Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > One last time: make voting optional when a release is created
2012-12-18 12:46
Mr. Mouse

One last time: make voting optional when a release is created

There has been so much said about the ridiculous voting system at CSDb, that it is surprising it is still there. A voting system has no place in a database. A database like this collects data, but not votes, which is not fact based, but empathy based.

I don't want to start a new thread discussing this. I just would like to know if it could be agreeable to add a check box when you create a release, to allow or disallow voting for that particular release (one time choice only). I don't want people to vote for my age old releases, nor has that any value when they do. At least give us the choice to ban voting for releases we merely add for archival sake, and not to show off or be judged by lamers.

If that is not agreeable, then so be it. I will consider deleting my archival releases.

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-20 15:12
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting CRRN

@all
is it OK to put it here then with regard to all IP (intelectual properties) rights?
what happens if author is doing C64 stuff and he doenst wish to put it here? does he has any rigths? (IMO he has and CSDB cant simply take the releases and store them here) and put it to the vote even when the author doesnt wnat it to.

really interesting issue from legal point of vie. I never looked at CSDB from this perspective and I think I'm going to look for the CSDB IP policy or something - curiosity is eating me with this issue.... it really looks like a weak area to expoit for lawyers.

There's the Electronic Commerce Directive (EU). Article 14 forms the basis for notice and take down procedures by online hosts under EU law.
2012-12-20 15:36
Jon
Account closed

That might be the basis of removing the files, but could he make a legal argument to remove his entries from here entirely?

If Mr. Mouse et. al can't have the actual entry removed, it will still be here (sans files) and will still be voted on.

This hardly seems a solution at all.

2012-12-20 15:37
Carrion

so if I do a c64 stuff and for some reason I hate this CSDB and people involved here (I'm not saying that i really do - just an example :D ) I have no option... and simply I doesn't seam to releaase my stuff nowhere on the internet? because it will end up here anyway? hm that's interesting thing which I didnt realized before :D

the iMDB example is not exactly acuurate though. CSDB link and most of the time hosts the .prg and .d64 files which I as an author may no want them to do. iMDB doesnt hosts the files (moves, torrent, etc) or are they?
so can CSDB copy my C64 files (again supposedly) and be OK with the low if the author states in licence tht his particular works can only be downloaded from his site and not stored on other sites?

sorry for this but it really bugs me...
2012-12-20 15:39
chatGPZ

and then there is the scene that couldnt care less about it. there are even people who harvest commercial databases and post the results on their blogs without asking /o\

really. stop the fucking drama and produce something. at the end of the day the louder you complain, the less likely your stuff will get removed, ever =P
2012-12-20 16:37
Carrion

Im not complaining nor doig a drama...
I was just curious how it works from IP perspective...
You can put my pics here as long as you re enjoing them... And i like to see votes statustics aswell as comments.
Marry christmass!

2012-12-20 16:42
Radiant

The scene in general has a quite pragmatic approach to IP. Basically anything goes, as long as you're not claiming other people's work as your own or making money off of other people's work without asking them first. :-)

Edit: Which I think is a quite sensible approach to the whole intellectual property thing. "Don't be a dick."
2012-12-20 17:03
chatGPZ

Quote:
The scene in general has a quite pragmatic approach to IP. Basically anything goes, as long as you're not claiming other people's work as your own or making money off of other people's work without asking them first. :-)

that sums it up pretty well :)
2012-12-20 19:47
Graham
Account closed

Quoting Jon
If Mr. Mouse et. al can't have the actual entry removed, it will still be here (sans files) and will still be voted on.

If it has been released, it has been released.
2012-12-22 18:12
bugjam

Quote: so stop debating it further, and finally do something.
instead of vote, show nr of downloads, or nothing at all.

but please do it, and end this debate.

+1
2012-12-22 18:16
bugjam

Quote: Amen to that.

It's just art and as all art, it's like releasing a paper boat on a little river. Your task is done as soon as you said goodbye to it. So, if it reaches the sea or not, some people will ever find it or not, or they even use it for something or not like writing down the Theory of the Universe, writing a love letter on it, wrapping around some weed and smoke it or wiping their asses with it - it's really all the same. It is a great deal of a lot of random things and ever existing confusion inside the skull of people.

Ease up, care less, release more. Positive ears are around.

Very well put.
By the way, if, Mr. Mouse, it is about uploading your old stuff here, I don't think you have to worry too much anyway - small old stuff does not get voted much anyway. There is just too much stuff uploaded every day; the people that bother to vote usually check out the new releases only.
From my side, I would be very glad if you would continue uploading old historical stuff for the sake of conservation, and share it with the ones interested here.
Cheers,

Bugjam
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exploding Fi../Techn..
MightyAxle
Pushead/Hokuto Force
doctorfargo/Binary L..
Guests online: 76
Top Demos