Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #219898 : Shipwar II
2022-07-22 08:38
TheRyk

Release id #219898 : Shipwar II

Moved here from Comments

Quote:
User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 22 July 2022
I don't believe this is by NATO, as the content on this Swedish disk (Gekko's old disk) is from 86-87 something.

===
How sure is Iron anyway?

NATO had some Iron Dragon but that one was from US, would definetely not have confused ship and chip.

My guess is, the dude is from some completely different "NATO", probably _not_ North Atlantic Trading Organization (USA) either.
@"Swedish disk"... well, it probably can't talk to us and I'm not an expert in SWEnglish
BUT:
Packed with Compacker/The ACC (German group) plus the terrible DEnglish ("yes, you have right" instead of "yes, you are right") might point to German origin, only some smartassing guesswork, too, however.
2022-07-22 08:51
hedning

Yes. It's, as said, probably some other unknown NATO. And the DEnglish checks out as perfect SWEnglish too. Iron could of course be some other Iron, but my guess is still the Swedish Iron. I'll remove the Swedish Iron for now, but I will explain how I came up with my guess:

The disk was once Gekko's (tagged), and the rest of the content on the disk is Swedish. Gekko and Nashua (who's stuff is also on the disk) are also greeting "Iron of NATO" in their 1987 demos Master Demo 1 and Star Paws Demo. Nashua lived in Skövde, 19 km from Iron btw.

A-side had stuff from Swedish member Mr.Gurk of The Coca Cola Crackers, a German group, with Swedish members as well, obviously, if we are not dealing with two different CCC here: One German, and one Swedish CCC (With members Mr.Zerox and Mr.Gurk).

The greets points towards Scandinavia: Computer Cracking Team (Sweden), Wizax (Denmark), Triangle (Denmark), Relax (Sweden), Fairlight (Sweden), most surely Super Swap Sweden and Front (Sweden), and most of all, more personal greets to Swedish sceners Powerfrog, and Agent 007.

(But sure: also The Fanatic Duo (Germany) is greeted, as well as Commando Frontier (Belgium).)

What convinced me that Iron is the Swedish Iron is that he greets the pretty unknown scener Powerfrog, that lived in the same small town as the Swedish Iron: Tibro in Sweden, and that "Iron of NATO" is greeted in small Swedish demos by Gekko and Nashua. His SWEnglish is also well preserved in his other productions, see his Tronix demos.

The ACC packer might point to Germany, but these packers travelled as well, and could have been used by anyone on the planet.

For now, let's hope more info will come up about this unknown Iron of NATO. I have asked Powerslave and Rowdy, who knew Iron back then.

All the files on disk are from 1987 or earlier, and the tune ripped is from 1987 too. Relax is greeted, and was founded in 1987 as well.
2022-07-22 12:26
TheRyk

OK Swedish Iron seems plausible
2022-07-22 18:19
hedning

My theory is confirmed by Dino, who was part of the Tibro local scene at that time. Got some good info about Agent 007 as well. He was local scener from Tibro too, just like Iron.

This was a good dig. Thanks TheRyk for questioning my guess. It makes it more exciting, and helps digging up proof and more info.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Zeldin/Cascade
Matt
Acidchild/Padua
csabanw
Didi/Laxity
buzz_clik