Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Problem transferring discs to d64/PC
2012-01-25 11:28
Dano

Problem transferring discs to d64/PC

Maybe you can help me/us.. Some week ago weasel and i were trying to transfer stuff from my discs to D64/PC. It took us quite a while to get Warpcopy64 + 1541UI running actually. First the codenet program didn't start because of not finding the ethernet stuff from the 1541U1. We fixed that by using SoundDemon's TASS Cartridge.

Now we have the problem, that we have to switch off the floppy after each warpcopy of one disc(side). Because if we continue without switching off the floppy it will produce errors after errors on each read. So we transfer one side warp, switch off the drive, change disc(side), switch on the drive, transfer the other disc(side, switch off the drive....

Is this a known bug? Is there a way to avoid switching off the floppy after each read? Normal transfer is just too slow.. ^^

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-02-01 22:02
Dano

geez, warpcopy just takes around 30 seconds.. ^^
2012-02-03 07:44
zscs

Well, I agree, opencbm does not support mass transfers by default and also not the fastest one. But, probably (as King Durin mentioned) not impossible to enhance it a little bit, in regards of mass transfers. ;) (The transfer speed is a different story...)
Another interesting option, if you have ZoomFloppy, you can use CBMXfer as well which still does not support mass transfers but if you have a parallel connection set up, this can be quite faaaast. ;) OK, you should click twice or so with your mouse instead of pressing space once:), I know, but supports NibTools, ImgCopy etc.
http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/software/cbmxfer/cbmxfer.html

Regaring the speed, you can get (up to) 25 secs/disk with some specific setups. ;) http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/cables.html
2012-02-03 12:36
Dano

if an AR kann load up to 25times without modding anything or warpcopy can transfer a disc within 30s any tool or connection should be able to achieve this would any parallel cable fiddling and such..

as said, if i'd just transfer one disc i won't care about usage and speed so much, but if you have to transfer whole discboxes any extra time or key/mouse action is unwanted.

those were the times when i had ramtrans in my floppy and needed 15secs to write a disc.. ^^
2012-02-08 14:16
Dano

FYI: I didn't that much information from Graham, but his answers read like it might by a bug/problem with WarpCopy not beeing able to properly resync on the disc after one fast-iec read when a disc is not formatted via CBM functions.

Someone might correct me, but i can't tell how to fix this problem as it seems not to be related with a distinct drive(setup).

In the end it means further seeking and waiting for a decent solution that works. What is the problem in the end will be uncovered forever i guess..
2012-02-08 15:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
opencbm does not support mass transfers by default and also not the fastest one.

when using warpmode opencbm should be pretty much exactly as fast as warpcopy (around 30 seconds per disk)
2012-02-08 16:15
Dano

OpenCBM? Ah yes, back to a PC with board with a parallel port that works those stoneage cables..

Is there fullfeatured useful GUI (allowing masstransfer)?

Which reverts me again to why we're not able to do this via 1541U after all.. *sigh*
2012-02-08 17:18
chatGPZ

Quote:
OpenCBM? Ah yes, back to a PC with board with a parallel port that works those stoneage cables..

you can use opencbm also with "zoomfloppy", which connects to an usb port.
Quote:
Which reverts me again to why we're not able to do this via 1541U after all.. *sigh*

i blame the broken ethernet of the 1541u - it never worked stable for me with it either (while it worked perfectly fine with rr+rrnet using the same drive and c64).
2012-02-13 00:33
King Durin
Account closed

I've created a new tool, OpenCBM Archiver V1.0 which allows the automated creation of disk images using OpenCBM.

King Durin aka plbyrd
http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com
http://www.paytonbyrd.com
2012-02-18 22:45
Dano

well well.. yesterday weasel and i did some further testing with other floppies from weasel's collection. and guess what- against our believes- we got it working!

to sum it up we got a c128 + 1541U-I (soundemons TASS action replay rom with codenet) + PC (win7/64bit) +

a) light brown 1541 with knob and long spin on time (1541C?)
b) light brown 1541 with knob and short spin on time (1541C?)
c) 1541II with thick knob and disc-fixing click
d) 1541II with light knob and no disc-fixing click

on the previous runs we had disdrives a) and c) and both did not work and required us to power off-on the floppies after each read with fast-iec.

with the drives b) and d) everything flawlessly from the first read on. both drives worked fine on numerous continuos reads from different discs. no power-off needed anymore! unbelieveable!!!

ofcourse we crosschecked then the drives switching the drives after each other with the same disc after each other. and always it was that the new drives worked without problems whereas the first drives still had the same problem.

not that you could say that a 1541II would work better than a 1541I. from the outside both 1541I are identical, just that one has a short spin-on time, the other needs more time to spin on.
the preferred 1541II from back then with the thicker knob and the disc-click did not work, whereas the drive with the thin know and no dics-fix worked fine.

so what is the difference that makes the one drive work and the other not?! actually, we- bluntly speaking- don't know the fuck why or why not.

is it that there are different versions of the drives which do or don't (mis-)align with fast-iec? do their mechanics or drive electronics work better with different interleaves and such?! i'm completly no drive-expert nor drive-coder so i know pretty few about the different drive revisions.

haven't got a response from graham for quite some time, so i don't know what warpcopy does on the c64 side that makes the code so instable on different drives.. at the end it's just guessing around.

finally i must admin i'd really like to have tried nibtools, opencbm/d64copy, but with all those different cables you seem to need (modding a drive for a parallel cable is really needed? no way..) and the hassle with the lpt ports, i gladly pass now that we got warpcopy working (again)..

p.s.: yes, i'd absolute love to see a mass-copy software inside the 1541U that'd make all that pc hassle and such obsolete.. *sigh* that would be perfect to me.. *dreaming*
2012-02-19 08:50
cba

Great news, no go and transfer all your disks ! ;-)

We need them to find missing demos/cracks etc !
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TBH
Guests online: 112
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)