Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #225023 : All Hallows' Eve
2022-10-30 13:05
Xiny6581

Release id #225023 : All Hallows' Eve

a

... 21 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-11-04 19:11
Frostbyte

Honcho is absolutely spot on about what I was after with my comment. I am interested about the making of this demo from project and people management point of view, as well as keeping the script and design consistent throughout the production, especially given the large number of people, short timeframe, and the fact that probably quite a few of the collaborators hadn't worked together before.

I'm very familiar with collaboration tools, a little too familiar one might say. I've worked in IT for over 15 years and nearly eight of that remotely. Tools certainly do help, but they won't resolve many issues with people management, managing goals, expectations, timelines, deadlines, keeping team members motivated, resolving issues with people chemistry... And when everything else is in order, getting people to use those tools correctly and efficiently can be a challenge too. Or even getting them to use the damn tools. Some people passionately hate Slack. :)

From my personal experience, teams of 5-10 people are about perfect for productivity and quality of the end result, though even then everyone needs to play well together, have good chemistry and feel committed to the same goal. Anything more than that, and yes, work will go a lot faster (up to a limit), but the quality in turn very easily goes down, and a lot of other issues may arise. It's just simply much harder to manage a project with 30 people vs. a project with <10 people. And just imagine, if those people wouldn't be your standard "I just work here" minions, but all very passionate, talented, artistic people with possibly strong opinions, views of what is good and what is bad, what is the right amount of seriousness and scene poetry vs. goofing around, if they feel the theme of the production is truly worth their effort or if they feel like it's not really their thing and thus they don't feel fully motivated, etc etc etc...

To me, pulling such project through in just over three months with 30 team members and actually achieving something great is very impressive. Anyone who has ever worked in IT can't deny that. If you can, let me you where you work and if you have any open positions. ;)

What comes to fairness of such mega co-op vs. demos made by small teams, demomaking is a competitive sport - if you can't beat'em, join'em! Or do something else, where you can excel. Speaking of which, my absolute favourite from the compo that I've already watched 20+ times over and that made it into my personal list of top 10 demos of all time is somewhere in top 4, but it isn't necessarily Halloween themed. ;)
2022-11-04 21:08
Raistlin

“You’re out of order, I’m out of order, this whole discussion is out of order!”
/Al Pacino

So, my 2c/2p on this dumb discussion.

Pre-canned Animation vs Real-time. Doesn’t matter. Let voters decide. If they don’t know the difference - you win! They were entertained regardless.

Single group vs multi-group. Doesn’t matter! Hell, hide the fact that it’s multi group if you like, pretend it’s all made by one guy. Let voters decide.

1-3 month production or 5 years (“hi Preformers! Hi Censor!”) .. doesn’t matter. Let voters decide.

In summary: STFU and let voters decide. Stop being Karens.
2022-11-04 21:41
Burglar

I want to speak to the manager
2022-11-05 01:16
TheRyk

I'm listening, Burg!

Oh wait, please, come back later

(when I'm not working...)

*hangs a "BTT" sign in the window and runs*
2022-11-05 02:32
anonym

Quote: Making a distinction between many-authors demos and few-authors demos should be left to the voters, just like judging about "realtime" vs "animation". =)

Separate compos would be stupid for both of these distinctions.

For once, I totally agree with Krill. Mark this day in the calendar.
2022-11-05 02:32
anonym

Quote: I want to speak to the manager

Okay, Karen.
2022-11-05 02:36
anonym

Quote: For once, I totally agree with Krill. Mark this day in the calendar.

Actually it was twice this week that I agreed with Krill. Wow.
2022-11-05 07:10
wacek

Thanks for your comments, Frostbyte. It was a pleasure to read it and understand your perspective.

As for you Raistlin, the discusion is not dumb, if anyone behaved here like a fucking rude redneck obnoxious Karen, it was you. So I guess hey, fuck you too? I don’t give a fuck who you are and what you do, I will discuss whatever I want and you just lost all the respect and authority you ever had in my eyes.
2022-11-05 09:56
TheRyk

OK let's just agree that
a) most of the ON-topic points have been discussed for a week
b) some users don't agree with others - as usual
c) everybody took their chance to karenize around or call each other Karen.

*closed*
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
wil
Alakran_64
Scooby/G★P/Light
Guests online: 152
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)