Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > First raster split?
2010-07-05 20:55
Trap

First raster split?

Something that's been on my mind for years ... wonder if I will ever find the answer:

Who did the first real raster split? I did mine in 1987, but I don't think I was the first?

Trap Crap Wrap

... 26 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-17 17:55
Danzig

yeah, the term "raster split" or "raster interrupt" was used when splitting the screen in different areas (like bitmap on top and char at the bottom).

the term "splitraster" was used for vertical splits.

today it makes me smile as its just swapped words :)
2010-07-17 18:21
JCB
Account closed

It was (and still is to me) a vertical split.

The raster is as far as we were concerned a whole screen thing, I don't think I've seen any definition anywhere saying a raster is a single line, that's a scanline. That's why a raster split was any line splitting the screen into more than 1 section from the scanline you made the chnage. Then when we worked out about timing and cycles/scanline and got stable "vertical" ones happening the screen was now split the other way so we called them vertical splits..

That's my memory of it all anyway. :)

Just out of interest, over in Atari land they tend to call them "mid scanline changes"

Pete
2010-07-17 18:57
Oswald

I'm a late comer to the scene (96) and for me raster split was always the vertical split. All demos called them like that I've seen. This is the first time I hear that a simple mode change once pr frame should be called raster split.
2010-07-17 19:13
JCB
Account closed

Quote: I'm a late comer to the scene (96) and for me raster split was always the vertical split. All demos called them like that I've seen. This is the first time I hear that a simple mode change once pr frame should be called raster split.

I think a lot of stuff like this also depends what country you're from..

Pete
2010-07-17 19:19
JCB
Account closed

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzap23/mental1.html

"I've started thinking about sprite usage - and since I like the use of no on-screen distracting text I don't need a raster splitting system to split the screen. The 'in' thing seems to be to use more than eight sprites on screen, so I'm thinking of running about 32 sprites simultaneously, without glitches or 'airborne trousers'. Stand on top of the first tombstone in G'n'G and wait for a couple of minutes for the latter effect! I think I can avoid embarassments like that."

Braybrook learned most of his "jargon" and a good few techniques from Cnetters..

Pete
2010-07-17 19:33
Oswald

Quote: I think a lot of stuff like this also depends what country you're from..

Pete

Rather on the era you've learnt these things in. Looks like the pioneers called even the basic stuff a split, but since then that has changed.
2010-07-17 19:46
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Rather on the era you've learnt these things in. Looks like the pioneers called even the basic stuff a split, but since then that has changed.

Maybe so. Does that mean newer is more correct? Go read the definition of Raster. To my understanding any definition has nothing to do with a single line so to split a "raster" is to do it anywhere on a line or a whole screen. There's still plenty of people using that definition now but maybe they just learned from us old guys :)

2010-07-17 19:53
Oswald

everyone is correct. the pioneers use it that way, the newer ones in another way.
2010-07-17 22:53
Shadow
Account closed

Back when I started (1988) "raster split" was only used in the vertical-split meaning as far as I can recall.
But given that C64 coding had a 6-year history already then, I guess terminology could have changed.

That is rather interesting btw. to think of how much was left to discover! I mean, 1988 - 6 years - should be enough to find out most stuff?
But I would say that the 'new inventions era' stretched all the way to 92 or so.
Sure there are new tricks being found now as well, but it seems that the first years (say 82-86 or so) was more about using the 'standard' features, and then 86-92 was the golden age of the VIC-trick era, as new discoveries exploded, much thank to the demoscene.

Eh, guess I rambled away on a tangent there...
2010-07-18 00:40
LocalH
Account closed

Quite technically, the "official" Commodore definition of raster means the scanning of the screen:

Quote:
RASTER REGISTER

The raster register is found in the VIC-II chip at location 53266
($D012). The raster register is a dual purpose register. When you read
this register it returns the lower 8 bits of the current raster position.
The raster position of the most significant bit is in register location
53265 ($D011). You use the raster register to set up timing changes in
your display so that you can get rid of screen flicker. The changes on
your screen should be mode when the raster is not in the visible display
area, which is when your dot positions fall between 51 and 251.
When the raster register is written to (including the MSB) the number
written to is saved for use with the raster compare function. When the
actual raster value becomes the same as the number written to the raster
register, a bit in the VIC-II chip interrupt register 53273 ($D019) is
turned ON by setting it to 1.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Matt
Bieno/Commodore Plus
Krill/Plush
WVL/Xenon
Guests online: 59
Top Demos