Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Fake Groups
2002-06-16 20:55
Richard

Fake Groups

Why do we have fake groups (lamer labels) as well as proper groups. I know some people may have released SEUCK and BASIC games, etc. but in the 1980's/Early-mid 90's, no matter what, A proper cracking group released these. Hotline, Triad and Mayhem released a few SEUCK games. Then some groups formed fake lamer labels known as 'The Bing0 Team', 'Urine', 'B0B', 'ORI' and a few others. Very strange.

Can anyone please tell me why we have these fake groups, when proper groups can actually release these games, like they did in 1980's or early 90's? Okay so you wont get bonus points for this, but fake groups is quite silly.

... 80 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-07-01 18:07
Richard

Here's my idea for a fake group. It may sound silly but it just might work. Have a sort of crap intro screen, playing out of tune music :) with some silly text.
2002-07-01 18:29
The_Overkiller
Account closed

Quote: Nah, that makes the whole thing sound *far* too serious, it's all about fun; look at the group names, they're not taking *anything* seriously...

The games released on fake labels are normally the ones that look like they only had a few weeks work by the developers and, if that's the case, why should a serious crack be attempted?

Right! I'm a big collector of C64 games (even lame, who cares? :) ) so I thanx these lame groups for spreading them around....

Regardz
The Overkiller/Hokuto Force/PoL
2002-07-02 10:09
TDJ

Quote: Here's my idea for a fake group. It may sound silly but it just might work. Have a sort of crap intro screen, playing out of tune music :) with some silly text.

Been there, done that, at least in the demo-scene: in 1988 I was not only a member of WWE, but also of WWD (World Wide Drunk), making 3 horrible demos which became too popular for their own good :)

I released several other demos under a fake label, most of the time just to see how people would react to it if they didn't know I created it, or because it was not good enough to release under my own handle.

Example of the first category: Chaos One/Visual: a new intro and an old part from 1991, bundled together in 1994 release that got me several invitations from groups asking me to join them (I put my parents address in a scroll).

To those who feel fucked now (I know some of you are around): I'm sorry :)
2002-07-08 23:29
6R6

Radbrekkers first released some Offence demo parts.
(compare Greatest hits (1994), Familigud$tjenste (1994), versus Flexible 1 and 2 (1997) from Offence).
Offence quit the scene in 92/93 and gave 2-3 old demo parts to us.
2002-07-22 18:31
Rough
Account closed

Brian-Igen-Igen is from Denmark, it's Crossfire. :)

I doubt The Lamer Force (Dytec?) were the first lamer label, still believe it to be Bad Taste, if we let TDJ's lamer label demo group count then that is the one.
2002-08-21 18:59
Twoflower

Hmm...

Still remember the releases "Brian-igen-igen" made for Rappelkiste (RapK). This brings fond memories back. The reason for Triad releasing SEUCK games back in the days was just one - that they were made by The Sarge. As much demos as they are games, actually. Check out Di Art, f.ex.

/Twoflower
2002-08-22 22:32
Matt

Quote: i remember when Bad Taste started up i missed the joke, reading the third issue of "Bad News" was a bit of a revelation. Very nice intro, the big pic of Bonecrushing Bill and a the likkle blokey puking on the scroller...

i feel *really* old now. =-)

Bad Taste...
Speaking of nostalgia - now that makes me feel old aswell ;)
2002-08-23 07:23
TDJ

Quote: Brian-Igen-Igen is from Denmark, it's Crossfire. :)

I doubt The Lamer Force (Dytec?) were the first lamer label, still believe it to be Bad Taste, if we let TDJ's lamer label demo group count then that is the one.

Well, that one is not even the oldest fakegroup I've been in (there were several more).

Confession time: once I released a party disk with the top 3 demos of a party which did not take place, by groups that did not exist. All this next to my 1-part-per-day average for my 'real' demogroup (WWE).

So please, don't ever say I'm lazy anymore. Well, I am now, but that's because I'm still tired from that period (1988) :)

On topic: I'm sure there were other fake groups before that.
2002-08-23 23:53
Rough
Account closed

Twoflower, you know what Rappelkiste is? 8) 8) 8)
2002-09-03 13:29
Richard

Quote: Hmm...

Still remember the releases "Brian-igen-igen" made for Rappelkiste (RapK). This brings fond memories back. The reason for Triad releasing SEUCK games back in the days was just one - that they were made by The Sarge. As much demos as they are games, actually. Check out Di Art, f.ex.

/Twoflower

Ah yeah, I remember Triad's SEUCK game 'Di Art', in fact I was very keen playing it. It looked a bit like a vertical scrolling version of R-Type (Graphicwise). Sarge/Triad did some neat SEUCK games, I have to admit ;)

I come up with a fake group called 'Mafia' but I decided, forget it. I wont release Philip's SEUCKworm on a lamer lable like this. I'd leave it to the other groups - Come 'n get it dudes :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
psych
The Sarge/Fairlight/..
zzarko
Rutterkin
Zaphod/Hokuto Force