Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > LCP 2004 demos
2004-08-05 07:54
Oswald

LCP 2004 demos

What do you think ?

I'm sad, as there were no real coder's demos.

Afrika - we 've seen all these effects 10 years before

Triad,Flt - The design / theme of the demos were not good
enough to excuse for no spectacular codings.

Effluvium - the code was not good enough to excuse no gfx/design/whatever.

are there really no coders out there, that can come up with new stuff ?

... 131 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-08-09 07:43
QuasaR

@Dane: So you mean Cologne isn't arty but a tech-demo. Ah, I forgot the coloured rasterline... =8)
2004-08-09 07:47
QuasaR

I ment, since I'm from Germany...
2004-08-09 08:41
Sat
Account closed

_V_:

Farbrausch I respect for their 64k demoes where they have plenty of limits, and really have to be smart about what they do. I love their work.

Conspiracy I didnt know but a quick search also make it seem like they produce 64k (limits) and I will have to check those out, it sounds like something I might like.

Some of the programmers you mention ring a bell but I think thats from old demoes.

I admit I more or less stopped looking at normal PC demoes when it became total 3d accelerated vector madness with a zillion overlays.
2004-08-09 09:25
Oswald

Dane:

"Sat, Oswald...or anyone who wants to meddle in this discussion - you might want to consider phrasing. Saying "ok, Borderline wsn't my kind of demo but congrats on #2" is a lot nicer than "wtf art suxxor - leave the scene"."

Read the comments of Borderline, I wrote that it should have won. I never told anyone to leave the scene, nor stated concept/art demos are suxxor.

People dont really see my point. Its not that I dont like concept demos. I adore manhood I-II (hi hollowman), whatsoever. Simply I think that at LCP the concept demos did not cut it enough. On the other hand I miss coder pron demos.

Hollowman:

That fuckin filled vector took more time to code than your last 2 demo altogether (it uses a totally new aproach, you know that yourself but be it for you its 10 years old), and this is where it comes to the point that I dont see the effort in demos. Something thats easy to do is not apreciated, be it for painting pictures, or growing trees. This also the point for ppl wanting hard code in demos.

I also said that I tried to show either new or UPGRADED effects. Probably you dont think its cool if a bump mapper/tunel runs on a bitmap screen instead of 4x4, or if a fullscreen filled vector runs faster. I do. If its only for more speed/colors/resolution the effect is new/upgraded for me.

2004-08-09 11:21
yago

Oswald wrote:
"People dont really see my point. Its not that I dont like concept demos."

My main Problem with your Posts is the spreading of the term "concept demos".
Just show me one demo without a concept!

Sure there are Demos which are technically bad, but IMHO this has nothing to do with beeing a "concept demo" or not.

Its very difficult to explain what art is, but (at least in german) it has a lot to do with competence and knowledge (and requires loads of work) and breaking limits.

In this Respect, even the first sideborder-demos are "concept demos" and "artsy demos".

Have Fun,
Zed Yago

--
If everything is worth money
money is worth nothing
2004-08-09 12:40
TDJ

Quote: Oswald wrote:
"People dont really see my point. Its not that I dont like concept demos."

My main Problem with your Posts is the spreading of the term "concept demos".
Just show me one demo without a concept!

Sure there are Demos which are technically bad, but IMHO this has nothing to do with beeing a "concept demo" or not.

Its very difficult to explain what art is, but (at least in german) it has a lot to do with competence and knowledge (and requires loads of work) and breaking limits.

In this Respect, even the first sideborder-demos are "concept demos" and "artsy demos".

Have Fun,
Zed Yago

--
If everything is worth money
money is worth nothing

C'mon, don't try to make things even harder. I think everybody knows what is meant with a concept demo. Having a sideborder scroll is not a concept. Ofcourse you could argue it is (I know people have done before with effects) but that's just plain bullshit.

Because hey, then all demos are technical demos too! And graphical demos! And musical demos! Wow .. no more differences, no more problems ..

And please go tell the music industry that all albums are now concept albums as well.
2004-08-09 13:57
J.T.
Account closed

demos without design are boring and bad, even if they have nice effects if you don't present them nicely it's just a waste of code effort. and the same goes to grafix, you can have tons of nice graphics but if you don't have any design to present them then the demo will be boring and bad, i guess you guys get my point(couldn't keep quiet any more).
2004-08-09 15:15
yago

Well, we could not disagree more, TDJ!
2004-08-09 15:26
TDJ

Let's agree to disagree then, but please don't get mad while the rest of us keep using this term okay? :)
2004-08-09 16:48
RaveGuru

Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
WVL/Xenon
iAN CooG/HVSC
celticdesign/G★P/M..
Xidex/7-Inch
REBEL 1/HF
KLR/NoName