Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user jmi ! (Registered 2024-09-15) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #225023 : All Hallows' Eve
2022-10-30 13:05
Xiny6581

Release id #225023 : All Hallows' Eve

a

... 21 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-11-04 12:07
wacek

No offence to anyone, but are you really suggesting that there is some more difficulty in making a demo in a team of 13 coders, 8 graphicians and 6 musicians than making a demo in a 5 people team? That is insane to me. How can you compare (even) the logistical/organisational difficulty of such a team (efectively reduced with modern tools) AGAINST the sheer need of amount of creative effort to make something in a much smaller team? Insert obvious military analogy here ;)

And that also being supported by rather clear artistic direction set out by the obvious theme, where for the demos like Skybox or Still Rising they had to invent the original theme, design and direction for the demo not starting with a popculture reference. I think the difficulty of the job at hand is not comparable... like at all.
2022-11-04 12:13
wacek

Quoting Frostbyte
how did you keep everyone in the loop

If only we had some seasoned tools IT people use everyday, like Slack!

Quote:
and motivated

Let me suggest: when 1 of your 13 coders loses the motivation, you have 12 more as backup ;)

Quote:
There are things for us mere mortals to learn from here for sure.

Yes, the most important being: it's easier to have bigger output when you have more resources... ;)

Seriously?
2022-11-04 12:24
Honcho

Wacek, I don't think anyone was trying to compare, or even suggest that a large production must necessarily be more difficult than one coming from a small close-nit team. The question was more around the logistics and how it was all organised, which likely is somewhat different than what you'd do with a smaller team. Different challenges and different needs, simple as that. And, yes, Slack is a great tool and we used it a lot ;)
2022-11-04 12:35
wacek

Honcho, I am just interpreting some of the comments, which are suggesting just that.
I remember someone suggesting here not so long ago that demos with animations should not be in the same democompo category as the ones without. That was idiotic, still no one is considering that maybe demos done by 5 groups are not totally fair to compete against the demos done by 1 group, like, you know having a football match of 55 players against 11... ;) But it's just my thoughts there, don't take it to the heart too much. The playing field will never be even anyway.
2022-11-04 12:58
Honcho

Well, I guess we interpret the comments differently as I saw it more as an interest in knowing how the collaboration was done across a large and diverse group of people, not necessarily saying that the output was far more superior. Take FIG's AI release as an example, two sides packed with great effects and done by a small team where my question would be, how on earth did they do that on their own? Quite impressive, but in a different way. As for fairness in compos, we're always going to have apples and oranges that aren't easily comparable...
2022-11-04 13:12
wacek

Yeah, our interpretations could differ, which is normal. And I agree about the FIG demo, splendid effort on their side.
2022-11-04 13:18
Krill

Making a distinction between many-authors demos and few-authors demos should be left to the voters, just like judging about "realtime" vs "animation". =)

Separate compos would be stupid for both of these distinctions.
2022-11-04 15:43
Trap

For what its worth I don't see how the discussion of co-op demos is relevant. Maybe I missed comments that call it not fair. Even if it was discussed or not, it is no different than Bonzai with 5-6 members competing against f.ex. Censor with 20+ members. Only difference is the group boundaries.
2022-11-04 17:50
Mason

Quote: For what its worth I don't see how the discussion of co-op demos is relevant. Maybe I missed comments that call it not fair. Even if it was discussed or not, it is no different than Bonzai with 5-6 members competing against f.ex. Censor with 20+ members. Only difference is the group boundaries.

It's more a question about having fun and enjoy it
2022-11-04 18:08
wacek

Quoting Krill
Making a distinction between many-authors demos and few-authors demos should be left to the voters, just like judging about "realtime" vs "animation". =)

I agree, they shouldn't also namevote, groupvote etc. and that's also not happening anytime soon ;)

Quoting Trap
For what its worth I don't see how the discussion of co-op demos is relevant.

Trap, don't take it personally, the discussion is in the air for the last few years. Maybe not within the biggest groups that keep making the coop demos ;) And nobody is calling making coop demos unfair (that is reserved for demos with animations, remember, hahah, just joking sorry couldn't resist myself). I am just saying competing against them is tough. Just by the sheer fact that it's Oxyron making demo with Censor, Fairlight with Booze and Bonzai or whatever, half of the audience at the party is already shitting their pants with excitement at the basic fadeout. And that is even before we see what 7 coders and 11 graphicians have came up with. There are reasons why some smaller groups prefer to release their demos on small, local parties. I can explain that to you over a beer sometimes, next X or whatever. There are different perspectives.
So again, don't feel offended or anything, it's just open discussion, not a flame.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Almighty God/Level 6..
GeirS
bugjam
-trb-
REBEL 1/HF
icon/The Silents, Sp..