Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Fake Groups
2002-06-16 20:55
Richard

Fake Groups

Why do we have fake groups (lamer labels) as well as proper groups. I know some people may have released SEUCK and BASIC games, etc. but in the 1980's/Early-mid 90's, no matter what, A proper cracking group released these. Hotline, Triad and Mayhem released a few SEUCK games. Then some groups formed fake lamer labels known as 'The Bing0 Team', 'Urine', 'B0B', 'ORI' and a few others. Very strange.

Can anyone please tell me why we have these fake groups, when proper groups can actually release these games, like they did in 1980's or early 90's? Okay so you wont get bonus points for this, but fake groups is quite silly.
2002-06-16 23:54
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Why do we have fake groups (lamer labels) as well as proper groups. I know some people may have released SEUCK and BASIC games, etc. but in the 1980's/Early-mid 90's, no matter what, A proper cracking group released these. Hotline, Triad and Mayhem released a few SEUCK games. Then some groups formed fake lamer labels known as 'The Bing0 Team', 'Urine', 'B0B', 'ORI' and a few others. Very strange.

Can anyone please tell me why we have these fake groups, when proper groups can actually release these games, like they did in 1980's or early 90's? Okay so you wont get bonus points for this, but fake groups is quite silly.

The lamer labels are powered by the same crews as produce the proper cracks. They exist because the crackers don't feel that the games are worth the effort. SEUCK games are particular targets because everybody and his cat knows how to crack/train SEUCK...

And it's a laugh.
2002-06-17 04:54
CyberBrain
Administrator

A fake group can also be a group only releasing fake-demos (<- demos just made for fun (one of the better of these demos are F.A.K.E./The obsessed maniacs))
2002-06-17 08:26
Pater Pi
Account closed

F.A.K.E. rules....
...but TOM is no fake group, eh? 8)

2002-06-17 12:05
CyberBrain
Administrator

Point taken...
2002-06-17 14:48
Moloch

There existed MANY fake groups... almost all the major groups (1st releases) had a fake group... even the NTSC scene was full of them.

The most famous on NTSC is the lamer label AFROS. This group even released full price games from Arcade and G*P. :)

Oh, the old days when things were fun... why must things change?

2002-06-17 17:33
Richard

Quote: A fake group can also be a group only releasing fake-demos (<- demos just made for fun (one of the better of these demos are F.A.K.E./The obsessed maniacs))

Yes, I thought my lamer label 'DLX' was a laugh. :)
2002-06-17 20:54
Rough
Account closed

Richard:

Triad, Hotline etc released SEUCKers and BASIC games under their label because the idea of a fake label wasn't born yet, the first fake group AFAIK was BAD TASTE, the lamer label from Genesis Project.

Mayhem was a lame group so they didn't need a lamer group.
Or did they have one?
Not to mix up with the American importer group Mayhem which was active around 1988. They have nothing in common.

Afterall the main concept of fake groups was FUN, it was great to see in the beginning to make people guess who the fuck these lamer groups are.

Other people wanted to release certain games to prevent other groups from releasing them (in the race for release points) but still didn't want to spoil their reputation by releasing crappy games. I never really agreed with the last argument as the cracker is not responsible for the game's quality.

After 2-3 years fake groups were so common that it became extremely boring to have them.

2002-06-18 08:07
T.M.R
Account closed

i remember when Bad Taste started up i missed the joke, reading the third issue of "Bad News" was a bit of a revelation. Very nice intro, the big pic of Bonecrushing Bill and a the likkle blokey puking on the scroller...

i feel *really* old now. =-)
2002-06-18 13:39
Cupid

I'm not sure, but I doubt that bad taste was the first fake group, maybe the best "marketed" fake label :)

Another aspect of fake groups was to take the piss at how serious some people take the scene, and forget to have fun doing them productions.

Good fake demos were always the radbrekkjers demos (shape), noway was quite nice and dinosaurs was just odd :)

But like everything it became boring when every idiot knowing a bit of basic flooded the 4k compos with "funny" basic demos in their native language.

It's fun, but fake groups should always have a real group with good releases behind them. Having fake demos just because one is not skilled enough to create real ones is just odd :)
2002-06-18 14:13
CreaMD

ODD is too mild term. Pathetic, or lame sounds more adequate.

... 80 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
psych
Marco/DDM
Nuckhead/Backbone So..
Slaxx/Q/HF/MYD!
Jammer