Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > c64 for arts sake
2005-12-12 17:30
burton1
Account closed

c64 for arts sake

i am using the c64 for an art work which i am making at present, as such i am having to teach myself from scratch to operate and program the c64. i am still struggling with the technical aspects of the project so any help would be muchly appreciated. the project goes a little something like this;
4 c64s are to be networked.
each c64 is to run a program which randomly selects a piece of info from a list (at present i am trying to write this program and utilize the random number generator built into basic however the command which looks a little like this,
1 X=INT(RND(1)*(20-3)+3)
2 GOTO X
3 PRINT"...
4 PRINT"...
does not want to work) and then the data is to be sent over the network to the 4th c64 which compiles the data and prints it out on my printer as well as dropping it into an e-mail which will then be sent out to set addresses.
i am at the moment hoping to build "the final ethernet" from the schematics on the TFE website and use contici as my server and e-mail client.
if anyone has any advise to do with any aspect i would be extremely, extremely grateful.
thanks

... 6 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-12-13 08:34
Slartibartfast
Account closed

Hrm. Seems more like "C64 for insanity's sake".

Burton: You'd be best posting something like this on comp.sys.cbm
2005-12-13 09:05
Graham
Account closed

I remember that in one issue of the 64'er magazine there was a description how to do a GOTO X.
2005-12-13 09:27
JackAsser

@Oswald: Sorry man, but hey I'm not the BASIC coder, YOU are!! (ProjectOne =) )
2005-12-13 16:12
Oswald

jackasser: hehe, ok I have to admit, I first learned c64 basic, and been coding stuff in it for years before going for asm.
2005-12-13 17:22
burton1
Account closed

sorry if people keep seeing this same question pop up all over the place but i have had so little luck so far that i hit every c64 forum i could find with the same question hoping to get a responce that worked. as for this having already been answered on lemon64 it was and i tried it and i could not get it to work, and as for the answer on lemon64 about arrays; I AM A BIT SLOW (ie i didnt know what they where on about as i am very new to all the jargon). sorry for being a bit slow in that respect, as someone said to me today "you are on the steep part of the learning curve".
cheers for all the help so far please keep hitting me with your ideas.

p.s the reason the ethernet conection is there is that i am hopeing to use contici to email out the information compiled from the other machines that are networked to allow a basic random art generator. which if you like may be C64 for insanity's sake but it is bloody good fun learning how to do it, and surely that is the point of the forum.

thanks again
2005-12-13 18:15
iopop

You dont happen to have a website with project info etc as I guess you're into "New Media". Or just a webpage with your other stuff would be kinda interesting to see aswell..

The reason why Im asking is that I made a similar tool some week ago, but in c. Using lyrics from serveral different groups, breaking on "\n" and compiliing into a long text. Gives very interesting results. Another fact that this program uses "illegal information", if Lauren Keiser has his/her will, makes it even more interesting.
2005-12-13 22:13
Slartibartfast
Account closed

Quote: sorry if people keep seeing this same question pop up all over the place but i have had so little luck so far that i hit every c64 forum i could find with the same question hoping to get a responce that worked. as for this having already been answered on lemon64 it was and i tried it and i could not get it to work, and as for the answer on lemon64 about arrays; I AM A BIT SLOW (ie i didnt know what they where on about as i am very new to all the jargon). sorry for being a bit slow in that respect, as someone said to me today "you are on the steep part of the learning curve".
cheers for all the help so far please keep hitting me with your ideas.

p.s the reason the ethernet conection is there is that i am hopeing to use contici to email out the information compiled from the other machines that are networked to allow a basic random art generator. which if you like may be C64 for insanity's sake but it is bloody good fun learning how to do it, and surely that is the point of the forum.

thanks again

Actually, the point of this forum is coding for the c64 demo scene. Not BASIC programming, not wacko "arty" over ambitious projects made in BASIC, sorry man but that's not what these forums are for.

Ok, it just had to be said!

On the other hand, I think there's another forum perfectly suited to your thing. It's called "The Secret Society of Commodore Coders" and a few BASIC programming experts hang out over there, as well as those interested in expanding basic with ML.

http://ssocc.proboards45.com/

Enjoy ;)
2005-12-13 22:47
TNT
Account closed

Quoting Slarti
Actually, the point of this forum is coding for the c64 demo scene. Not BASIC programming ...

What about those 52 BASIC Demos in CSDb?
2005-12-13 23:04
Slartibartfast
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Slarti
Actually, the point of this forum is coding for the c64 demo scene. Not BASIC programming ...

What about those 52 BASIC Demos in CSDb?

Ah well, they should never have been included here, but then so much that shouldn't has been, so it's almost not even a scene database anymore.

Hrm, no need for a flame war about that, been done before.
2005-12-14 00:56
bugjam

I would actually be very much interested in the progress of your project, burton, I think C64 is a very good tool to do art. And the more "insane" the better! :-) Hope you get your problems solved, good luck anyway!
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
CA$H/TRiAD
TheRyk/MYD!
Guests online: 131
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)