Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Tools for beginner
2007-08-04 11:33
Dr. 8 Bit
Account closed

Tools for beginner

Hi guys!! I'm totally new here... :P
I would like to make a logo and...can anyone tell me some tools for beginner??
other question...there is something like "LOGO FOR DUMMIES"?? or a guide for beginner?
thanks a lot guyz!!

... 50 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-04-22 23:54
Sampaguita
Account closed

I'm new to this topic too. I did some graphics some 20 years ago, so it's like return from start. I kinda remember that Amica Paint und Paint Magic were running pretty smooth, but as I have no idea what is expected/required/prefered I wanted to hear what you would recommend as starting package. I don't want to use PhotoShop and converters, but create the images (old style) handmade.

Are there any technical things I should read before (any wikis or such) to get a better idea of how c64 graphics work? Are there any manuals around for at least 1 or 2 more common painting tools? I still have alot of time til my first promised deadline (late december = tUM), so I think I can take my time for this. :)

Furthermore... do I have to use an original C64 (I still have a C64G), or would it be better/more efficient to use an emulator (which one? VICE or CCS64?)? I already found a tool to reconfigure all the keys, to be able to use my PC-keyboard instead of a Joystick. :D

Thanks!
2008-04-23 10:04
Archmage

Sampaguita: I don't know about wikis, but I learned a lot from this: Breakpoint 06 c64 Graphics Seminar

If you want to do pictures on da real thing, I recommend getting hold of a C1351 mouse and to use Pixel Perfect: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=57070. Alternatively, you can use the same program in an emulator with a pc mouse (I think).

If you use pc and want to do logoz, I can hardly give enough praise to Project One by Oswald (even if he never releases that update ;) ). Mind you, the colours you get on the pc screen differ a bit from what you end up with on the real thing, so you need to double check them on a C64 before you release anything. Project One V0.5

Good luck!!!
2008-04-23 10:30
yago

Sampaquita: It depends in what context the Picture will be used. e.g. if you want your Picture to be used in a Demo, talk with the Coder about the requirement, e.g. I very often need paintmagic pictures, not koala (amicapaint) or fli (a rastertime-consuming picture format, which allows more colors)

For standalone Pictures, you can use any tool and format you like, but often Workstages are required, so keep early versions of your picture.

I hope i didnt completely misunderstood you :-)

Have Fun,
Zed
2008-04-23 22:38
Sampaguita
Account closed

Thank you both for your helpful hints and comments. :)

I think I'll start by reading through the graphics seminar. I already tried ProjectOne, but my graphics card sometimes seem to do some weird things when using it (only the preview works correctly, the zoomed workspace isn't showing anything at all). With PaintMagic I did some first steps, which turned out pretty well. I think I'll paint on my PC and do the final touch on my C64.

But before I go on I'll read into the topic, as I don't think I'd get very far without the basics. ;)
2008-04-28 21:35
Sampaguita
Account closed

My picture for ReWired-party is almost done, but I start wondering how to check it on my C64 as I used ProjectOne (and Koala as format) to create the picture? I think I somewhere had a cable for my PC64 emu to connect a C64 with a PC via serial/centronics port. Just in case I can't find it anymore, what can I do about it? Or shall I just hope to find a way when I'm on the party (which would be a bit embarrassing to me)?

Sorry for some stupid questions, but I promise it will get better. ;)
2008-04-28 21:47
bugjam

You would need a Xx1541-cable to link a 1541 to the PC, then you could write the .d64 to a real disk using Star Commander. It´s a lot to explain, just try googling for d64 converter or Star Commander or something similar.
But on the party you will also find someone to do the work for sure! :-)
Btw: looking forward for your first picture! :-) I was thinking to make a compopic for ReWired as well, but I decided not to as they don´t have a seperate C64- (or at least oldschool pixel-) GFX compo. But it would have been only a remote entry anyway.
2008-04-29 03:33
Oswald

Sampaguita, koala is not an executable format, it only holds the picture data. however it is very simple to write a displayer for it. I (or just about any other coder) can write a displayer for you. see my personal page for my email, or ask the organizers, probably they can do both the xfering&displayer at the party for you (in case you would want to work on the picture till the last moments). if they have the gear all it takes is only a few minutes.
2008-04-29 06:50
Mace

Or try Little Koala-Shower...
2008-04-29 07:49
JackAsser

2007-08-04:
Oh hey I'm totally new to this and the scene is soooo cool!!! I want to draw my first logo EVER. What tools should I use?

2007-08-07:
Woha guys, I love you all!

Today:
JackAsser wonders what the fuck happened. Why is it that most newbies quickly loose interest? Are they genuinely not interested to begin with?
2008-04-29 08:28
yago

About transferring... there are different ways, the cheapest being x1541 (like already said) the most comfortable/wide spread is rr+rrnet (which is a cartridge with ethernet, costing ca. 100€)

Thats the best Thing about paintmagic: it has a displayer builtin, just load with ,8 instead of ,8,1

JackAsser: dont be unfair, sometimes people need a kickstart, then silently pixel in their dark cavern, and come out of it the next year with awesome stuff!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRyk/MYD!
Exile/Anubis
bugjam
CA$H/TRiAD
grasstust/Hoaxers
Credo