Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > One last time: make voting optional when a release is created
2012-12-18 12:46
Mr. Mouse

One last time: make voting optional when a release is created

There has been so much said about the ridiculous voting system at CSDb, that it is surprising it is still there. A voting system has no place in a database. A database like this collects data, but not votes, which is not fact based, but empathy based.

I don't want to start a new thread discussing this. I just would like to know if it could be agreeable to add a check box when you create a release, to allow or disallow voting for that particular release (one time choice only). I don't want people to vote for my age old releases, nor has that any value when they do. At least give us the choice to ban voting for releases we merely add for archival sake, and not to show off or be judged by lamers.

If that is not agreeable, then so be it. I will consider deleting my archival releases.

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-18 18:00
Count Zero

Same here - just ignoring the votes works like a charm.
2012-12-18 18:59
Mr. Mouse

Who actually benefits from this voting system, who is in charge there, and what problem does this person have with us to keep a system that no one wants.

Oh well, it seems this is not going to happen then, a button to disable voting before you upload. And the trolls are kept alive on purpose.

Sure, the moment you release something to the public you will be judged, or not, people can also just not care. But I am not interested in what they think, if they express it in a number only and even as cowardly dogs at that. This isn't a talent show, I am not here to please them all, I create because I like creating. To learn and try new things. But i'm not after your votes.

I learn more from people that speak up and tell me what they like and don't like and why.

It bugs me that I have to ignore a useless voting system to get by here. I'd rather not upload at all then. But I can't upload it even on my own website, because chances are someone will then upload it here nevertheless.
2012-12-18 19:58
Oswald

you can just use adblock or greasemonkey to hide votes.
2012-12-19 11:59
Deev

Does "no one want" the voting system?

Considering how many threads there have been discussing better ways to calculate the overall ratings, people must care to some extent.

Yes, the system which calculates overall ratings doesn't really work with the low number of votes most releases get, but I still find it interesting to see people's individual ratings on my work. I can appreciate a written critique in the comments section would be more useful, but there isn't time to do that for every release. I'd rather have a number than no feedback at all.

This seems to stem from you releasing a 20 year old tune that people are now voting on. I don't think you can really release something and not expect people to pass opinion on it. Before CSDB, there were charts and magazines reviews, people will always have opinions. Also, if you don't think something is especially good yourself, why release it in the first place?

On the subject of public vs anonymous voting. My votes are public and sometimes there will be a highly rated release that I don't like very much. If everyone is voting 9-10 for something and I feel it's worth a 7, it's hard to submit that vote without feeling like I'm launching a personal attack on the person or group responsible. Whilst anonymous votes can be used by some to influence results unfairly, people can also use them to express a truer opinion than they would perhaps feel comfortable expressing publicly, maybe leading to a more accurate reflection of opinions overall.
2012-12-19 12:42
v3to

agree with deev.

personally i like the vote system, not because of the ranking or shitty downvoting discussions. it is mostly because i am seriously interested in single opinions and they are often summed up by numbers.

talking about the top-rating-lists: entertaining but nothing to take serious. main issue here are csdb-members themselves. guess one does really not like a highly popular production and votes 6 or less. mostly there is a downvote drama going on. this is something reasonable for anonymous votes, but then there are obvious people who do strategic votes to "adjust the overall rating". then there is somekind of a weighting system going on which differes to a avarage rating. guess this is to make down/upvotes less absolute.
if you ask me - plug a hole by causing another leak.

check out lemon64 or artcity. both platforms do not use anonymous votes + pure avarage ratings and there is no drama at all. probably people here just have to risk a more open system to get things straight.
2012-12-19 13:15
bepp

Quoting Deev
Considering how many threads there have been discussing better ways to calculate the overall ratings, people must care to some extent.
+1
Quoting Oswald
you can just use adblock or greasemonkey to hide votes.
+1

What's the problem? If you're not interested in what people think, then just ignore it. If it bothers you enough, remove it yourself =)
2012-12-19 15:01
Mr. Mouse

I said I'd not want to open up this can of worms of a "voting discussion".

If people care about the voting, let them choose that option. If people do not want cowards to vote, let them also choose that option.

Like I said. Give users a checkbox upon creation of a release. If you're so hot on getting votes, fine. But don't bother me with it, let me make it impossible to vote. My work is not meant to be summed up in some useless number.

But anyway, let's stop this discussion. I justed wanted a yes or no to a "Allow voting" checkbox in the release creation dialog.

Mod, you can close this thread now. It's not working.
2012-12-19 15:30
chatGPZ

for this discussion similar rules apply as to judging your age old tune, so no reason to close =)
2012-12-19 17:03
dink
Account closed

Simple solution to the problem: If you don't want people to judge your work, do not release it publically.
2012-12-19 19:08
chatGPZ

Quote:
check out lemon64 or artcity. both platforms do not use anonymous votes + pure avarage ratings and there is no drama at all.

i dont know artcity, but on lemon the drama comes and goes just like it does here, recently eg here: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42602&postdays=0&p..
for the most part you dont notice it as much as on csdb because on lemon even a lot less people actually vote.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Swallow/Censor Design
cba
Scrap/Genesis Project
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Majikeyric
Fred/Channel 4