Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > I want to start composing music
2010-09-26 16:21
grennouille

I want to start composing music

so please what is the best and simplest tracker for a newbie like me?

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-09-27 08:15
Soren

Jan: I wasn't going to use future composer, soundmonitor,rockmonitor or other shitty editors later either, but did start with those aswell as others :-)
2010-09-27 08:57
Devia

Since all the useful editors let you interface more or less directly with the SID, I'd recommend to start with reading and at least trying to understand APPENDIX O from the C64 Programmers Reference Guide.
It won't make you any better as a musician, but it will help you understand what all those hex numbers in the editors actually mean.
2010-09-27 09:15
MC
Account closed

Quote: If it's not important to you to do your music on real hardware, I would go with Goattracker. Jump into the fire instead of dancing around it.

It is imporant to do your music on real hardware.
Not any SID emulation comes even close to the real thing!
2010-09-27 09:35
chatGPZ

seeing how probably more than half of the "top" musicians use GT, i cant agree with that anymore :) quite the contrary is probably more like it: just like an emu in general is enough for most practical coding now, the sid emulation is good enough for most things.

as to the original question: it all depends on how much experience you have with the SID, and trackers in general - imho. personally i still think the soundmonitor editor rules (although the replayer sucks, no doubt). its kinda limited, but leads to results quickly (and there is a good doc on it too). i've had much less luck with futurecomposer when trying to do some tunes back in 1988, that one was just cryptic and no docs either =) and stuff like JCH or SDI is certainly a bit too much for a complete beginner, its easier to understand some basic principles in a simplier environment, imho.
2010-09-27 10:14
Stainless Steel

Or just grab an editor that sounds most promising,
has sufficient demotunes to learn from and try to get a hold of someone via irc who you can drive insane with your questions.

That's what i did (hi glenn!).

I didnt have any clue about the inner workings of the SID (still dont).

It's a long and painful journey, there's no way around that.

Though its debatable if what i produce has anything to do with music, so dont take my word for it :-D

As to the Emu vs Realthing question.

If you have the hardware to do your stuff on, by all means do it (assuming a c64 native editor).

If you keep it to 8580 and prefer the convinience of the emulator (snapshots, fast and easy) then emu isnt that bad.

And as mentioned before, plenty of composers use emulation these days.

2010-09-27 14:35
Linus

Get a decent editor (anything from the list Jeff posted earlier) and just do it. Sort of worked for me :)
2010-09-27 18:13
FATFrost
Account closed

I tried out a few editors, and found most quote hard to understand as I don't know much about the Sid chip, I now use GT for my experiments as it runs on mac and pc and it's quite easy to use, has some great demo tunes and is able to save as Sid or prg executable files.

I still cannot make anything that sounds like a song though, but that's because I'm a slacker and not GT's fault! ;)
2010-09-27 18:56
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Jan: I wasn't going to use future composer, soundmonitor,rockmonitor or other shitty editors later either, but did start with those aswell as others :-)

That was back then Jeff, when there weren't so many editors.
Now its 20 years later, and we have seen and tried a lot.

Yes i did 1 tune more in soundmonitor, 2 years ago, but that to relive the old days, for fun, and well the tune came out of it.. :D
2010-09-28 08:08
booker

Quoting MC

Not any SID emulation comes even close to the real thing!

Erm, I did a tune for Silesia Party last year on Vice with 6581 R4AR 3789 and to my surprise it played exactly the same on Rafs real C64 (with also same chip rev) we use for old sid compos at the party.

As to the answer to your question Grenouille - the best editor is the one you get comfortable with. :) Although if you're looking for a modern capabilities ile. flt type change within the table, pointers to the tables in the pattern, tracker style pattern display then GT is a good option. Has some annoying limits but which one hasn't?

Also check out new editor upcoming from Jeff - perchaps even on X party - if not at this one, then at some of the frothcoming hopefully :D His old one (X-SID) is also worth to look at ;)
2010-09-28 08:29
Mace

Try this old thread and you'll see that it has all been said before.
Or this one on how to start composing, but better is perhaps Adam's thread, as he has the exact same question as you.

If you want to know what NOT to use, you can read it all here.

Hell, isn't the search a wonderfull tool?!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Ray Manta/DataDoor
Guests online: 59
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)