Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > nominations for scenery
2002-10-17 16:58
Menace

nominations for scenery

If I could just have a moment or two of your time... :) I'd love some help nominating the top scene productions for each year for scenery64. These can be anything from 4k's to demos to diskmags or slideshows or whatever - as long as they are outstanding productions. Look at Scenery itself for examples on what I mean (for amiga and pc) - and you'll also notice a distinct LACK of these for the c64.

Help me set the record straight for history :)

Submissions here or to my email; glennlu.nospam@c2i.net - without the nospam part ;)

menace/spaceballs^scenery project

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-10-22 18:23
TDJ

I don't. It looks like it is managed by somebody with hardly any real affection with the c64 scene. Might not be true, but it looks that way.

I have no problem with it existing, I just don't feel it's worth wasting energy on. There are enough similiar projects going on managed by real c64 sceners.
2002-10-24 08:00
Menace

Hollowman: Seeing as several people obviously liked this demo, I wanted to go back and have a second look, to see if there was something I'd missed. Demoreviewing is a subjective matter, no matter how you look at it. It all basically comes down to this: Did I like it or did I not. Sometimes your opinion changes over time. I did not say 'I will change the review, I feel differently now', I said 'I will take another look'. Can we put this matter to rest now? I'm sorry if you felt offended that I gave your demo a bad review. I did not intend to offend anyone.

As for emulators, your point is well taken. I agree.

Shokray: Thanks, I _am_ concentrating on expanding it. Please understand, though, that there is only one person working on s64, and that I've got other projects and real-life obligations also, so it evolves SLOWLY. :)

TDJ: Sorry that you don't like the project, but I can assure you I do have affection for the c64 scene. I saw my very first demos on the c64 way back in 1987, something which led to a love for demos (on all platforms) that extends upto today. Scenery64 is not there for anyone to 'waste their energy' on. It's something I do because I enjoy it, and because hopefully someone can find some use for it as reference material. As for us (spb) not being 'real c64 sceners', we are working on that :) See our debut demo "Outsider" from asm02, and await further productions in the not-too-distant future.
2002-10-24 11:54
TDJ

Menace, I don't doubt your affection with the scene, but that's different from being a 'real' scener in my opinion, somebody who has really taken part in it and is part of it so to speak.

I myself have been in amiga crews (like the famous Digital Force back in the 80's) and pc crews (like Analogue), even a SNES group but always considered myself a c64 scener first and would never try setting up a project like scenery for the other scenes, simply because I know too little about them even though I spend quite some time there.

There is a lot of imcomplete and incorrect information on your page, and I'm not even going to start on its (lack of) readability. Honestly, I think the only way to really get that thing going is to start from the ground up, but why do that if you already have similiar projects by people who know so much more about the c64 scene?

Just my 2 euro cents ..
2002-10-24 15:17
Shadow
Account closed

Wow, I don't understand why you are giving Menace such a hard time. I think the scenery is a nice collection of party-results etc.
2002-10-24 15:58
CyberBrain
Administrator

Posts: 56I also had a look at scenery64, and discovered that it's a site where i've got some quite useful info from some time ago. (f.e. i used it when i needed to add some old demos to CSDb some time ago, to get the party results (etc) right)
2002-10-24 20:25
TDJ

Quote: Wow, I don't understand why you are giving Menace such a hard time. I think the scenery is a nice collection of party-results etc.

I'm not giving him a hard time, I just feel that if you do something, you should do it right and not give information of which I cannot be sure it is correct. Because there are a lot of errors in there ..

Case in question, just take a look at the memberlist of Focus. Remember that we've only had Dutch members.
2002-10-25 21:00
hollowman

i love the c64 scene so i publish memberstatus of flt that was valid for one brief week in 97...

anyway, i dont care about bad rewiews, feedback isnt all that good but i dont like it when someone tries to scare off potential viewers from a demo. i dont like deus ex machine but i know why certain people like it so if someone ask for a good c64 demo i'll show it, no matter my opinion. thats all
2002-10-26 08:32
zyruz
Account closed

Yes!

..me is not the only one, who dislikes Deus ex Machina.. ;)=
2002-10-26 12:19
Dane
Account closed

I've always thought 'deus ex machina' is a terrible way of ending a play as well. Uncreative writing.
2002-10-28 13:48
Menace

Make no mistake, I am eternally sorry if information in scenery does not reflect the truth. It is _not_ my intention to spread false information at all, and if I did it's only because I've been misinformed... Please feel free to mail me any errors, and I will certainly do my best to correct them. Scenery64 *IS* incomplete and full of errors, I am aware of this. I work to correct them all, but sometimes even the reference material (demos/cracks/mags) is not truthful, or incomplete, so figuring out everything takes time and effort. Again, you can all help out if you want to. Thanks for your input, everyone.

It is true that I have actually never taken ACTIVE part in the demoscene apart from making Scenery. I have been active in the video piracy scene, but ofcourse it is not the same. I have, however, joined an active demo group now, and we are working on several demo projects - for the amiga and the c64.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Andy/AEG
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Six/G★P
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Guests online: 121
Top Demos