Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What does it take to arrange a good party?
2010-01-04 14:17
Archmage

What does it take to arrange a good party?

I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

... 55 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-01-04 16:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

pussies :) infact i would put both of these very low on the "needed" list. most parties i have visited (and most of which i have helped with organising) worked out quite well without any of that old-men stuff :)
2010-01-04 18:06
JackAsser

Simply just think of what you would want on a party, personally I want the following, in priority:

1. Good party location with proper tables and chairs. Party friendly with no interrupting neighbourgs and preferably some store or other food facility near by.

2. A well organized compo. Don't repeat our mistake by having the music compo too late thus delaying the demo compo far into the night. (Same mistake as the X-organisers actually).

3. Friendly organizers that arn't too stressed.

4. Sleeping areas.

Also some general tips:

* Put plastic bags everywhere for people to throw stuff. Especially where the party is (usually outside close to the entrance).

* Take charge for the entrance fee asap, you will forget it otherwise.

* Make sure not to loose any demo entries. Use a text editor to write all the details for every submitted entry to avoid confusion the day after when u're sober.

* Take it easy when it comes to managing and don't be afraid of asking people for help. We're all adults and only a very few actually puke or destroy sometihng. Most of us are quite nice and helpful, make use of that.
2010-01-04 18:16
Yazoo

Quote: I think the location is very important, also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

If there will be a X10 than it will be most likely around October or November.

yo... i think 2 days ago burglar said on irc that there will not be an X'2010... that pretty much scared me
2010-01-04 19:04
Burglar

well, imho, its too short notice by now, we havent done anything yet...

but we should discuss things internally first.
2010-01-04 19:49
wacek

Quote: I just noticed that there will be no LCP this year. Instead of pestering people who need a deserved break to make me a party, I think it would be interesting to investigate what sort of workload it would take to arrange a small (40-50 people) C64/other 8-bit party myself. Mind you, this is just at the level of throwing ideas about.

So, you experienced party arrangers out there: what are the pitfalls and what does your checklist look like?

There is also one thing that might make this kind of hard to pull off, and that is the fact that I live in Oslo, Norway. So you Swedes, Danes and other EU citizens - hypothetically - if a party in the southern part of Norway seemed well arranged and cosy and not too expensive in itself - would you consider coming?

Nothing can screw up a great party like a messed up big screen or beamer. Make sure colours are displayed correctly, use quality connections like s-video etc. (where are you Carrion?) ;) Same for sound system. For me that's one technicality that in most cases gets forgotten / low-prioritized.

With cheap airlines / fares availabl Oslo seems considerable from PL perspective ;)
2010-01-04 20:26
DeeKay

May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)
I have tested its c64-awesomeness with several NUFLI pictures on a TW-1000 and since I was so amazed by it i actually went out and got myself a TW-2000, primarily because of the awesome c64 picture! ;-) The pixels are so crisp and the colors are so good, you'll only believe it if you've seen it yourself!
It has some magic gadgetry that makes scrollers super smooth, that occasionally mispinterprets a pixel here and there which looks like a bug when scrolling, but apart from that it's absolutely flawless! Weasel and Widdy can confirm this! ;-D
2010-01-04 20:36
DeeKay

Quote: Quote:
also good shower and sleeping facilities for a party that takes 3 days would be needed.

pussies :) infact i would put both of these very low on the "needed" list. most parties i have visited (and most of which i have helped with organising) worked out quite well without any of that old-men stuff :)

Haha, i was just about to write the same thing! ;-D

Sleeping, showers... tsih!... What's next? "Seminars and liveact is a must"?
2010-01-04 20:57
wacek

Quote: May I suggest the Epson EMP TW-1000 or -2000 for a projector? ;-)
I have tested its c64-awesomeness with several NUFLI pictures on a TW-1000 and since I was so amazed by it i actually went out and got myself a TW-2000, primarily because of the awesome c64 picture! ;-) The pixels are so crisp and the colors are so good, you'll only believe it if you've seen it yourself!
It has some magic gadgetry that makes scrollers super smooth, that occasionally mispinterprets a pixel here and there which looks like a bug when scrolling, but apart from that it's absolutely flawless! Weasel and Widdy can confirm this! ;-D

I confirm also great quality on InFocus Screenplay 4805 via s-video. Does nice progressive scanning so all 50fps stuff is flawless, and in great colours since this is DLP not LCD :)
2010-01-04 21:00
DeeKay

Argh DLP, my eyes hurt! ;-) Triple LCD is teh rawk!
Besides Infocus is not only a cheapo-brand, but also pretty much toast, ask Widdy, he knows! ;-D
2010-01-04 21:58
MagerValp

By far the hardest piece of the puzzle seems to be the location. You need something close enough to civilization that people can go there by bus or train, and buy food, but secluded enough that you can have drunk people make noise throughout the night. It also needs to strike a balance between being cozy and/or having a good vibe, and rough enough that a few tags, stickers and beer spills don't matter.

Once you have a location, the rest is just work and money.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DJ Gruby/TRiAD
Guests online: 69
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)