Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Stop un-deleting my file!
2010-09-18 10:57
JCB
Account closed

Stop un-deleting my file!

Whoever it is (I can guess) who keeps undeleting my Bitmash.exe, please stop being purposefully irritating and leave it alone.

It's NOT a c64 release, it's NOT a scene release, it's a PC exe of something I thought someone might eventually find useful but after the constant irritating requests for source (I'm not 6, asking once is enough) I decided to delete it until I'd done a more complete version.

Seems kind of idiotic to have a delete option to then only ignore a persons wishes to have THEIR file removed. If you're going to insist on putting it back again at least a) Give me a good reason (and no, it's for history bullshit isn't a good one) and b) remove all the bullshit comments from it.

Pete
2010-09-18 12:35
iAN CooG

CSDb isn't your release site either. If YOU add stuff to CSDb means that YOU want it archived. Once added here (and it's relevant to C64 scene, and a cross tool that uses/creates C64 usable files IS relevant) it's already part of the scene history, like it or not. Deleting the first version of a program to replace it later with a new one is wrong, what you are going to do it's called history revisionism. Use your own site if you want to release stuff you don't feel it's needed on CSDb, so you can change whatever you want, but also expect someone else adding it here when it's found (happened to some of my shit I keep on my site too)
2010-09-18 12:42
ptoing

Sorry iAN, but I could not find a legal disclaimer where people signing up to CSDb waive their right to files uploaded (copyright) if they are their own. So if anyone would want to delete their stuff and tell CSDb not to up it again, they could and should be able to do so. Scene history shmistory. If someone has a reason (which can be whatever really) to not have their stuff on this site they should be able to do so.

Why have a delete function to begin with if this was not the case?
2010-09-18 12:50
iAN CooG

You have to state a reason to delete files, and I bet the file was undeleted because the reason wasn't considered acceptable. Deleting version 1.0 to replace it with version 1.1 isn't valid. If you don't understand this, better not add your stuff to csdb.
2010-09-18 13:17
JCB
Account closed

I uploaded the file for other people NOT to have it archived, I'm perfectly capable of archiving my own files thx. I've had no feedback saying anyone found it useful and only people repeatedly asking for source code. I explained on the release page I'd upload source when I was ready to but that doesn't seem good enough. It's my decision as it's my decision to delete my own file. Ptoing is right, there's no rule saying files will always be undeleted and that I somehow lose my rights to my own code when I upload it here. For C64 releases I can see the point, to have as full a history as possible but for a simple PC exe there's no point and I only see it as someone being petty that it's been put back so many times.

As for the reason for deleting the file. I gave good reason the 1st time, then it came back, so I deleted it again, now I'm on about the 4th deletion.

As I've said, I'm happy to let it stay IF ALL the comments are removed. They're off topic and argumentative and don't need to be there. When/if I release an enhanced version (with or without source) I'll be sure to do so elsewhere but presuming it's ok to add it here without my permission is entirely wrong.

2010-09-18 13:34
iAN CooG

"I uploaded the file for other people NOT to have it archived"
then use megaupload and don't mess with csdb, kthx
Also you can't do anything about comments, if you can't stand people commenting entries better leave csdb for good.
2010-09-18 13:40
JCB
Account closed

As I've said, leave it deleted and I'll upload somewhere else in future. I didn't realise this site suddenly got ownership of my code because I uploaded it in the hopes someone might find it useful. I could care less about csdb and if my stuff is on here or not.

And yes, according to the site rules offtopic/trolling posts SHOULD be deleted from release pages. I know most of the mods can't be bothered policing that stuff but as far as I'm concerned if someone asks for source and I politely ask them to wait until I'm ready to upload it, they should have the decency to wait and not harass me for it when it's likely they don't really want it and have no use for it.
2010-09-18 13:43
Zyron

There are rules and they apply to everyone.

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/help.php?section=rules

7.9: [...] so if you choose csdb as your release platform better doublecheck that what you upload is actually what you want to release. in tribute to the "old school" retroactive "unreleasing" will not be tolerated.
2010-09-18 13:45
JCB
Account closed

But it's not a scene release. It's not a c64 file. If the mods decided they didn't like it you can guarantee it'd be gone and never allowed back like when Ste tried to upload some C64 sprites in gif format but because someone wants to be an arse my file has to stay.

The whole of that 7.X section talks about C64 files only. There's no mention of PC specific files. Also read section 8. Which Releases belong into the Database.. The Other platform tool section isn't covered anywhere and as such shouldn't really have the same rules apply, it's coders giving stuff TO the scene for sceners use, not to have their control of it suddenly removed.
2010-09-18 14:02
Oswald

Why cant you make senseful exceptions of the rules, instead of generating csdb drama?
2010-09-18 14:06
JCB
Account closed

Well if there was some kind of consistency to the enforcement of the rules it'd all be fine. As it is trolls are left unchecked when if they want to go off topic they should just hit the "discuss this release" button, stuff is deleted JUST because mods don't actually know if they're valid or not and are only guessing. Stuff is undeleted for no reason (why have a delete option in the 1st place?) etc etc I've asked for one of two not unreasonable things. Either leave it deleted or remove the comments. As it is Mr SID himself (who kept insisting on me uploading source) told me that the file shouldn't be there if I wasn't going to release source for it, I'm just trying to follow peoples wishes..

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Icon/TRIAD
A3/AFL
The Sarge/Fairlight/..
iAN CooG/HVSC
WVL/Xenon