Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > One last time: make voting optional when a release is created
2012-12-18 12:46
Mr. Mouse

One last time: make voting optional when a release is created

There has been so much said about the ridiculous voting system at CSDb, that it is surprising it is still there. A voting system has no place in a database. A database like this collects data, but not votes, which is not fact based, but empathy based.

I don't want to start a new thread discussing this. I just would like to know if it could be agreeable to add a check box when you create a release, to allow or disallow voting for that particular release (one time choice only). I don't want people to vote for my age old releases, nor has that any value when they do. At least give us the choice to ban voting for releases we merely add for archival sake, and not to show off or be judged by lamers.

If that is not agreeable, then so be it. I will consider deleting my archival releases.

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-12-19 17:03
dink
Account closed

Simple solution to the problem: If you don't want people to judge your work, do not release it publically.
2012-12-19 19:08
chatGPZ

Quote:
check out lemon64 or artcity. both platforms do not use anonymous votes + pure avarage ratings and there is no drama at all.

i dont know artcity, but on lemon the drama comes and goes just like it does here, recently eg here: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42602&postdays=0&p..
for the most part you dont notice it as much as on csdb because on lemon even a lot less people actually vote.
2012-12-20 04:11
NecroPolo

Quote: There is an even easier solution to all of this: Care less!

Amen to that.

It's just art and as all art, it's like releasing a paper boat on a little river. Your task is done as soon as you said goodbye to it. So, if it reaches the sea or not, some people will ever find it or not, or they even use it for something or not like writing down the Theory of the Universe, writing a love letter on it, wrapping around some weed and smoke it or wiping their asses with it - it's really all the same. It is a great deal of a lot of random things and ever existing confusion inside the skull of people.

Ease up, care less, release more. Positive ears are around.
2012-12-20 10:13
Adam

Quoting Frantic
There is an even easier solution to all of this: Care less!

yeah, I agree.
2012-12-20 10:28
Adam

Quoting Mr. Mouse
...If that answer is also no, the only option is not to upload anything new/old, nor create anything new.

If you release your stuff elsewhere on the web, chances are that it will end up here at some point, voted on, commented on.. etc... Anything you release will most likely be added without your permission even if you like it or not. As previously mentioned, any of your uploaded entries that you have tried to delete will be retrieved and added back into the Db.

I guess you could give up and not bother creating anything new for the '64. It's your choice.

2012-12-20 11:50
Carrion

Quote: Quoting Mr. Mouse
...If that answer is also no, the only option is not to upload anything new/old, nor create anything new.

If you release your stuff elsewhere on the web, chances are that it will end up here at some point, voted on, commented on.. etc... Anything you release will most likely be added without your permission even if you like it or not. As previously mentioned, any of your uploaded entries that you have tried to delete will be retrieved and added back into the Db.

I guess you could give up and not bother creating anything new for the '64. It's your choice.

I was going to ask about this issue.
What if I release a picture or anything c64 related (on my blog) and I dont want it be released here? (let's say for drama and voting reasons) do I have an option to ask admin/moderator to deleate it?
2012-12-20 12:09
Cresh

If you make it public, it will end up here.
2012-12-20 13:05
SIDWAVE
Account closed

so stop debating it further, and finally do something.
instead of vote, show nr of downloads, or nothing at all.

but please do it, and end this debate.
2012-12-20 13:35
Carrion

Quote: If you make it public, it will end up here.

@cresh
interesting.

@all
is it OK to put it here then with regard to all IP (intelectual properties) rights?
what happens if author is doing C64 stuff and he doenst wish to put it here? does he has any rigths? (IMO he has and CSDB cant simply take the releases and store them here) and put it to the vote even when the author doesnt wnat it to.

really interesting issue from legal point of vie. I never looked at CSDB from this perspective
and I think I'm going to look for the CSDB IP policy or something - curiosity is eating me with this issue.... it really looks like a weak area to expoit for lawyers.
2012-12-20 14:15
Cresh

It is like IMDb, discogs.com with (not always) download links.
If you once made your c64 work public, its entry should be here.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Icon/TRIAD
Matt
Menace/Spaceballs
REBEL 1/HF
Meikel aka ZUX/Sparks
Darkflight