Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Looking for GFX and CODE for a game...
2006-01-24 15:11
madcrow
Account closed

Looking for GFX and CODE for a game...

I've had a brilliant idea for a graphical adventure game for the C64, but am totally incompetent at pixeling and coding. Therefore I ask the help of the scene to make the best C64 adevture game ever. I have a plot written and am planning on writing the script, I just need somebody to either point out or code a nice graphics enigine (a la Maniac Mansion or Zak McCracken) and draw some graphics. I will wrie the script, design the gameplay, etc. More info about the plot and stuffa available on request.
--------------------------------------
please have pity on the n00bish emu kiddie responsible for the post above.

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-01-28 10:22
T.M.R
Account closed

They did? Bloody hell, i was pretty impressed already and i've never even tried that kind of engine!
2006-01-28 18:05
chatGPZ

@tmr: the original scumm v1 engine (which was used for the c64 games) uses a crazy mix of interpreted scripts and embedded machine code, then there is a simple form of virtual memory, a custom filesystem/discformat and some other nifty stuff. it must have been a lot of hard work to make those games work at all.... no wonder they had a *huge* team working on it back then.
2006-01-29 19:22
madcrow
Account closed

Quote: @tmr: the original scumm v1 engine (which was used for the c64 games) uses a crazy mix of interpreted scripts and embedded machine code, then there is a simple form of virtual memory, a custom filesystem/discformat and some other nifty stuff. it must have been a lot of hard work to make those games work at all.... no wonder they had a *huge* team working on it back then.

The fact that so much of the game logic is embedded in the engine itself rather than in the scripts is one reason you I couldn't just rip off SCUMM v1 and create new scripts and resources...
-------------------------------------
2006-01-31 18:39
PopMilo

@MADCROW

Have you tried CCS64 ? It works better then VICE in some cases... Adventure game without graphics can be fun, but you get much much more attention with it... So try GraphicAdventureCreator and CCS64. Although its not the adventure like scumm it can be pretty...

I agree with what someone said before: I have tons of ideas every week, but to little time to make an honest effort.. :( So anything that gets you moving is OK.

@WVL
Could you be more specific at where is that info in PD64 on masking? thanks...
2006-02-01 08:12
WVL

hey popmilo :

you can dl the devpack from http://www.interstyles.nl/Dev.rar.

the most important routine you should look for is inside /source/MAIN.txt and is called "calcclippedsprite".

the masking-data it needs are insidie /includes/[ignition/nightmare]/source/maps.txt

those datas are made using a black&white greyscale .pcx file, that is converted with the PDtool, and two ugly DOS-tools.. (i think I should make 1 big tool for it someday..). There's a topic in coding forums about the crunchcharset-tool :)

Anyway, some basic things :

the maskdata is stored using a 'charset' of 8x8 blocks, and a 'screen', which is similar to a normal c64 screen, pointing to the chars..

now ofcourse the tool removes all unneccesary chars, trying to fit in <$100 chars (nightmare uses around $a8 chars iirc)..

next up is RLE-packing and dual-line removing of the screen-data, and finally the charset data is 'packed', by merging as many of the data as possible and generating a pointer table.

example :

say char 0 is like $ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
and char 1 is like 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,$55
now the tool will compact those into $ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,$55, and char 0 will have a pointer to the start, and char 1 to the 2nd byte, sounds easy, but not easy to 'compute' a optimal solution...
2006-02-01 12:53
Oswald

looks like monkey island is the holy grail of c64 game coders :) I bet that the maniac mansion engine is could be more efficient. bet it doesnt realtime rle depack room screen data, and there's no packed data on disk at all.

afterall how much data you need for a room ? only sideways scrolling.. a 2-3 screen room is max 0c00 (screen)+ 0800 (chars) = $1400, stuff like paths can be built into screen data, etc. I always thought while playing the game that it loads too much, and too long.
2006-02-01 16:05
chatGPZ

the screens/rooms and maps arent the problem....those are relativly static and occupy relativly little memory... the big problem is the data for all manipulateable objects, that must be kept over the whole game, much of it isnt static at all. in maniac mansion and zak they had to resort to dividing the game into relativly small "chapters".
2006-02-01 17:30
Oswald

ok, data for all objects, how about 1 byte / object ?
2006-02-01 17:56
chatGPZ

explain how you are putting all the flags and states into one byte :) also dont underestimate the amount of non static data needed by all the scripts that can be triggered by every object.
2006-02-01 20:14
madcrow
Account closed

Quote: @MADCROW

Have you tried CCS64 ? It works better then VICE in some cases... Adventure game without graphics can be fun, but you get much much more attention with it... So try GraphicAdventureCreator and CCS64. Although its not the adventure like scumm it can be pretty...

I agree with what someone said before: I have tons of ideas every week, but to little time to make an honest effort.. :( So anything that gets you moving is OK.

@WVL
Could you be more specific at where is that info in PD64 on masking? thanks...

I've switched to GAC. Turns out it works in VICE after all.

My website and a first screenshot are now up. Check it out at http://www.cbm8.net/adventrix
--------------------------------------
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
duce/extend
Knobby/Role
CopAss/Leader
Clown
Guests online: 375