Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > is a split sideborder scroll done before??
2008-11-13 14:51
Testa
Account closed

is a split sideborder scroll done before??

high party people.

the last days i was bussy with coding a sideborder split scroll. with a split scroll i simply mean a scroll that scrolls the left 20 chars to the left and the right 20 chars to the right. through the sideborders... smooth ofcourse and i only used sprites in the sideborder, so no ugly extented graphics...

not very hard to code but i had some fun... the question i have is this done before and is there a record.. my version holds 25 chars high, and you only can use one speed... it scrolls the whole picture one pixel each frame...

i am curious.
greetings,
Testa

2008-11-13 15:22
CreaMD

Don't talk. Release it. If you need music, just ask.

Roman
2008-11-13 15:28
Testa
Account closed

yeah i know, the problem is that iam the only member of our group that is active and i am not good at all in drawing graphics or composing music... so this is my way to share my stuff with you, but i promise you that i release something soon... no problem.... i am working on a demo for a few years now and it would be pretty strange to release nothing at all, i just want to release something really nice and not something that is done a lot before.. i also needed some time (years) to learn how to code...

i already have contacted some sceners from other groups but the communication about what to do is poor. mabey i join a group witch is more active. but i really like silicon.. it is dutch and is a fun group..... well you know what i mean...

2008-11-13 15:59
Sander

Ofcourse! Silicon rocks.
And afaik they're not totally inactive.
2008-11-13 19:23
Scout

Quote: Ofcourse! Silicon rocks.
And afaik they're not totally inactive.

uh huh! =)
2008-11-13 20:51
Testa
Account closed

hehe yeah scout i know, according to your 1326 posts you are very active in the c64 scene.. i mean coding this old 8 bitter... but you already did know that... anyway i have send TIM a PM and i hope he has the time to make some nice graphics and i hope that you want to compose some weird tunes for me.... please....

2008-11-13 21:03
Scout

Quote: hehe yeah scout i know, according to your 1326 posts you are very active in the c64 scene.. i mean coding this old 8 bitter... but you already did know that... anyway i have send TIM a PM and i hope he has the time to make some nice graphics and i hope that you want to compose some weird tunes for me.... please....

Well, 90% of those 1326 posts is nagging, nitpicking and about wishing back the old days =)
Yep, I'm an old sock. Hehehe :)

About the tunes: of course!
2008-11-13 21:14
Testa
Account closed

Quote: Well, 90% of those 1326 posts is nagging, nitpicking and about wishing back the old days =)
Yep, I'm an old sock. Hehehe :)

About the tunes: of course!

well i just say i love you!... but i still don't know if a split siderborder scroller is done before.....
2008-11-13 21:20
Oswald

dont think so.
2008-11-14 21:07
Danzig

Hey Testa, still don't know if you mean something like in this:
Happy New Year 2008
[/url]

just a shitty 1x1-d016-split-borderscroller I did in 1993... definately your version sounds like pushing limits \ö/
2008-11-15 02:28
Testa
Account closed

yes Danzig something like that but i use another technique. .i ques you don't splitscroll any graphics at the bad line.. just a small charset 5 or 6 pixels high...
not the full 8 pixels so you can avoid badlines..

hint.. how do you want to split $d016 at the middle of the screen with openborders and 4 sprites at a badline??....
... wel you can't... still it is possible.. but i tell ya.. no splits at the badlines...

2008-11-15 06:02
Oswald

hmm really, what happens if one splits d016 in the middle of a line ? :) fex. fineshift=0 on the left side then 7 in the middle then simply d021 comes through where the screen is "teared appart" ? :) is this possible with d011 or one of the known d011 effects will come alive, or nothing? :)
2008-11-15 10:53
doynax
Account closed

Quote: hmm really, what happens if one splits d016 in the middle of a line ? :) fex. fineshift=0 on the left side then 7 in the middle then simply d021 comes through where the screen is "teared appart" ? :) is this possible with d011 or one of the known d011 effects will come alive, or nothing? :)

I expect x scrolling works much like y scrolling or the sideborders. That is the register value is used simply to determine when to start a process, in this case on which sub-cycle in the left border to start clocking pixels through the display shift register.
In other words I don't expect changing the x fine-scroll in the middle of a scanline to change anything.
2008-11-15 12:34
WVL

Quote: Hey Testa, still don't know if you mean something like in this:
Happy New Year 2008
[/url]

just a shitty 1x1-d016-split-borderscroller I did in 1993... definately your version sounds like pushing limits \ö/

obviously this isnt a d016 split ;) but more like a rol/asl scroller. (it looks nice tho! :D)
2008-11-15 12:36
WVL

Quote: I expect x scrolling works much like y scrolling or the sideborders. That is the register value is used simply to determine when to start a process, in this case on which sub-cycle in the left border to start clocking pixels through the display shift register.
In other words I don't expect changing the x fine-scroll in the middle of a scanline to change anything.

Ofcourse it does :( How else do you think Cruzer made those rocking highres arrows in the lower border + 8 sprites in One Year Camelot III? Or the 41 column wide picture Soundemon made in Tense Years?
2008-11-15 14:38
JackAsser

Quote: Ofcourse it does :( How else do you think Cruzer made those rocking highres arrows in the lower border + 8 sprites in One Year Camelot III? Or the 41 column wide picture Soundemon made in Tense Years?

40.875 if I may...

:D

I split hair and you split registers.
2008-11-15 14:56
Testa
Account closed

Quote: obviously this isnt a d016 split ;) but more like a rol/asl scroller. (it looks nice tho! :D)

yeps, but totally rol/asl a 40 by 25 chars picture is impossible ofcourse.. i used $d016 splits but not at the badlines. at the badlines , and only at the right half of the picture i use ror to scroll the graphics, so i role 25 * 20 bytes.. the ror speedcode is mixed with the rastercode of the sideborder routine..

i also used different screens to scroll all the charpointers... dma delay is not an option here and read and restore all the charpointers takes too much rastertime, so i used different screens and clever memory management...

to move all the graphics through the sideborder, i use different frames (this is why you can only use one scroll speed) and i also used double buffers for the sprites so you simply can change all the spritepointers at the right moment..

one min point of this story is that you can't show/scroll any new graphics... the distance between both halfs simply gets bigger until the whole picture is gone.... (oswald: i hope this is what you mean)

this way splitscrolling a 25 by 40 chars picture is no problem at all, i am suprised this isn't done before..
it is not hard at all.... well i hope i explained enough now.. becoz i gave away a pefectly nice little effect now,..... but you are welcome....

and one last hint.. you can also use a 52 chars wide sideborder picture, too make it even more cooler...

and when you have scrolled 16 chars and there are 24 chars left you can always switch to a 8 sprite sideborder routine (only sprites) and scroll the remaining chars in different speeds (to polish the effect more)... but if you do this there is not much free memory left i am afraid..... (becoz the remaining 24 graphic chars must be converted to sprites aswell)

greetings,
Testa

2008-11-15 18:08
Danzig

Quote: Ofcourse it does :( How else do you think Cruzer made those rocking highres arrows in the lower border + 8 sprites in One Year Camelot III? Or the 41 column wide picture Soundemon made in Tense Years?

it IS a $d016-splitscroller. An easy one 7 pixels, no badline. it was just a proove of concept back then. at time I was in Comic Pirates, PJ Dynamix did that routine with a 2x2-scroller skipping the badline (it's black in the font :D ) and no sideborder. I told him that would have been cool in border and he claimed: Not possible!

Testa: Sure you can do a larger one. just skip the badlines and change the font. remember: april 1993 ;)
2008-11-15 18:27
Testa
Account closed

danzig, i am not sure what you mean with bigger, i already used 192 graphics lines and black lines each bad line is not good enough for me.. .. just read the post before yours , everthing is there....

have a nice weekend!
bye
2008-11-15 20:13
Danzig

you got me wrong :) i mean you can make it BIGGER than my old 7 pixel version.

but the question was: done before? answer: yes ;)

EDIT: and NO, I don't want a world first entry on codebase for that crap :D
2008-11-15 20:41
Testa
Account closed

crab? you mean those nice tastefull red lobsters???? he he...
2008-11-16 08:48
doynax
Account closed

Oh.. Well, sorry about that.

So then what do you get inbetween the splits, $d021, recycled graphics, or something else entirely? I guess I could spend five minutes to write a test for it myself, but where's the fun in that ;)
2008-11-16 15:05
The Phantom

Are you talking about this?

Wicked

Part 0c, on side 2 (shown in the release picture). I think I did 15 1x1 multispeed scrollers, next to a 15 line logo swing. It all uses $d016 and the bad lines are used on the 1x1 side. I forgot how ugly that "big ol' sprite" was in the middle. Think it was also covering some bad screen cuts. It's 10 years old, I didn't know any better :)

I never thought of doing a split scroller in the sideborders, sounds like a nice idea. I won't code it though, I've enough problems with my border routines, haha.

If you need a logo, give me specs, I'd be happy to draw something up for ya...
2008-11-16 17:41
Testa
Account closed

Phantom thanks for the offer!.. for this effect i already have found somebody. but if you want, you can make some graphics for the demo i am making?.... would be nice..

about sideborder routines, it really isn't difficult at all, come on and go for it....

about your split effect in Wicked: nice idea and nice little production..

greetings
Testa
2008-11-16 17:48
Hein

Paragon

then again, that's too obvious and with the number of sprites, badlines prevent this from going into the sideborder ofcourse. Still, looks cute.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Tchad/Jam
grasstust/Hoaxers
encore
chesser/Nigaz
TheRyk/MYD!
iAN CooG/HVSC