Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > 4k game coding compo anyone?
2005-10-18 12:38
BastetFurry

4k game coding compo anyone?

Just gathering if anybody has interest in a 4k game coding compo.
It should be made from scratch using your favorite assembler.
Everything has to be done inside these 4k, no packers.
The only thing that dosnt count for the 4k limit is a basic loader, this makes the life of the judges easier.

So, what i need are some trustfull judges and people who want to participate.
Deadline would be the 15. January 2006.

Any interests?
2005-10-18 12:41
JackAsser

no packers? so, where do you draw the line of what's a packer and what is not. For instance, if I make some tiny code generator that generates tons on tables, it's a form of depacker.

I recommend everything has to fit in 4096 bytes (excluding start address) no matter what.
2005-10-18 12:46
BastetFurry

That what i meant, 4kbyte of assembler code.
You do not need to count a basic loader so that you dont scrap 30 or so bytes for some user friendlyness.

$0800 - Basic Loader + 4 kbyte of your code, nothing more nothing less.

EDIT: Ok, less allowed ;)

I think we should discuss what is allowed and what not.
IMO, Codesize is limited to 4 kbyte, useage of full memory for tables, yes, but still no packed code!
2005-10-18 13:07
JackAsser

But honestly, if someone want to use exomizer then let them.... :D If you on the other hand makes your own packer specially made for your kind of data which will yield perhaps twice as good result as exomizer, then it's just 1337.

4kb of binary code which is a game, then exactly what kind of 4kb is up to the coder IMO. If someone wanna bloat the first 1Kb with a depacker, then let them.
2005-10-18 13:56
Frantic

Bastet: So people are not allowed to represent for example a series of colors (used by their code) in a smart (compact) way? (No packing!) Everything has to be maximally bloated? :)

I think Jackasser is just right when pointing out that there is no such limit. There is always a trade off between whats represented as code and what's represented as data. The only possible rule I can think of is to prohibit the use of someone elses packer for packing your own data.

Just doing some forum posts because I'm bored at work atm. I won't participate in any case, so perhaps I shouldn't even open my mouth in the discussion. :)
2005-10-18 14:09
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: Just gathering if anybody has interest in a 4k game coding compo.
It should be made from scratch using your favorite assembler.
Everything has to be done inside these 4k, no packers.
The only thing that dosnt count for the 4k limit is a basic loader, this makes the life of the judges easier.

So, what i need are some trustfull judges and people who want to participate.
Deadline would be the 15. January 2006.

Any interests?

The no packers rule is stupid - but files must be executable, of course. THat said...

There is already one of these right now (http://ffd2.com/minigame), who are plannig to start earlier next year, ostensibly.

There is also one other compo which I'm not supposed to talk about (but that I'm not involved with the organisation of) ostensibly coming later this year, but I don't know if they'll get their act together since the main organiser of that just got a new job.

Of course I actively support this, and if you do organise it you can expect go(v) to get behind it. But did you consider not limiting it to 4k? Because that's been kind of done alreday....
2005-10-18 14:10
Burn

There are several rules for 4K-Intro-Compos. Why not taking those? - 4K is 4K regardless of its kind. You don't have to reinvent the wheel!
2005-10-18 21:33
carlsson

If you wish to deinspire (?) people from using packers, you should consider a 1K game compo instead. The MiniGame compo as linked to above, has run both classes for a few years. Although Wyndex' xip will shave a few bytes off a 1K entry, traditional packers often would be a waste on the tight code and data required within 1K.

By the way, a Basic stub is no more than 12 bytes, possibly even less if you know what you are doing.
2005-10-18 22:14
BastetFurry

I talked with Copyfault and i cant say anything versus packers anymore *g*
But still one exeption versus other compos and i hope this will not be any problems for you all. The BASIC-Loader does not count as code. Its just better than some SYS somewhere command
2005-10-19 09:15
Devia

..so if my BASIC loader was really badly coded and accidentally happened to create loads of garbage data that my badly coded game code accidentally happened to use in some ways, that would be OK?

MHO: Limit the filesize to 4k and just state that it must be RUN-able from BASIC... just like the 4k demo compos, to avoid misunderstandings and potential "cheating".
2005-10-19 09:34
TDJ

This reminds me of a 64k pc intro from my old group Analogue, done by Hugo. He had managed to create a fantastic piece of work with lots of raytraced stuff etc, and a great tune by Jeroen Tel. The only problem: it needed several minutes of depacking before it actually started .. suffice to say that it didn't score very high in the compo ..

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRyk/MYD!
Mason/Unicess
Flavioweb/🇮🇹HF..
Krill/Plush
Guests online: 117
Top Demos