-03-09 12:31
Adam

Quoting Rough
...Also when defining cracking as the removement of a copy protection then freezing IS cracking. In a lame and dirty manner without the need of skills, but definately the frozen (or freezed if you take it as proper verb) files were copy.- and playable.

i see what you're getting at, sure.. freezing gets around the protection and allows you to copy a program but freezing has nothing to do with 'cracking', freezing is just plain ol' freezing. =)

2012-03-09 18:36
chatGPZ

Quote:
Brainbombs were unlike TWG never intended to make fun of others or release crapshit only.

please explain how Skramble +5HDF falls into this "crapshit only" category. also please explain how any of their releases (every single one a so called first release, btw - except the one above) is different from what other supposedly non fake groups release these days and why that doesnt make these groups fake too. please be specific.

Quote:
Why someone gets the idea that Brainbombs would be a fake-group is beyond any logic.

lets say i have talked to a former member and he told me so. and the question isnt why, the question is by what definition not - so what *does* define a "fake group" then? please be specific.

Quote:
So Elite were fake too.

so we already found out that secret member status is irrelevant. what *is* relevant then? please be specific.
2012-03-09 18:38
chatGPZ

Quote:
freezing has nothing to do with 'cracking', freezing is just plain ol' freezing.

that opinion however only formed later in the scene - in 1984 there wouldnt be a difference between freezing and cracking. and isepic was one very productive cracker :o)
2012-03-10 17:03
Achim

This has always been a big difference. I remember being disappointed everytime I had to realise that I only got hold of a freezed version. I always started searching for a 'proper' crack instead.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Andy/AEG
Krill/Plush
fegolhuzz
rexbeng
MagerValp/G★P
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD