Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Just for curiosity
2009-10-26 19:47
grennouille

Just for curiosity

I wonder ... How do your families/friends consider your c64 love?

Personnaly I have 3 children and a girlfriend who see me like I'm an E.T. sometimes... My youngest son who is 5 years old sometime enjoys playing some of the 64 games but it don't take very long before he goes back to is Nintendo DS...

Sometimes, when a new flashy demo comes out here, I play it in Vice Full screen with speakers up and ask my girlfriend "Look ! Look ! Awesome what a 1mhz 64k computer can do! These coders are awesome! Don't you think? She replies : Of course.. Of course...

Do the people you love see you like an E.T. sometimes too?

Just curious and jobs boring so...

... 24 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-10-29 12:40
Deev

I don't talk about the scene to my friends much, because I don't want to sound like a nerd, but when I have had discussions, people I know have often been interested. I think the whole "retro" thing is fashionable these days anyway, I know people who make music on Gameboys, people who're into old 80s synths etc. I've been to electronic music nights where half the tunes sound like they could be from an 80s computer game. There's even music in the charts that sounds like it was made with an 8 bit computer. Pixel art has also had a growth in popularity in recent years with work by guys like E-Boy appearing on bags, trainers, posters etc (shame it's always the same stuff!).

I don't think this kind of thing is quite the same as the scene, though outsiders will often see a connection.
2009-10-29 17:56
Fredrik
Account closed

In fact, in modern music, I hear more and more "sidsounds" in songs. It is a revival i think.
2009-10-29 18:01
chatGPZ

revival? its "hip" - and i am glad when its over :)
2009-10-30 06:13
DemongerX
Account closed

Why do guys collect baseball cards? or are into sports? or model trains? or work on old cars? or anything else that people do that they have to justify to others. It's a bit easier for me now that I've found others locally that also have the commodore bug, but I've often tried in my mind to justify my hobby. I try to stop that now. It's like every other kind of hobby in the world. You get hooked on it, love every facet of it, and noone else seems to get it.

It's also perspective. Remember when you saw Star Wars, or The Termnator, or any other high budget movie at the theater when it came out? Now go back and watch it on dvd. Now compare the graphics/sound with what you find on youtube, or on regular tv now. The movies of old just cant compete. When we see all this little machine can be made to produce, we're in awe of it. As newbies come into the fold, their perspective is much wideer than ours is, so they blow off alot of what we show them. That and since they can do much more with their cell phone than the c64 can produce, it's easy to dismiss it.

Love it because you love it.

Nuff Said.

DemongerX
2009-10-30 08:38
ready.

Regarding my home Commodore setup:

my wife has been "devoted" to Bomberman64 and accepts some SID music (only calm and melodic stuff). She likes me being creave on the demo side, even if I learnt I cannot always code. Our 1-year daughter has always been attrated by demos running on the screen. Actually sometimes I load a demo and let her watch it just for entertainment and distraction when she cries too much.

regarding my work setup:

my colleagues and boss are amazed that I built my own stuff for work purposes and that I am actually using it with profit, proving how handy a C64 can be.
2009-10-30 08:52
chatGPZ

Quote:
That and since they can do much more with their cell phone than the c64 can produce, it's easy to dismiss it.

pah, they cant even do smooth scrolling on their damned mobile =P
2009-10-30 11:06
Carrion

My family doesn't like either the SIDs or Demos but they accept my hobby. My son prefers to play Little Big Planet on PS3 rather than Gianna Sisters on real machine, but I can live with that too.

I have some friends who know what I do (scene wise) and even if they do not understand the technical details I try to explain to them but they admire a lot my passion behind all this demoscene hype!
And it gives me a lot of strengths and makes me wanna share with them some small succesess I have on demoscene.
2009-10-30 11:29
NecroPolo

Quote: Quote:
That and since they can do much more with their cell phone than the c64 can produce, it's easy to dismiss it.

pah, they cant even do smooth scrolling on their damned mobile =P

Haha, very true :D
2009-10-30 11:41
Shadow
Account closed

Sceners with girlfriends and kids? WTF? Am I the only one keeping up the anti-social-nerd-coder stereotype nowadays? ;)
2009-10-30 11:52
Mr. SID

I'd like to see a version of this thread written by family and friends instead... :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin/F4CG
Lord Crucifier/SCS*TRC
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Fred/Channel 4
Guests online: 116
Top Demos