Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > hardest game to crack
2004-02-19 02:11
Matt

hardest game to crack

probably asked a thrillion times before; but what was the hardest, toughest, most difficult game to crack?

just out of curiousity

... 50 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-03-24 03:41
Kyle
Account closed

Paperback Writer ?

http://www.radwar.com/images/legends/
2004-03-24 07:35
Mason

I never tried to crack Paperback Writer, but I wish I had - sounds like it could have been fun

@richemp - those games you mentioned are cracked. Keep in mind romours about Pirates said that someone at Microprose stole it for Eaglesoft and could get a copy without the doc check.

2004-03-25 06:02
Fungus

For sure the hardest game to crack, is Legacy of the Ancients, as NO ONE has ever released a 100% working version. And you can ask Antitrack about that, if you dont beleive me.

In fact, no one has ever properly file cracked any of the later EA games.

Deceptor is Rapidlok, another V-max like protection, used alot on Accolade games.

Give Captain Blood a try... hmmm I have snow Strike and Stuff, those epyx vorpal shits are easy. So is that Keydos crap which Activision used.

Old Datasoft and Datamost loaders are interesting... but for real fun, try something like Dark Castle.

Only JJ of UCF cracked that one, ASk Mason for it, I gave it to him.

/Fungus
2004-03-25 13:51
Top Secret
Account closed

Hm... and what 'bout Vendetta/System 3. Never heard of 100% working version. We (with Lucky/Cult) found at least 2 protections at the very beginning. But the game fucked up l8r (level 3?)... Also there were some errors in Iron Lord's cracks...
2004-03-25 22:08
Slator

Quote: Hm... and what 'bout Vendetta/System 3. Never heard of 100% working version. We (with Lucky/Cult) found at least 2 protections at the very beginning. But the game fucked up l8r (level 3?)... Also there were some errors in Iron Lord's cracks...

Well if you speak about the game iron lord then the game fucks up because it has billions of coding flaws and bugs. MWS talked about fixing the bugs was more important than doing a proper protection on that game as there wasn't any time left before the release date. He also told me that this game never was actually bugfree :-D

2004-04-07 22:05
Count Zero

There were actually quite a few ones which were hard to crack, but 95% of even those are mostly work only. As Mason already said, evne infamous Timex and V-max were easy once you got involved.

While we are on the topic though, I TESTED TOKI !!! :)))

I downloaded ALL available version I could find, thats some 4 differently
styled Legend releases (directory art is fun, rite ?). And ofcourse the cart image itself.

To put it in a nutshell: LEGEND's release does NOT work. It was like that when it was initially released on the boards (got it off TSM back then) and it still is like that today. Tested with and without trainer on c128, c64 and emu.

It simply crashes after having defeated the first level main enemy and having loaded a few bits ...

So, there we go with boasting ... time for the Arcade version I guess ?

lol

l8r

Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC
2004-04-08 11:44
Radar
Account closed

Quote: There were actually quite a few ones which were hard to crack, but 95% of even those are mostly work only. As Mason already said, evne infamous Timex and V-max were easy once you got involved.

While we are on the topic though, I TESTED TOKI !!! :)))

I downloaded ALL available version I could find, thats some 4 differently
styled Legend releases (directory art is fun, rite ?). And ofcourse the cart image itself.

To put it in a nutshell: LEGEND's release does NOT work. It was like that when it was initially released on the boards (got it off TSM back then) and it still is like that today. Tested with and without trainer on c128, c64 and emu.

It simply crashes after having defeated the first level main enemy and having loaded a few bits ...

So, there we go with boasting ... time for the Arcade version I guess ?

lol

l8r

I think that we in Arcade didn't release it, as Toki has been released before Arcade got built... You know what I mean ;-)
2004-04-08 14:47
Graham
Account closed

and while we are at it: legends crack of gordian tomb was frozen and patched to work.
2004-04-08 17:58
Count Zero

Hartmut: only to clear the case: I was ofcourse irconically referring to the l33t Arcade stuff compared to the lame-ass Hysteric stuff.

Legend and many other "big players" on the cracking scene messed up one or the other release. Ofcourse only the hard scratches of the big groups stay on mind forever, whereas lots of other flaky stuff is just forgotten.

We could dedicate a whole website to non-working and buggy releases. :)

One always has to look at the original aswell though. Often enough these
are cover-fakes aswell and promise 256 colors :)

In the case of Toki or even that castle destroying game (ramparts or rampage ? I alwayxs mix them up :) ) Legend baldy cracked. In the special case of Toki *I* personally requested new versions from Westbam again and again ... just becoz it wasn't even working off TSM :)

cya l8r @ bp

2004-07-16 21:00
HOK/Remember
Account closed

Well, in my opinion the hardest protections you can find are properly done in-game protections most commonly used in old American games i.e. from Br0derbund or Datasoft. Especially Karateka and The Goonies, but also almost all other games from these companies feature 1 to 10 of them nice in-game protections. The first problem is to even realize that there is something like that in the game, because you have to know the game very well to even figure there is something going wrong let's say in a later level. Karateka even featured different in-game protections for Pal and Ntsc!

I am in the lucky situation to trace that fairly well, because I have most originals from those companies.

Most disk protections are rather easy to overcome once you figured out how it works.

HOK/Remember
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MMS_Z
Eclipse/Xymox
E$G/HF ⭐ 7
Guests online: 116
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)